Scheduled Charging

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Sdotk

Post by Sdotk »

Midgex wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:14 pm Surely "I need the car always charged and ready to go at any moment" is absolutely the simplest control case?

Set it to charge immediately and "fully" when it is plugged in, and plug in when one gets home.

Its this business of wanting to charge to 30% using anything to hand, then charge to 80% between 0200 and 0500 and charge up to 85% using power from the solar panels at any time if that is surplus that makes this into a complex system.

"Charge to 80% now, and then charge up to 99% at 0850, turning on the heating to reach 20.5 degrees at 0855" is also a clearly desirable but slightly complicated instruction.
I just want it to charge as much as it can, as fast as it can between 23:30 and 5:30. It’s a simple ask that no previous EV I’ve had couldn’t manage.

The only difference is I’m now on intelligent Octopus. However, I am now starting to think the extra 2 hours and lower unit price is more hassle than it’s worth!

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Just a quick update.With the problems I was seeing with IOG charging schedules, I thought I had a way that would guarantee a charge, by ignoring IOG and using the car’s timers. It worked once or twice, but it doesn’t work now. Car is booked in for the 15th Jan (earliest loan car). The car will be 3 years old in September. I really like the driving experience but I’m not sure I really want any more of these issues. Especially out of warranty.
Sdotk

Post by Sdotk »

My workaround at the moment is…

* Switch off (removed device) from intelligent octopus as per someone’s suggestion on here
* Removed car schedule and location
* Only using charger schedule - car LED goes red within 30-60 seconds but charger app shows it’s plugged in.

At 23:30, car wakes up and starts charging. I was having an issue where it would charge at full power for a while then slow down to 2-3kW.

Toggled the reduce AC current setting on and off (from the app) and since then it’s been perfect. Fully charges the car at the full 7kW and I even get notifications from the app when charging starts and ends now!

I’m conscious I’m technically breaking intelligent T&Cs, I tried calling octopus to have a convo with them but the hold time started to annoy me. Will try them again during the week.