First long trip tomorrow in ID.3

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Sparhawk

Post by Sparhawk »

Actually first long trip in any EV. Rayleigh to Liverpool, 450m round trip. Confused whether to use the car navigation with charging stations recommended or electroverse (We are with Octopus so it comes bundled in) . We will see which one works best for us as we will obviously need to charge 2 or 3 times to complete in winter.
Had our ID.3 for a couple of months so far and absolutely love EVs now

Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

Well done Sparhawk, just did similar 500km round trip over Xmas. Two short top ups enroute to complete trip.

I actually did a quick search on the chosen route and picked best charge locations plus back ups, took about ten mins to sort.

Trip was stress free.

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max
White with East Derry Alloys
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

The car's route planner is better than the Electroverse planner, but you are better to identify charging hubs yourself ideally. Neither of those systems will reliably avoid small sites that could be busy. Just assume to start with that 100% charge is about 180 motorway miles and aim not to drop below 20% on your first trip. Only plan to use sites with 6 or more rapids. If you then programme your trip in to the car, it'll tell you what SoC to expect on arrival at each destination.

There are good sites on that route now at several services on each of the M1 and M6, I recommend using wattsup or zapmap to find them.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
duncsand

Post by duncsand »

I second this, it's really good advice. There's nothing worse than turning up at a site with 10% charge and finding one or two charger, both in use. I always choose sites with larger numbers of chargers to avoid this situation. I've not found any automated planning solutions that take this into account, so use ZapMap seek out good sites on my journey. This has worked really well - I've done several trips from Kent to Scotland and not had any issues. Bookmarking good sites on your journey ahead of time in ZapMap makes them easier to find again.
sidehaas wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:40 pm The car's route planner is better than the Electroverse planner, but you are better to identify charging hubs yourself ideally. Neither of those systems will reliably avoid small sites that could be busy. Just assume to start with that 100% charge is about 180 motorway miles and aim not to drop below 20% on your first trip. Only plan to use sites with 6 or more rapids. If you then programme your trip in to the car, it'll tell you what SoC to expect on arrival at each destination.

There are good sites on that route now at several services on each of the M1 and M6, I recommend using wattsup or zapmap to find them.
---
id.3 Family Pro Performance.
Ordered September 2021, build week 25, confirmed built 1st July, collected from dealer 20th July.
SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety »

Best app I've found for comprehensive real-time charger status is ChargeFinder (also works in non-UK). Try the web-based version on your PC - https://chargefinder.com/en
id3 Max 2021
Midgex

Post by Midgex »

Charge to more than 80% before departure! 100% if you can have it come up just before departing.
And warm up on charge.

Contemplate where you would like lunch.
StewartManley

Post by StewartManley »

duncsand wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:10 pm I always choose sites with larger numbers of chargers [...] I've not found any automated planning solutions that take this into account...
ABRP does this.
2021 Tour Pro S, software v3.2, Stonewashed Blue.
lntelligent Octopus Go. Zappi. Solar.
EV driver since early 2018. E-cyclist. Retired.
Octopus referral https://share.octopus.energy/tough-lark-325
Shahev

Post by Shahev »

If you don't have a destination charger at your destination, you'll probably need to charge somewhere close to your destination to ensure enough charge to start your return leg. Assume 30% less range in winter temperatures.
Sparhawk

Post by Sparhawk »

All done.mWas over 500 miles all in all. I charged only on the M1 and M6. Places are a bit of a mixed bag. I found gridserve and applegreen quite OK but the 2 instances of BP pulse were not. Shows up as a 350k charger but charges at 38k/h when there was only us. 4 chargers and only 2 working as well.
But we very much enjoyed our trip and really no range anxiety at all.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Glad it went well. Yes BP are down at the bottom of my choice of network. Almost below last resort…
Gwyver

Post by Gwyver »

Last month I discovered that there are now 14 Gridserve rapid chargers (in addition to the 10 Tesla only chargers) at M6 Hilton Park Northbound services.
This upgrade has only just appeared on the ZapMap app.
rsim483269@aol.com

