Next car after ID.3

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
fatman

Post by fatman »

Hi all,

Had an ID3 for three years now and its been great. Looking for a change and thinking of chosing either the New Hyundai Kona Ev or New Skoda Enyaq 85 X Sportsline Ev.

Anyone have any thoughts good or bad on the above, which one would you go for?
Max PRO Moonstone Grey August 2021. Software v3.2 [dealership]

TimF

Post by TimF »

I know someone with a Kona and have been out in it with them as a passenger. It has excellent range, but rear legroom is restricted - perhaps a fair bit of the car's bulk is crumple zone and insulation? Dashboard / infotainment looked better than VW's.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Worth noting the new Kona is bigger than the old one but also not quite as impressively efficient.
An Enyaq is still a bigger car and will also have a bit more range.
I've only sat in an Enyaq but it's very nice inside. We aren't fans of the exterior look though. If you like that and if they are the same price, I would go Enyaq...if the Kona is cheaper, it just depends how much the extra space and battery is worth to you. Both should be very nice cars and both have just been refreshed so have the latest tech etc.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
StewartManley

Post by StewartManley »

TimF wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:08 am ...rear legroom is restricted - perhaps a fair bit of the car's bulk is crumple zone and insulation?
No. It's an ICE platform, not dedicated EV.
2021 Tour Pro S, software v3.2, Stonewashed Blue.
lntelligent Octopus Go. Zappi. Solar.
EV driver since early 2018. E-cyclist. Retired.
Octopus referral https://share.octopus.energy/tough-lark-325
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

According to the reviews Hyundai are saying the new Kona was designed as an EV first and then modified for ICE
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

As I mentioned in the other forum, I would look at the ID4 because of the AP of £1499
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Bromsgroveuser wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:44 pm According to the reviews Hyundai are saying the new Kona was designed as an EV first and then modified for ICE
It's sort of arbitrary what came first. The platform has to have space for the engine and ancillary ICE equipment as an alternative to battery, motor etc, which means there are compromises. For example it has to have a fairly long bonnet which MEB cars don't, and usually a transmission tunnel. But in my view, in itself the fact it's combined with ICE is not a problem if the end result does what you want.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
MattP

Post by MattP »

I’m very tempted to have a good look at the BYD. Looks a lot of car for the money.
Octopus referral

https://share.octopus.energy/plum-mouse-3910
fatman

Post by fatman »

thanks for all reply......please keep posting
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

MattP wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:26 pm I’m very tempted to have a good look at the BYD. Looks a lot of car for the money.
You're not on your own. They sold 1.6 million BEVs, last year. I think their biggest issue over here is the lack of dealerships but, they're saying they are going to be expanding. Chatting with one of the sales staff at the KIA garage in Chichester, they said they're going to be going to be selling them soon.

BBC News - China’s BYD overtakes Tesla's electric car sales in last quarter of 2023
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67860232
Glacier white, Life Pro. August 2021
MattP

Post by MattP »

Thanks for that update.
Octopus referral

https://share.octopus.energy/plum-mouse-3910
Jonr37

Post by Jonr37 »

I know this will divide opinion, but I'd have a look at a Tesla Model Y. (you can't see the outside when you are sat inside :D )

Similar price bracket and size to the Hyundai and Skoda you are looking at

They do test drives, really easy to do, book online, turn up and they chuck you the "keys" and send you out on your own for 30 mins
Twisted enigma

Post by Twisted enigma »

We’ve ordered a Enyaq as the internal space and boot size swung it. The wife was very anti Skoda, until we test drove one. The ID3 and Enyaq share a lot of DNA, to the point the wife like it and did note how similar some aspects were. As we love the ID3 and the change is forced as I now use a wheelchair, we went for the Enyaq and we looked across a lot of available EV’s on motability at the time.
Besides who wouldn’t like a 4 wheel drive EV with 282bhp… Joking aside we ordered a 85x at the start of October and it’s in the uk awaiting delivery to the dealership. Time spent looking and test driving will pay off.
iD3 max
Manganese with bike rack prep added October 22
Ordered 12th August 21
Motability customer
Order number ********

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
fatman

Post by fatman »

Jonr37 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:01 pm I know this will divide opinion, but I'd have a look at a Tesla Model Y. (you can't see the outside when you are sat inside :D )

Similar price bracket and size to the Hyundai and Skoda you are looking at

They do test drives, really easy to do, book online, turn up and they chuck you the "keys" and send you out on your own for 30 mins
i am motability custmer ,and tesla is not on list
fatman

Post by fatman »

Twisted enigma wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:35 pm We’ve ordered a Enyaq as the internal space and boot size swung it. The wife was very anti Skoda, until we test drove one. The ID3 and Enyaq share a lot of DNA, to the point the wife like it and did note how similar some aspects were. As we love the ID3 and the change is forced as I now use a wheelchair, we went for the Enyaq and we looked across a lot of available EV’s on motability at the time.
Besides who wouldn’t like a 4 wheel drive EV with 282bhp… Joking aside we ordered a 85x at the start of October and it’s in the uk awaiting delivery to the dealership. Time spent looking and test driving will pay off.
hi did you oick 85 edition or 85xsportline plus .are you getting heat pump?as enyaq i am looking as you say big boot for wheelchair
Twisted enigma

Post by Twisted enigma »

We picked the 85x as the deposit for what we got was reasonable, in my opinion. In the ID3 it’s my wheel chair of clothes when we go on holiday 🤦🏻‍♂️.

We didn’t go for the heat pump, we’ve not got one in the ID3, I didn’t want to increase the down payment any further. We’ve not suffered too much in the ID3 without one. I’ve not done the math to see if what we would save running the heating would balance out by the end of the lease.
iD3 max
Manganese with bike rack prep added October 22
Ordered 12th August 21
Motability customer
Order number ********

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Twisted enigma wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:46 pm We picked the 85x as the deposit for what we got was reasonable, in my opinion. In the ID3 it’s my wheel chair of clothes when we go on holiday 🤦🏻‍♂️.

We didn’t go for the heat pump, we’ve not got one in the ID3, I didn’t want to increase the down payment any further. We’ve not suffered too much in the ID3 without one. I’ve not done the math to see if what we would save running the heating would balance out by the end of the lease.
A lot of people were comparing heat pump costs early in ID3 life because they became controversial after not performing as well as VW had promised. I remember the topic coming up on here in 2021. The price was reduced after a while and some early buyers got compensation of the price difference. The general consensus seemed to be that in a UK climate you were very unlikely to earn back the £1000 cost in heat pump savings. You need to be living somewhere colder for that to be realistic. It should give you a small improvement in winter range though, so if that's important it could be worth it. Not on a cost balance basis.