Other EVs?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Did anyone here seriously consider any other makes of EV before taking the plunge with the ID3?

CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

I test drove an i3. Decent car, just the range wasn't enough, far too expensive, too small and when you have a 4 year old those rear doors are rubbish and make it virtually impossible to get them out in a parking space.

I considered a Tesla Model 3, as I'm on a company car it wouldn't have been too much more but it was just a little too much for me

I test drove a Peugeot 208, very nice, not bad range. Just a little small inside.

The fact the ID3 came along with more range, larger and pretty much the same price made it a no-brainer.

If the Skoda Enyaq had been available in March I may have gone for it, as to be honest the spec level is perfect for me as I don't mind 50kw charging as I hardly do public.
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

Much as CarterHounslow said. Had been looking at the Vauxhall/Citreon offerings, but lower range and the Tesla was just too much for my budget.
Very pleased with my decision in the end.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

I drove the Kia ENiro , longer range, more re-gen options ,longer warranty but more to change, decided against it because it was a bit old fashioned, given the problems I've had not sure i made the right decision
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

yes,

Skoda Enyaq - didnt like the grill
Model 3 - nice car but no obvious advantages for our family for the extra £10000
an ID4, but decided that we liked look and interior of the ID3 better, and also decent battery range with the gov grant. The ID4 large battery is outside the gov grant cost. The ID4 is great, might be my next car as I am sure in 4 years there will be no gov grant ...
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
Jamh2000

Post by Jamh2000 »

Considered the e-208 but the better range and interior space of the ID3 made it a better long-term bet.
ID.3 Life Pro, Manganese Grey
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

My neighbour has an eNiro, I might have considered one given it’s strengths as an EV, but SUVs aren’t my thing.

I test drove an e208, I really didn’t like the feel of the drive or certain aspects of the interior - specifically the rows of buttons/selectors underneath the centre screen, and I couldn’t see all of the screen behind the steering wheel in my normal driving position (and I’m not a freaky shape and size).

I would have liked to drive a Model 3, but couldn’t justify the extra cost to myself compared to the ID.3.
sausageroll

Post by sausageroll »

I looked at various ones, summarised as:

- Zoe
Boot too small. Strange battery ownership options made market confusing on value. Too Renault-ish. Battery degradation seemed 'standard'.

- Leaf
Same battery degradation issues. Even the newer ones are particularly ugly.

- Soul EV
Boot too small. Think I recall some worrying things about the battery health, too. Still an ICE platform, so I still see it as a 1st generation EV.

- Ioniq
Seemed like a good choice, but I just don't like them. A neighbour has had one for a few years, and I can say that I've never looked at it with lust.

- MG ZS/MG 5
Maybe a decent cheap ICE car, but not cheap enough as an EV to justify what I see as a chinese Dacia.

- BMW i3
Liked the interior look, but serious questions over build quality, boot space, and silly doors.

- Mazda MX-30
Liked it inside and out, but the rear seats were awful - looked like the doors were a pig to open, and visibility/space was pathetic in the rear, too.

- e-208
Loved the inside, not so much the outside. Very cramped overall. Might have been good if it was a ground-up EV

- Ioniq 5, Tesla etc
Too expensive

The ID.3 was the only one that I really desired. Aesthetically well done, nice interior, good price, decent range, overall it seemed like one of the few that was really a '2020+' EV.
Last edited by sausageroll on Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

^^ yup, pretty much what I thought!
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

I hadn’t done as extensive research as some above, but the EVs I lusted after (Tesla/Ioniq5) seemed too expensive/too big, the ones that were neither of those had other drawbacks of being uncool/dated (to me anyway), too small (e.g. e-208) or not quite the recharge/range (most others). In the end the ID3 was on a shortlist by itself and a test drive kept it there. The rate at which the EV market is moving, I guess it will be subject to new models taking the shine off, hope that doesn’t happen too quickly.
SOLD: Cupra Born V3 eBoost / Silver / Beats / Panoramic / Tech L / Cargo
Previous: ID.3 Max / 2.4 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

funny thing is that I am not attracted to the ioniq at all
i liked the tesla 3 but apart from the acceleration, I felt the ID3 was better in almost every respect for £10k less. including I think the ID3 looks cooler
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674