Central Locking

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

A new feature has emerged, I can not unlock using the door handle. Locking by touching it is fine, but I have to use the fob button to unlock.

I had a look for the setting about unlocking as you approach, but I couldn't find it. Can someone give an idea where I should be looking to check the central locking setting please?
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I don't think you can independently change keyless unlock/lock functions, they come together I think? So it sounds like a fault rather than a settings change. The door handle keyless functions are unreliable in either very cold or very wet weather but in my experience always come back as soon as it dries/warms. I've seen some people complain they didn't work for a few days on occasions. If you find they stop working for a period of time when it's dry and not really cold, I'd call the dealer. Otherwise just wait it out and use the key fob in the meantime.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
id3_life

Post by id3_life »

Vehicle -> Exterior -> Central Locking -> Unlock Vehicle when approaching
I had to turn this off as it was very annoying for me, the vehicle would unlock/unfold the mirrors every time I walked past it with the key in my pocket.
When unlocking the vehicle make sure to place your fingers behind the door handle and not grab the door handle with your palm resting on it, this will lock instead of unlock the car.
The sensor for locking is on the front of the door handle and the sensor for unlocking is on the back. If you wrap your hand around the door handle it doesn't unlock.
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

Thanks guys.

It seems so old fashioned to use a key fob!!
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
Handydave

Post by Handydave »

DumfriesDik wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:45 am A new feature has emerged, I can not unlock using the door handle. Locking by touching it is fine, but I have to use the fob button to unlock.

I had a look for the setting about unlocking as you approach, but I couldn't find it. Can someone give an idea where I should be looking to check the central locking setting please?
I’ve had this same problem as well since the weather got colder.

Sometimes can’t unlock by touching the inside of the front exterior door handle (either side), and have to unlock via the fob. This usually happens first thing in the morning. At other times it works ok. It’s not the key battery, as the welcome lights display prior to the failed unlocking.

The car always locks when the outside of the door handle is touched on exit.
ID.3 Family 58kWh Pro Performance 204PS | Makena Turquoise | East Derry Alloys
Delivered: May 2023
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Happened to me when it’s wet/very cold.

I’ve turned mine off now - don’t mind using the key fob.
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

It's back working today!! Go figure!!
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
TimF

Post by TimF »

This keylesslessness issue seems to be fairly common. I get it quite a lot, mainly when the car is wet. It took three visits to the workshop before they would believe me that there WAS a problem (they couldn't replicate it, until suddenly it happened for them too). It doesn't get recorded by the car (failing to sense a sensor isn't a fault that can be detected, only a failure to do what sensing a sensor should do). They said they'd notified VW, but so far there's been no further progress.

Now, where have I heard recently the story that multiple users experiencing a fault were all told "nobody else is having a problem"?

Note that, whatever the problems with door locking, the boot lock/unlock always works without having to press the fob button. So the problem must be with the sensor: the car is always detecting that the key is within range.

I've never tried to find out if locking by touching the outside of the handle is similarly flakey - I don't fancy leaving the car unlocked overnight on the drive!