6% battery 12 miles - only enough for "manoeuvring"

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
autoslow

Post by autoslow »

My ID3 is on the waiting list for some HV battery work at Inchape Exeter. Been told no parts available and need to wait 12 months.
Today the vehicle wouldn't allow me to drive to a charging destination - and only permitted "manoeuvring" (red snail display) even though 12 miles of range displayed.
Has this now tipped into unacceptable performance?
Thanks

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

If you left it to go cold overnight with low SoC, that's what you should expect. VW recommend charging to at least 20% before leaving the car for this exact reason. If the battery was warm at the time you have a problem.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
autoslow

Post by autoslow »

Thanks somewhere in between - travelled this morning for 30 mins and had left the car for 2 hours before returning to see this message
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

All batteries, regardless of chemistry don't like being 'deep cycled', even heavy duty batteries that are labelled for deep cycling will last longer if treated gently.

I strongly recommend not letting the charge get below 20% ever, as the risk of totally flattening
the cars LIPOs from either severe cold or a 'must have' last dash to a charger is too great.

My sympathy if you are being forced to low charge running by probs with the car.

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max
White with East Derry Alloys
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Boattrainman wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:05 pm All batteries, regardless of chemistry don't like being 'deep cycled', even heavy duty batteries that are labelled for deep cycling will last longer if treated gently.

I strongly recommend not letting the charge get below 20% ever, as the risk of totally flattening
the cars LIPOs from either severe cold or a 'must have' last dash to a charger is too great.

My sympathy if you are being forced to low charge running by probs with the car.

Rob
I think that's a bit strong. When you are on a trip I recommend using it, otherwise you shorten the available range and (on a trip with a rapid charging stop) significantly reduce your possible charging speed. Remember the battery does have a bottom buffer below zero. However when you run the battery very low you should always put it on charge that night and ideally straight away. This is what VW recommend. This is also why the car charging system contains a useful function to charge to an immediate level (10-50%) immediately on plugin, and then complete the charge to the target (50-100%) in a preferred time slot or at a departure time. It means you can easily set it up so that it will charge immediately to 10 or 20% and then continue later in your cheap period. Or charge immediately to 50% and then continue later to be ready for a planned departure, etc.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

Roger that sidehaas.

I suggest you are right, but I wouldn't do it on a regular basis, regardless of VWs advice.

Just as a way of comparison, I have six PBs (four deep cycle leisure and two engine start on my boat), they are never discharged below 50%, most of the batteries are over 10 years old and still going strong.

I would consider LIPOs to be more chemically sensitive (i.e, less robust) than lead acid or AGMs.

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max
White with East Derry Alloys