Charge at Preferred Times not working

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
SteveJ180

Post by SteveJ180 »

My car has recently been updated to 3.2 and all seemed to go well. I have tried to start using the Charge at Prefererd Times function by creating a location for my home charger and setting the times to 0030-0430. I leave the car and toggle it from Charge Immediately to Charge at Preferred Times and all seems well, charging is paused and this is reflected in both the car and the app.

Then randomly during the evening it will start charging, having switched itself to Charge Immediately. I can go into the app and switch it back okay, but then it will switch itself again. I've caught it several times on each of the last three evenings. Has anyone else experienced this and know how to overcome it?
ID.3 Life Pro | 58kW | Moonstone Grey | since September 2021

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Haven't seen that. Occasionally I have switched to charge for a departure time in the app and it has done that, but it's only ever done it once per session and not repeated the trick. I haven't seen the problem with preferred times. Are you toggling from charge immediately to charge @ preferred times in the car or in the app? If the app, then I would suggest doing it in the car (via the goodbye screen or the charging menu) just before you get out and plug in. In case you have a problem caused by the app not syncing right.

If that doesn't help, have you got a schedule set in your charger as well? If so it might be worth trying with that turned off in case it is causing some strange behaviour...but it's a stretch.

Another thought, is something else waking the car up? When it is properly turned on and driven, it resets itself to charge immediately...but this shouldn't happen while it's on the drive.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Dollop

Post by Dollop »

I also have this problem, I’m trying different combinations but am getting so frustrated with VW software issues, can’t they get anything so basic right.
M0re85

Post by M0re85 »

Hi all,
I am facing the same wrong behavior. What I could investigate in my case is the next: This is an issue with the car software when using a charger with overload protection. The chargers that are adapting their power during time, to not overpass your maximum power contracted. The dynamic power signal of the charger makes the car software crazy, restarting and missing the configuration of “preferred hours” to default “charge immediately”
Regards,
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

M0re85 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:47 am Hi all,
I am facing the same wrong behavior. What I could investigate in my case is the next: This is an issue with the car software when using a charger with overload protection. The chargers that are adapting their power during time, to not overpass your maximum power contracted. The dynamic power signal of the charger makes the car software crazy, restarting and missing the configuration of “preferred hours” to default “charge immediately”
Regards,
It's true in general that if the charger does anything smart, the car is more likely to be upset and do something it shouldn't because it thinks there is a fault in the system. Often limit the charge rate to 16A. But it wouldn't surprise me if it reacted to a forced power reduction from the charger by cancelling the schedule and reverting to the most basic mode. Ideally you don't want the charger to do anything other than send a constant 32A whenever the car requests it. But clearly if you actually need the charger to load balance because you are drawing a high load to the rest of the house, then you need a different solution. Might be better to schedule through the charger if it's common.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

I had some issues with the car not talking to the charger. I contacted Indra and they suggested turning off the Privacy settings in the car in order for the car to wake up when you plug the charger in - there's no charging settings set up in the car or app and no Home location set, so I'm guessing the car is out of the loop and dumb... and all timings are done with the charger times. The charger is in solitary control of charging times, in collusion with Kaluza/OVO, and so far so good 🤞
I don't know how other companies set-up works and it might need the car to be part of the set-up but I like the idea of removing the ID.3 from software decisions...
Good luck.
Glacier white, Life Pro. August 2021