Advice on replacing rear fog lamp

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
PeterIOM

Post by PeterIOM »

The rear fog lamp (on the driver's side) has a cracked lens. I have bought a replacement unit on eBay, but there seems to be no easy way to replace it, because the fog lamp unit including wires and connector is enclosed within the rear bodywork. It looks as though I would have to take off the rear bumper/trim to access it. Has anyone had any experience of doing this? Does it just pull off or are there some hidden fixings which need to be undone first? Thanks.
ID.3 Pro 150kw 204hp, grey, first reg Dec 2020. Pod Point Solo home charger.

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Hi Peter, I found the instructions for how to replace the rear headlight via VW's "Erwin" website. If you log in and learn how to navigate it, you can then pay a fee for temporary access, which allows you to download the instructions. It's only €7-8 for one hour I think, and in that time I downloaded everything I could see for the ID3. Unfortunately I don't have the instructions to hand at the moment but if you can work that website out it'll probably be a lot cheaper than visiting a dealer!
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
PeterIOM

Post by PeterIOM »

Thanks, it's really useful to know about that Erwin website. As the fog lamp is still working and there's no urgency to replace it, I may wait until it's in the dealership for something else and ask them to do it at the same time, but if anyone knows an easy way to get the trim off, please let me know.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Looking at pictures of the unit on EBay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364435038449 ... media=COPY

It looks like it just clips in.
PeterIOM

Post by PeterIOM »

Thanks to Sidehaas for pointing me to the Erwin website. I bought an hour's time on there, downloaded the relevant instructions and did the repair, but it is still quite tricky even with those instructions, so in a spirit of public-spiritedness I thought I would post further information here.

The instructions tell you to first remove the rear wheel and then the rear wheel housing liner. I no longer have the equipment to remove a wheel (got left behind in a house move) but I found it was possible to gain just enough access by leaving the wheel in place and folding back the rear wheel housing liner which is quite flexible. If you are taking the rear wheel housing liner off altogether there are 10 bolts to remove, but if you are doing it this way you can get away with only removing the rear 5 bolts.

You will need a small wrench with a CRV T25 bit (medium size 6 pointed star).

Disconnect the electrical connector.

The instructions tell you to squeeze the retaining clips to release the old fog light, but I found this isn't really possible, so I just broke them off. Then if you push from the inside the old unit should slide out easily.

It's easy from then on because you just push the new unit in from the outside and the clips should automatically lock it in place. Make sure all three clips have engaged. Then reassemble.

Have a great day.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Nice one Peter, thanks for letting us know it's possible without removing the wheel!
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.