key not working after battery change

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
stephen39

Post by stephen39 »

My key has been working but a couple of times I got the feeling there might be a range issue so, as it's over 2 years old, I decided to swap the battery. I know they recommend a dealer but I thought it looked pretty trivial and is described in the manual.
However, after changing the battery it wouldn't work at all. I tried swapping back to the original battery but still no difference. From what I've read the key can lose sync and when I spoke to the dealer they said that is likely and would fix it for a cost of £75.
I have tried the methods described in the manual for re-sync but no joy. I can see no damage at all internally and all the contacts look just like new.
My concern is that the red LED on the key doesn't flash when I press the buttons. My spare key works fine and the light flashes so I'm worried that there is a more serious fault that might involve buying a new key - presumably at an astronomical price?

fatman

Post by fatman »

try may be another better make battery.
Max PRO Moonstone Grey August 2021. Software v3.2 [dealership]
stephen39

Post by stephen39 »

I did try an alternative battery (as well as putting the original working one back) but it didn't make any difference. However, yesterday evening I had a further try as I was convinced it ought to at least flash the LED even if there was a sync issue. I took the battery out and put it back in again and IT WORKED! Also it unlocks and locks the car so no sync issue.
I'm not sure what the problem was - maybe some dirt or dust on the contact, or perhaps it needed a few seconds with the battery out to reset it somehow. Anyway, I can cancel the re-sync job with the dealer now so £75 saved :-)
EdinburghID3

Post by EdinburghID3 »

Im sure I read somewhere that putting the key in the cup holder area re-pairs it with the car. Perhaps it re-paired while you were in the car? Presumably the cup holder is just the optimal position being in the centre?
Family Pro: East Derry Wheels: Moonstone Grey
Software v3.2
Zappi V2 Charger

Octopus referral code - https://share.octopus.energy/ready-ape-905
(Currently £100 split 50/50)
danielt

Post by danielt »

If I understood it correctly there's an "emergency" sensor in the cup holder that allows keys with a dead battery to start the car. You can use the physical emergency key to open the door (the alarm will go off) then put the key in the cup holder and press the "ignition" button: the alarm stops and the car is ready to drive.
SimonID

Post by SimonID »

Just been through the exact same scenario. My conclusion is it started working once I’d made sure the manual key was fully clipped back into place. Watched it happen before I put the cover back on. Been messing around an hour then eventually spotted this.
Deolm

Post by Deolm »

I’ve just had the same issue on a VW Multivan which uses the same key. I replaced both key batteries with non-branded batteries (both measured 3.2 V on a multimeter). After the swap only one key worked, but without the red blinking light. The other key did nothing even after trying a few other new batteries.

I then purchased Panasonic ones and both keys came fully back to life. The new Panasonics came up at 3.25 V so not sure if this was the cause, but the old Panasonic ones I took out were down at 2.95 and still worked so I’m not really sure. My tip is to go branded.