Post by rsim483269@aol.com »

BE warned on a long or any trip. No spare wheel was supplied or suggested with my ID3. I've had two blowouts. RAC can't help because new tyre needed and their recommended cowboys ripped us off with unmatching and wrong tyres fitted - which, you've guessed it, we had to replace.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Sparhawk wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:07 pm All done.mWas over 500 miles all in all. I charged only on the M1 and M6. Places are a bit of a mixed bag. I found gridserve and applegreen quite OK but the 2 instances of BP pulse were not. Shows up as a 350k charger but charges at 38k/h when there was only us. 4 chargers and only 2 working as well.
Which BP sites out of interest?
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Midgex

Post by Midgex »

Sparhawk wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:07 pm ... 2 instances of BP pulse were not. Shows up as a 350k charger but charges at 38k/h when there was only us.

Good, well done. (How was lunch?)

You know that regardless, we only get 100kW from a charger, and that only in perfect specific conditions? I've seen it on a newish BP charger (in Honiton).
The battery has to be warm, which I might wonder about in this weather toward Brum, but not too warm, and the state of charge has to be rather low, and only then do limits to the supply to the charger start to be a factor.

I suspect a proportion of chargers put in now are capable of dispensing much more than the cable leading to them is able to deliver, and are there because the supply will be upgraded, or because the newer machines are better, even at low powers.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

rsim483269@aol.com wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:59 pm BE warned on a long or any trip. No spare wheel was supplied or suggested with my ID3. I've had two blowouts. RAC can't help because new tyre needed and their recommended cowboys ripped us off with unmatching and wrong tyres fitted - which, you've guessed it, we had to replace.
As long as you're in warranty (3 years) ALWAYS call VW assist - who will send the AA. They can fit some sort of universal tyre replacement wheel and follow you to a fitter or get it towed there. It won't help with a blow out but a can of goo and compressor (£20 on amazon) can help you out with a puncture. Why VW stopped supplying this with the non self sealing tyres I don't know...
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

MotMot wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:27 am
rsim483269@aol.com wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:59 pm BE warned on a long or any trip. No spare wheel was supplied or suggested with my ID3. I've had two blowouts. RAC can't help because new tyre needed and their recommended cowboys ripped us off with unmatching and wrong tyres fitted - which, you've guessed it, we had to replace.
As long as you're in warranty (3 years) ALWAYS call VW assist - who will send the AA. They can fit some sort of universal tyre replacement wheel and follow you to a fitter or get it towed there. It won't help with a blow out but a can of goo and compressor (£20 on amazon) can help you out with a puncture. Why VW stopped supplying this with the non self sealing tyres I don't know...
"Why VW stopped supplying this with the non self sealing tyres I don't know...”
Err.. wouldn’t be penny pinching at all, would it?
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I’d prefer it if they did away with the pointless logo on the puddle lights etc.. whilst others may like it - the id light wouldn’t be missed by me either.. 😀
g320y

Post by g320y »

My facelift Launch Edition 1 bought in September 2023 has a compressor and tyre repair “gunk” as part of the standard kit. It doesn’t have the id light.
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

Mentioned before on another thread, the obvious solution to peace of mind (esp on longer trips) is a complete spare wheel and tyre with cheap Halfords jack and wheel brace.

Second hand wheels turn up regularly on Ebay, got a wheel tyre combo from Germany for €270 when I got the car. Lives in the shed 90% of the time, and in the boot when going up country. Jack and brace fits perfectly into the narrow void below the floor with the other bits, just make sure you have the special wheel locking nut adapter and the ring pull to get the plastic bolt covers off (both come with the car in a foam tray).

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max
White with East Derry Alloys
Midgex

Post by Midgex »

MotMot wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:04 pm I’d prefer it if they did away with the pointless logo on the puddle lights etc.. whilst others may like it - the id light wouldn’t be missed by me either.. 😀
I thought the ID light was pointless, but I realise it is having a subliminal influence now I'm used to it and it slightly helps.