Scheduled charge to 100% — only goes to ~97%?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
N21

Post by N21 »

Hey all. Bit of a strange issue I’m trying to diagnose. My scheduled charges seem to top out at 97% rather than 100%.

For example, if I’ve got a big drive the next day and I set a scheduled charge and climate for 3pm, all is initially well and the flashing green light will illuminate, and charging will kick off later the prior evening.

However, once 3pm is reached the car is holding a charge just shy of 100%, typically around 97%. I’m assuming this is perhaps anomalies in the mains reducing supply overnight, so the car effectively has ‘less’ time than it expected to complete its charge.

Has this happened to anyone else? I’m using a 16A Pod Point home charger. No charger scheduling or smart meter in place.

Many thanks!

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

N21 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:08 pm Hey all. Bit of a strange issue I’m trying to diagnose. My scheduled charges seem to top out at 97% rather than 100%.

For example, if I’ve got a big drive the next day and I set a scheduled charge and climate for 3pm, all is initially well and the flashing green light will illuminate, and charging will kick off later the prior evening.

However, once 3pm is reached the car is holding a charge just shy of 100%, typically around 97%. I’m assuming this is perhaps anomalies in the mains reducing supply overnight, so the car effectively has ‘less’ time than it expected to complete its charge.

Has this happened to anyone else? I’m using a 16A Pod Point home charger. No charger scheduling or smart meter in place.

Many thanks!
Make sure you have moved the percentage slider all the way to 100%. This happened to me and I noticed the slider was just off of 100%. Not obvious. It would be better if this setting was not a slider but an actual number you could input.
N21

Post by N21 »

Scratch wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:32 pm
N21 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:08 pm Hey all. Bit of a strange issue I’m trying to diagnose. My scheduled charges seem to top out at 97% rather than 100%.

Many thanks!
Make sure you have moved the percentage slider all the way to 100%. This happened to me and I noticed the slider was just off of 100%. Not obvious. It would be better if this setting was not a slider but an actual number you could input.
Was definitely 100%! I think it only goes in 10% increments anyway? At least on the mobile app anyway.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Many thanks!
This happens on multiple occasions or just once?
Anomalies in the mains, not sure what you are getting at here you should be able to charge overnight in the same way as daytime?
Typically what SoC are you starting from?

Just to clarify, it sounds like you have a scheduled charge to run overnight then you have a climate event for 3pm. Is 3pm still within the charging window and therefore able to pull from the grid or is the car using the battery for the heating and using the 3%.
N21

Post by N21 »

G43FAN wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:28 am

Many thanks!
This happens on multiple occasions or just once?
Anomalies in the mains, not sure what you are getting at here you should be able to charge overnight in the same way as daytime?
Typically what SoC are you starting from?

Just to clarify, it sounds like you have a scheduled charge to run overnight then you have a climate event for 3pm. Is 3pm still within the charging window and therefore able to pull from the grid or is the car using the battery for the heating and using the 3%.
Hey! Multiple occasions. Re: anomalies, I mean the car expects to be able to draw 3.5kW but is only able to draw say 3kW at some times. Not sure, just thinking out loud!

Yeah so with that example I started a climate/charge schedule for 3pm Sunday. Plugged in early Saturday at 50% or so, the charge kicked in the evening automatically. But come 3pm Sunday, it was only at 97% and still charging as if it ‘missed its deadline’
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Do you have a particularly low home mains voltage?
Speculation, but the car must make some assumption about this and maybe if it's unusually low it won't complete the charge in time (the max charging power being the product of that voltage and 32A, minus losses).
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
N21

Post by N21 »

sidehaas wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:58 am Do you have a particularly low home mains voltage?
Speculation, but the car must make some assumption about this and maybe if it's unusually low it won't complete the charge in time (the max charging power being the product of that voltage and 32A, minus losses).
Honestly not too sure but that’s the only thing I can put it down to. It’s on a 16A circuit rather than 32A due to capacity issues on the consumer unit.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

If it does this all the time then, not sure.
But for instance, If the Charging algorithm left, let's say 2-3 hour window? (6% an hour being your normal rate) for the last 80% - 100% SoC and given your Comment about capacity, was there any high load item running in the house in the time 12pm - 3pm.
N21

Post by N21 »

