Partial charge on Intelligent Octopus

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
LongMynd

Post by LongMynd »

After a period when it was working perfectly it has recently failed to charge my car up to the required level.
Twice the shortfall was only 2% (charging to 78% when it should have been 80% and to 98% when it should have been 100%).

Last night was more serious.
I requested charge to 80% by 09.00 and set the car charging limit to 80%.

The schedule displayed on the Octopus app was.
11.30pm-12.00
01.30-02.00
02.30-03.00
03.30-04.00
04.30-05.00

That should have been ample time to charge from 59% to 80%.

In the event the car charged at 7kW from ~23.37 till 00.30 and only reached 67%.
None of the later time slots was activated.

Has anyone else had problems?

Charles
Charles.
ID.3 Tour with heat-pump

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Yeah its happened to me a couple of times. Always seems to be when I NEED to have 90 or 100% rather than when its a routine top up!

TBH I don't quite trust it for 'essential' charges and revert to a timed charge within the IO hours....

It has been reliable for the last 6-8 weeks though....
Hopeful

Post by Hopeful »

We had a sort of "variation on this theme" recently. Plugged in and received the usual off peak charging plan however the charger didn't switch off pending the charging plan starting - it continued to charge at peak rate. Raised this with Octopus who really didn't have an answer. It seems to have been a one off though.
Life Pro 58kWh Stonewashed blue with East Derry wheels
fin

Post by fin »

Exactly the same thing happened to me a couple of nights ago. I received the charging plan from Octopus but the initial charging continued as well. I hadn't changed anything in the car, the charger (Podpoint) or the Octopus app. Odd,
B737

Post by B737 »

Similar experience twice before and raised this with Octopus who referred it to their Technical team - they never got back to me.

Most recent experience was just a week ago. I observed that under Intelligent Go it was charging at around 4.5 to 5.0kwh hence it never achieved my 80% as per the Octopus Plan. As always, in this initial plug-in, I got the full 7Kwh but someone a reduce charge via the smart plan. It is clearly a technical fault with Octopus.
VW ID.3 Max Pro Performance - Manganese Grey
LongMynd

Post by LongMynd »

Update. I plugged in tonight and got a red light by the charging port. Went to the cellar to find that the pod point had tripped its RCCD.
Charles.
ID.3 Tour with heat-pump
JP33

Post by JP33 »

Got similar problems with not charging or not charging enough since I changed to IO earlier this week. Previously Zappi had performed well on schedule.

Tried various things including contact Octopus without success.

Going to try by setting a schedule on the Zappi tonight off peak after disabling smart charge on the IO app after reading about it online.

Anyone disabled IO before to do this and does it upset IO?

Thanks
LongMynd

Post by LongMynd »

Update again:
Podpoint came out and replaced the RCCD. The engineer said that that particular brand of RCCD was inclined to give problems. He tested it and it was oversensitive. I did not have to pay for the visit.
Charles.
ID.3 Tour with heat-pump
andy47

Post by andy47 »

This has happened to me twice when the charge rate was reduced to only 1kw/h. In my case I think these were problems due to either some debris in the plug or issues with my Easee Home charger’s authorisation.
ID3 MaxPro
Manganese, alloy wheels "Andoya"
Ordered Sept 21, received July 23
Intelligent Octopus, Easee Home
g320y

Post by g320y »

There could be a problem with your local supply voltage. We have local supply issues on our street with voltage intermittently raising above the statutory supply threshold of 253 volts. Our ohme charger cuts out above 253v for safety purposes and then starts again when supply is back to normal so last night the charger followed the IO schedule but only got to 78% instead of requested 80%. Our DNO know there is an underground line fault (having measured voltage up to 263 volts) but two bigs holes on the street and they have yet to find the culprit. If you have charger disconnecting due to high voltage, flickering lights or find devices stop working (eg broadband disconnecting) etc then report it to your local DNO via the power cut phone number 105 which will direct your call to the correct supplier for your area.
beacon39

Post by beacon39 »

There's a message hidden away in the Octopus app -

"VW Group brands : Audi, Skoda, SEAT, Cupra, Porsche, Volkswagen (status :ongoing)
Some customers have an incomplete charging schedule and may not meet their target charge. While we work with VWG to fix this technical issue, we'd recommend manually charging your car during the off-peak period via your vehicle or scheduling via your compatible home charging app to ensure youstill receive the applicable benefits of your tariff."
Life Pro Performance, Stonewashed Blue - East Derry alloys - Heat pump
Aberdeen, Scotland
Midgex

Post by Midgex »

g320y wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:38 am There could be a problem with your local supply voltage. We have local supply issues on our street with voltage intermittently raising above the statutory supply threshold of 253 volts. Our ohme charger cuts out above 253v for safety purposes and then starts again when supply is back to normal so last night the charger followed the IO schedule but only got to 78% instead of requested 80%. Our DNO know there is an underground line fault (having measured voltage up to 263 volts) but two bigs holes on the street and they have yet to find the culprit. If you have charger disconnecting due to high voltage, flickering lights or find devices stop working (eg broadband disconnecting) etc then report it to your local DNO via the power cut phone number 105 which will direct your call to the correct supplier for your area.
There are gadgets to regulate the domestic voltage to 220V which are claimed to have assorted merits.
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

beacon39 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:43 pm There's a message hidden away in the Octopus app -

"VW Group brands : Audi, Skoda, SEAT, Cupra, Porsche, Volkswagen (status :ongoing)
Some customers have an incomplete charging schedule and may not meet their target charge. While we work with VWG to fix this technical issue, we'd recommend manually charging your car during the off-peak period via your vehicle or scheduling via your compatible home charging app to ensure youstill receive the applicable benefits of your tariff."
Interesting, as this has been our issue recently after months of no problems at all. We have just set the charge via the Andersen's scheduler.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104