Incorrect range reported in the App.

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
FrancisJK

Post by FrancisJK »

Choose km in the app settings and the range shown will be miles - thus supporting those who have noticed the faulty miles/km conversion.

Mikster

Post by Mikster »

Just had my car in to upgrade from 2.4 to 3.2. Definitely noticing a huge improvement in the car itself - interface feels far more responsive BUT exactly the same behaviour everyone has reported here with regards the miles/km issue. Km units in the app is the correct miles number and the conversion factor is the wrong way around….🙄
Family Pro Performance, Moonstone Grey, East Derry Alloys, Bike Hitch
Ordered - 31/7/21
Confirmed Build Week - 46
Delivery - 14/1/22
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Mikster wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:54 am Just had my car in to upgrade from 2.4 to 3.2. Definitely noticing a huge improvement in the car itself - interface feels far more responsive BUT exactly the same behaviour everyone has reported here with regards the miles/km issue. Km units in the app is the correct miles number and the conversion factor is the wrong way around….🙄
I have no idea how the app finally rectifies this situation, but I had exactly that issue for ages. It now seems to be mostly OK. Just the odd glitch, just after charging. Stick with it and it may just “magically” put itself right.
ar76

Post by ar76 »

I have a new ID.3 and this still seems to be the case. Correct when the car is on but often seems to be converted to miles TWICE when the car is off
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

ar76 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:45 am I have a new ID.3 and this still seems to be the case. Correct when the car is on but often seems to be converted to miles TWICE when the car is off
Interesting, when you say new, is it the facelift model or/and on software 3.5, or have you bought a pre-facelft car that is still on 3.2? I thought this was supposed to be fixed in 3.5.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
ar76

Post by ar76 »

sidehaas wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:47 am
ar76 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:45 am I have a new ID.3 and this still seems to be the case. Correct when the car is on but often seems to be converted to miles TWICE when the car is off
Interesting, when you say new, is it the facelift model or/and on software 3.5, or have you bought a pre-facelft car that is still on 3.2? I thought this was supposed to be fixed in 3.5.
It’s an ID.3 150KW Max Pro Perf, with a 73 plate, delivered with nothing on the clock. It installed a firmware update 2 days ago, so assuming it is at the latest? But I can't see 3.anything showing.

This is what it says in Settings / System Information in the car itself:

Code: Select all

Device part number: 10A035816J
Hardware: H30
Software: 0561
Display unit/control panel hardware: H49
Display unit/control panel software: 3080
Navigation database:
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

ar76 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:44 am
sidehaas wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:47 am
It’s an ID.3 150KW Max Pro Perf, with a 73 plate, delivered with nothing on the clock. It installed a firmware update 2 days ago, so assuming it is at the latest? But I can't see 3.anything showing.

This is what it says in Settings / System Information in the car itself:

Code: Select all

Device part number: 10A035816J
Hardware: H30
Software: 0561
Display unit/control panel hardware: H49
Display unit/control panel software: 3080
Navigation database:
If it was sold as a Max it'll probably be pre facelift, as the facelift models have different specs. Don't worry there isn't huge difference, mainly cosmetic. Does it have a black strip below the windscreen or does the paint go all the way to the windscreen on the bonnet? If it has the black strip, it's pre facelift.
Some pre facelift cars may have 3.5 but the majority will be on 3.2. I suspect yours is on 3.2 and (if) we ever get an update to 3.5 this small bug should I understand be fixed.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
ar76

Post by ar76 »

I guess this is the black strip you're talking about?

Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 11.02.11.png

So... are some updates on some models not available over the air?
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

ar76 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:03 am I guess this is the black strip you're talking about?
Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 11.02.11.png

So... are some updates on some models not available over the air?
Yes, that's a pre facelift car.
There has been a long saga of OTA and dealer updates. Cars built before 3.0 were all supposed to get 3.0 OTA last year. However that ran in to trouble during trial waves when about 5% of cars receiving the update were bricked on peoples' driveways and had to be trucked to the dealer (mine was updated successfully fwiw). As a result VW decided to update all cars at the dealer instead, and put them all straight to 3.2 instead of 3.0. That takes a long time - it has been going on since the spring and is far from finished because each car takes at least a day and if there are problems it takes longer. Some dealers are more competent than others.
The official position is that OTA updates will continue once the older cars are up to 3.2, but no one is expecting that to happen soon and it's fair to say there is a lot of scepticism on owner's groups considering the difficulties encountered to date. Also because VW have now showcased 4.0 on the new ID7 and ID4/5 updates, but some of the new features in 4.0 seem to require new hardware. Regardless, 3.2 is a big improvement over early versions. Your car will likely have been built with 3.2. 3.5 does not extend any functionality over 3.2, it's just minor bug fixes.
ar76

Post by ar76 »

All good to know, thanks! It said there was some update available when I first turned it on but I didn't pay close attention at the time to what that was. I think it said a firmware update.

