Parking sensors not working

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
ZoeFarrow

Post by ZoeFarrow »

Over the last week my side and rear parking sensors have stopped working.

I've tried cleaning them all but had no luck.

Any suggestions welcome please or is it time to contact VW

Screenshot_20220927-101829_Gallery.jpg

zedmano

Post by zedmano »

Hit the power button centre console LONG HOLD to power off and reset system

1664363570272423417693700516670.jpg

16643633896173098109951898437522.jpg

niklaslofgren84

Post by niklaslofgren84 »

Dear Zoe

I just read your post about parking sensors not working. I'm facing a similar issue now. Did your problem get resolved? How many sensors were defective, and how did it get resolved for you? Please feel free to contact me at my email address: niklaslofgren84@gmail.com

Would really appreciate this.

Best regards, Niklas Lofgren
wiltshiredriver

Post by wiltshiredriver »

My front parking sensors started to show a message 'clean front parking sensors'. Took car to VW dealer and was told one sensor had stone chip damage, not covered by warranty, they wanted £450 to replace the sensor.
I found the genuine part on ebay for £40 and it took 5 minutes to switch it over, accessing the rear of the sensor through the grill.
A case of gross profiteering by Bath VW!
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

wiltshiredriver wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:30 am My front parking sensors started to show a message 'clean front parking sensors'. Took car to VW dealer and was told one sensor had stone chip damage, not covered by warranty, they wanted £450 to replace the sensor.
I found the genuine part on ebay for £40 and it took 5 minutes to switch it over, accessing the rear of the sensor through the grill.
A case of gross profiteering by Bath VW!
Interesting, where did you find the part for £40? I had the same issue but saw someone selling the part for £150 and our local VW dealer quoted £280. I couldn't see how to access it so I just had VW do it. However would love to know a cheaper way as I suspect it'll happen again at some point.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
JPH76

Post by JPH76 »

Yep me too, I think I've the part on eBay (VW ID3 pdc 5WA919275C (2020-2023)) £49.95 but when I looked at taking the old one off I couldn't figure how you got to the back of it through the grill. Any guidance on this would be gratefully received :)
JPH76

Post by JPH76 »

*Bump*
JPH76

Post by JPH76 »

Update on this. Replacing the two front inward sensors is easy-ish (not the outer ones - grill removal will be required for these?)

1. Bit awkward but put hand through grill and rotate so you can feel two small tabs top and bottom of the sensor unit.
2. Push top tab up with index finger and bottom tab down with thumb then push the sensor with your free hand through from the other side, it’ll slide back and out of the holder.
3. Undo the grey locking tab by lifting it straight up, and pull connector out.
4. Replace with new sensor, reattach the wiring connector and then it’s the reverse process to put it back into position.

Hope that helps anyone who has the same issue with the two front inner sensors only.
MattgID3

Post by MattgID3 »

I have same issue, took it to vw last week,they are ordering replacement under warranty as no damage it just stopped working.
Id3 family pro
Stonewash blue
Ordered 8/8/21
was Eta 17th jan 23
Delivery 14th DEC 2022
Build week 40 confirmed

Location South Gloucestershire
PeterHimself

Post by PeterHimself »

Got the same problem on the backside. Reset does not work.
Next week to dealer
Handydave

Post by Handydave »

This happened to ours this week - “please clean rear parking sensors” but multiple cleans hasn’t resolved the problem. No sign of damage to any of the sensors.
Have tried soft reset via the infotainment power button, but no joy.
Interestingly, it happened immediately after the big OTA update. Coincidence?
Booked into dealer in a few weeks.
ID.3 Family 58kWh Pro Performance 204PS | Makena Turquoise | East Derry Alloys
Delivered: May 2023
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

I have just taken my ID3 to the dealer to investigate a similar fault. It started with a ‘please clean’ the left and right parking sensors message (they were spotless and undamaged) followed by the progressive failure of the rear sensors, and finally the front sensors too. This meant that parking menu and manoeuvre braking were unavailable. My suspicion is that there is some kind of control unit issue as I think it unlikely that all the sensors would fail individually over a couple of weeks. The dealer has now had the car for 2 days and is ‘taking advice’ from VW.
Family Pro Performance Moonstone Grey
Ordered 26 Nov 2021
Listers Nuneaton
Order No: 31568xxx
Build week : Unconfirmed
Delivered: 23 Sept 22
White Zappi 7kW - Tethered
SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety »

Interestingly, it happened immediately after the big OTA update. Coincidence?
Same with me. The dealership tried to tell me that the sensor was stone-chipped (I couldn't see any damage at all, perhaps a tiny fleck of paint missing - are they really that fragile? Didn't think so....) so I asked them why it was working when the car was delivered to the dealership but 'failed' when I got in the car to drive home a few days later. After the usual arguing that my dealership likes to do (their motto: torment the customer, never surrender) they grudgingly agreed to fix under warranty (probably because I 'expressed an interest' in a id4, not that I'd ever buy one and certainly not from them)
id3 Max 2021