G43FAN wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:45 pm If it does this all the time then, not sure.
But for instance, If the Charging algorithm left, let's say 2-3 hour window? (6% an hour being your normal rate) for the last 80% - 100% SoC and given your Comment about capacity, was there any high load item running in the house in the time 12pm - 3pm.
Yeah it’s a mystery. I’ll give it another go without climate and see if that changes anything.
Vostick

Post by Vostick »

I have exactly the same issue. Only charges to 97% regardless of prior charge or time of day. Have noticed this for the last few charges
N21

Post by N21 »

Vostick wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:45 am I have exactly the same issue. Only charges to 97% regardless of prior charge or time of day. Have noticed this for the last few charges
Sorry to hear that but I’m pleased it’s not just me! :D
Midgex

Post by Midgex »

I think the chargers and cars talk to each other about the rates they can give and accept at the initial connection and I suspect thereafter. You might think a bit of slack would be designed in, so that the last phase of charging would not need the full nominal capacity of the charger to complete it on time - throttle back charging to 75% or so as it nears the end.
I don't think that solves the problem, I mean to suggest it is probably not a drop in house voltage below 220VAC that is responsible.
MattgID3

Post by MattgID3 »

Do you have the air con set to pre heat the car after charging?
Id3 family pro
Stonewash blue
Ordered 8/8/21
was Eta 17th jan 23
Delivery 14th DEC 2022
Build week 40 confirmed

Location South Gloucestershire
N21

Post by N21 »

MattgID3 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:47 pm Do you have the air con set to pre heat the car after charging?
Yeah, I've noticed this only occurs for scheduled charge and climate. Just charging and it hits 100% as expected.
Midgex

Post by Midgex »

N21 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:43 pm
MattgID3 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:47 pm Do you have the air con set to pre heat the car after charging?
Yeah, I've noticed this only occurs for scheduled charge and climate. Just charging and it hits 100% as expected.
That is disappointing. I'd hoped that the car would warm itself on house current, since it is plugged in and the regime should change to "maintain set state of charge". Perhaps it demands a bit of headspace.
Midgex

Post by Midgex »

I told mine to charge off the Zappi and be ready for a particular departure time. Location: home. Charge ceiling: 80%

It charged up to a couple of hours before that time, and stopped the charge, and then the Zappi software shows a couple of little blips, 250 and 260W for a couple of minutes on the two hour marks, and then 600W for a short but slightly longer time just up to the set time.

The charge the car indicated in the morning was 80% as set.
I didn't actually go anywhere, but the car stayed plugged in, and there have been no more blips since then.

It seems to be arranged about how I would.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Midgex wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:14 pm I told mine to charge off the Zappi and be ready for a particular departure time. Location: home. Charge ceiling: 80%

It charged up to a couple of hours before that time, and stopped the charge, and then the Zappi software shows a couple of little blips, 250 and 260W for a couple of minutes on the two hour marks, and then 600W for a short but slightly longer time just up to the set time.

The charge the car indicated in the morning was 80% as set.
I didn't actually go anywhere, but the car stayed plugged in, and there have been no more blips since then.

It seems to be arranged about how I would.
In my experience when you set a target of 100% it will aim to complete just before the departure time, rather than a couple of hours before.* If you then also set a climate schedule separately this may mean it runs out of time to reach 100%, I'm not sure. In my experience if you just use the "charge and pre condition for a departure time" combined function then it always reaches 100% as desired. However I did find on a few occasions when doing this that the precondition function didn't work and I had to turn it on manually 10 minutes before leaving. It has worked the last few times I did it, so maybe that was a bug that has been fixed.

*it probably behaves differently for a 100% target than a 80% target, given that VW specifically recommend not leaving it sat at 100%
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Midgex

Post by Midgex »

sidehaas wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:18 am *it probably behaves differently for a 100% target than a 80% target, given that VW specifically recommend not leaving it sat at 100%
Concur.
MattgID3

Post by MattgID3 »

Midgex wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:32 am
That is disappointing. I'd hoped that the car would warm itself on house current, since it is plugged in and the regime should change to "maintain set state of charge". Perhaps it demands a bit of headspace.
It should do, I would check times on charger and car to make sure neither set off at departure time.
Id3 family pro
Stonewash blue
Ordered 8/8/21
was Eta 17th jan 23
Delivery 14th DEC 2022
Build week 40 confirmed

Location South Gloucestershire
Midgex

Post by Midgex »

MattgID3 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:14 pm
Midgex wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:32 am

It should do, I would check times on charger and car to make sure neither set off at departure time.
Mine does appear to warm on house current.