Seems crazy that they can't roll out a software update that "requires" new hardware to vehicles that don't have that hardware. Surely the software could be designed to detect what hardware is available and adapt accordingly. Feels like car manufacturers are always not up to speed when it comes to software design (I develop apps for a living). That said it's a day and night improvement over the software that was in my 2018 Honda which was, at best, an embarrassment. Just this annoying glitch with the miles / km range that seems to resolve itself when it’s turned on. Very happy all things considered.
quenelles84

Post by quenelles84 »

Hello,
I've recently had my iD3 updated to 3.2 at my local dealership and just noticed that exactly the same issue in the app.
Just wondering if there has been any updates on a fix? Or anywhere where we should make VW aware of the issue?
Looking at this thread seems like it has been going on for an awfully long time.
Thanks!
rodbanner

Post by rodbanner »

The in-car digital interface isn’t great. Our ID3 has been ‘bricked’ during dealer software updates not once but twice. The vehicle was off the road for 6 weeks. This iOS app has replaced WeConnect - which worked pretty well. This one is stuffed with promotions for Data packages without explaining if a paid package is required to remotely control the onboard heating and charging. I still don’t know but I have bought a series of such packages and they don’t seem to connect with the vehicle despite following the manufacturer’s instructions to the letter. Regardless, one of the prime features of the app is to enable a remote user to know how much charge is in the car’s battery. Since the most recent update, this simply doesn’t work. The app reads out literally half the amount visible on the car’s dashboard. Come on Volkswagen. Take a look at Tesla’s UX and do better.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

rodbanner wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:03 am The in-car digital interface isn’t great. Our ID3 has been ‘bricked’ during dealer software updates not once but twice. The vehicle was off the road for 6 weeks. This iOS app has replaced WeConnect - which worked pretty well. This one is stuffed with promotions for Data packages without explaining if a paid package is required to remotely control the onboard heating and charging. I still don’t know but I have bought a series of such packages and they don’t seem to connect with the vehicle despite following the manufacturer’s instructions to the letter. Regardless, one of the prime features of the app is to enable a remote user to know how much charge is in the car’s battery. Since the most recent update, this simply doesn’t work. The app reads out literally half the amount visible on the car’s dashboard. Come on Volkswagen. Take a look at Tesla’s UX and do better.
The app did not change. It just changed name from WeconnectID to Volkswagen. Nothing else changed at the same time. If you actually had to change app, it means you were previously using the wrong (Weconnect) app.
The charge % in the battery is displayed correctly. It is only the range on miles that is (often) incorrect. It's a km/miles conversion bug.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

sidehaas wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:52 am
rodbanner wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:03 am The in-car digital interface isn’t great. Our ID3 has been ‘bricked’ during dealer software updates not once but twice. The vehicle was off the road for 6 weeks. This iOS app has replaced WeConnect - which worked pretty well. This one is stuffed with promotions for Data packages without explaining if a paid package is required to remotely control the onboard heating and charging. I still don’t know but I have bought a series of such packages and they don’t seem to connect with the vehicle despite following the manufacturer’s instructions to the letter. Regardless, one of the prime features of the app is to enable a remote user to know how much charge is in the car’s battery. Since the most recent update, this simply doesn’t work. The app reads out literally half the amount visible on the car’s dashboard. Come on Volkswagen. Take a look at Tesla’s UX and do better.
The app did not change. It just changed name from WeconnectID to Volkswagen. Nothing else changed at the same time. If you actually had to change app, it means you were previously using the wrong (Weconnect) app.
The charge % in the battery is displayed correctly. It is only the range on miles that is (often) incorrect. It's a km/miles conversion bug.
That km/miles bug has been around for so long now, I’m beginning to wonder if that part of the software was written by Fujitsu (Post Office debacle).
nfiner

Post by nfiner »

SO I am still getting this error and VW sent me the complicated 'fix' that hasn't worked, and eventually replied to claim 'We kindly inform you that according to our internal tools, the vehicle communicates and you should be able to have access to the services again". I get 80% charge equivalent to 88, 84, 85 miles randomly. Does anyone know if VW employed Fujitsu to write their software?

IMG_1050.PNG

the.kes

Post by the.kes »

nfiner wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:30 pm SO I am still getting this error and VW sent me the complicated 'fix' that hasn't worked, and eventually replied to claim 'We kindly inform you that according to our internal tools, the vehicle communicates and you should be able to have access to the services again". I get 80% charge equivalent to 88, 84, 85 miles randomly. Does anyone know if VW employed Fujitsu to write their software?
No Fujitsu turned the deal down, they said it was too much bother.
Family Pro-Performance, Manganese Grey, East Derry alloys.
Commission 314710**
Ordered 16/09/2021
Collected 19/10/2022
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

Somehow I don't think this issue is at the top of their list to resolve as it only affects a minority of the cars out there as its a "miles" issue, i.e. UK.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
vanb

Post by vanb »

I think that VW may have resolved this issue now-as of today. Just charged my car and the app mileage agrees with the car. After 2 hours, it still agrees. Keeping my fingers crossed.