First test drive

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Yesterday. I had only gone about 1/2 mile and I just thought wow! My only real issue was with the brakes. They seemed as if they didn't want to stop the car. I didn't push my luck though. (£1000 excess on test drives). Now have to think hard if I can live with just an electric car. Range anxiety, charging points, etc. I think there are still issues with all this though. For example. We have relations we visit (only occasionally) which would mean a charge would be required to get home again. They live in the middle of nowhere, so only real option is to ask them if I can charge at their house. Not sure they would be too impressed, plus how much mileage would a 3-pin overnight charge give me?

sausageroll

Post by sausageroll »

That's a weird relationship with the relations, if they were odd about the charge. It's not like you'd be adding huge amounts to their bill (can always, otherwise, compensate them for it?).

If they live miles away, in the sticks, are they not appreciative of the visit?
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

It’s not the relationship that’s weird - they are. Can’t choose our relations can we! They would complain about the cable having to pass through an open window.
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

I can't comment on your relatives, but I've had a couple of emergency braking situations and it's fine.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Raxacorico wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:42 am I can't comment on your relatives, but I've had a couple of emergency braking situations and it's fine.
The brakes do seem hesitant with a long travel on the pedal when you're braking lightly and it's regenning rather than using the actual brakes. When you jump on the brakes and go beyond the regen zone to be using the discs and drums, they are fine.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

How far away from home are the relatives?

You get used to the feel of the braking.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Having read a lot about crappy brake pedals in EV’s due to the sw choosing between regen and actual brakes - I was very pleasantly surprised with the brakes on the id3.
I adjusted in a day or two.

One thing I’m still not used to (34 years of manuals!) is low speed manoeuvring - esp bumping over a kerb etc.. to park.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

MotMot wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:15 pm
One thing I’m still not used to (34 years of manuals!) is low speed manoeuvring - esp bumping over a kerb etc.. to park.
Bumping over a kerb to park? :shock:

That's the big car division, those that can park usually buy hatchbacks, saloons and estates, those that can't usually buy SUVs.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

😂 you have to bump up a kerb to park here. Roads are not wide enough… (for the parking)
Jamh2000

Post by Jamh2000 »

The brakes take a bit of getting used to- as I understand it they are software-controlled to some extent, so the response isn’t uniform and takes into account what is in front of you. Also, the car is deceptively heavy, so breaking distances are longer than you might think. Overall not a problem for me though.
ID.3 Life Pro, Manganese Grey
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

scott28tt wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:33 pm How far away from home are the relatives?

They are about 120 miles.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I am getting cold feet now. I’ve been thinking about winter driving and the reduction in distance from an 80% charge. I have read (here and elsewhere) that 160 ish is fairly common.
Also, I haven’t driven a rear wheel drive for many years and have got used to front wheel drive, which seem more secure in winter weather.
Not sure what to do now. Would like to change my car (need one where we live in Yorkshire) but I want to do the right thing regarding the environment (I do have a bike!), without resorting to Tesla - too big.
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

How far is it to your relations out of interest from your place, and roughly where in the world are they? We can help you with this info.

You were probably driving in D mode. Put it in B mode and some of the braking comes from the regen, in D mode it still surprises me how far the travel is. In B mode the brake pedal travel is still long but not so bad.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

CarterHounslow wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:47 am How far is it to your relations out of interest from your place, and roughly where in the world are they? We can help you with this info.

You were probably driving in D mode. Put it in B mode and some of the braking comes from the regen, in D mode it still surprises me how far the travel is. In B mode the brake pedal travel is still long but not so bad.
WE haven't bought an ID3 yet.
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

Any new car takes a little getting used to, i had a Tiguan before and the brakes on that were good but i find driving in B mode i hardly use the pedal except for the final stop and emergencies and in the latter case who cares about pedal travel. As an aside my wife has an i10 and the brakes are that grabby i almost put us through the screen every time i drive it
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

Scratch wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:50 am
CarterHounslow wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:47 am How far is it to your relations out of interest from your place, and roughly where in the world are they? We can help you with this info.

I know that, you said you test drove one.

I asked where are your relatives in the world, closest town and where do you travel from?

How often do you do that journey a year?

What's your daily journey lengths like?

I've covered a lot of miles now in an ID3 and charged outside the home etc.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

In the height of winter range will drop. Be more frugal with cabin temperature or charge more frequently, or better still, a combination of both.
It is much easier when you get into it. Over thinking the range aspect is a common theme for new or potential owners. You have to approach refuelling differently. If you are near to electricity plug it in like you would a phone.
Short runs in an ICE in the height of winter also hits range. As for drive characteristics, they vary car to car so you have to adjust but traction control and SW in the drive train minimises the differences.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

CarterHounslow wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:10 am
Scratch wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:50 am

I know that, you said you test drove one.

I asked where are your relatives in the world, closest town and where do you travel from?

How often do you do that journey a year?

What's your daily journey lengths like?

I've covered a lot of miles now in an ID3 and charged outside the home etc.
This is the crux of my conundrum. The visit to these relations is only maybe 3 times a year. It's about 120 miles. My daily/weekly journeys are easily achievable with the ID3, so charging at home would be the ideal. I spoke to our electrician yesterday and he says he is having trouble sourcing chargers. Another area suffering the microchip shortage.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Scratch wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:48 am
scott28tt wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:33 pm How far away from home are the relatives?

They are about 120 miles.

My sister and mum both live about 110 miles from where I am, I went up there in April - it was only about 12 degrees that day so the car would have been at about the level of efficiency it should achieve for probably 6 months of the year, 80% of the journey was motorway with the ACC set at 70mph, I didn’t do anything special in terms of heating, just got in the car and drove it.

I set off at 100%, arrived there at 48%, made a 15-minute charge stop half-way home.

That’s with a 58kWh battery pack.
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

If you have a home charger it's much easier then an ice. No slipping out to garages late at night.

We "fill up" less then our old bmw 2. That because all of our driving is in town.

On long distance you just arrange a stop. We are going to Chester from London in a few weeks, around 4 hours, just plan to stop at rugby service station to fill up whilst we get a snack, coffee and toilet. The hotel has a charger but there seem to be loads round in Chester so not worried.

If I was going to the Highlands probably would take a 3 pin charger

I find the brakes are great. The pedal throw is longer on the ID3 for the accelerator and the brake then my previous car. Didn't plan to use B instead of D but now using it exclusively

I had similar concerns to you. So glad I made the switch to the ID3 now
Last edited by colonelpurple on Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674