Wall charger install costs?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
User avatar
Daveion
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:24 am

Post by Daveion » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:23 am

I had been waiting for Bulb's solution having taken part in cutomer research. I switched to Octopus as Bulb are taking forever.
Im about to place my order for a Wallbox Pulse Plus installed for £575. Its tethered 5m and does not need an earth rod or separate PEN fault detection device...say Octopus? Its also totally compatible with Octopus Go in my area at 5p/kw at the limited overnight window. I thought this reasonable for a tethered unit with installation that is a mixture of twin and earth inside and buried armoured cable outside. Total run around 15 metres.
Any knowledge out there on the Wallbox unit before I place the order?
Life Pro Performance : Moonstone Grey : 19" Andoya Wheels.

MattP
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:47 pm

Post by MattP » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:26 am

How long would you need for this process. If you were expecting your car in January would I be fine to leave it until around November time?

monkeyhanger
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:33 pm

Post by monkeyhanger » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:31 am

mish wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:55 am
One consideration should be the connectivity you require. If you don't have any wifi near the installation point then it might be worth looking into chargers that allow you to use the smart functions via bluetooth. I ended up getting the Wallbox Pulsar Plus for that reason (ask for a discount using the web chat, worked for me). I still had to use a router and long ethernet cable to run the firmware update (wifi only) inside the garage, but hopefully that's something I only need to do every blue moon. Just need a car now.
The Ohme has it's own SIM to connect, no WiFi worries.

Scratch
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:22 pm

Post by Scratch » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:34 am

monkeyhanger wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:31 am
mish wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:55 am
One consideration should be the connectivity you require. If you don't have any wifi near the installation point then it might be worth looking into chargers that allow you to use the smart functions via bluetooth. I ended up getting the Wallbox Pulsar Plus for that reason (ask for a discount using the web chat, worked for me). I still had to use a router and long ethernet cable to run the firmware update (wifi only) inside the garage, but hopefully that's something I only need to do every blue moon. Just need a car now.
The Ohme has it's own SIM to connect, no WiFi worries.
Does that require a seperate mobile phone contract?

colonelpurple
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:57 pm

Post by colonelpurple » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:36 am

monkeyhanger wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:31 am
mish wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:55 am
One consideration should be the connectivity you require. If you don't have any wifi near the installation point then it might be worth looking into chargers that allow you to use the smart functions via bluetooth. I ended up getting the Wallbox Pulsar Plus for that reason (ask for a discount using the web chat, worked for me). I still had to use a router and long ethernet cable to run the firmware update (wifi only) inside the garage, but hopefully that's something I only need to do every blue moon. Just need a car now.
The Ohme has it's own SIM to connect, no WiFi worries.
The Ohme SIM is included in the price for a number of years, I think it is 2 or 3 but not sure.

Note that the Zappi has communication with something called the Hub and the Harvi which are connected at the electricity point. They communicate with the Zappi over a custom radio signal, not Wifi, and the quoted range is 30m, so superior to most wifi.

This was one of the reasons I chose the Zappi, as my garage is the other side of my garden from the house

rgds
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674

User avatar
Daveion
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:24 am

Post by Daveion » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:42 am

MattP wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:26 am
How long would you need for this process. If you were expecting your car in January would I be fine to leave it until around November time?
I was advised 4-6 weeks from payment in my area.
Essex RM15.
Life Pro Performance : Moonstone Grey : 19" Andoya Wheels.

mish
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:51 pm

Post by mish » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:05 pm

Scratch wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:03 am
mish wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:55 am
One consideration should be the connectivity you require. If you don't have any wifi near the installation point then it might be worth looking into chargers that allow you to use the smart functions via bluetooth. I ended up getting the Wallbox Pulsar Plus for that reason (ask for a discount using the web chat, worked for me). I still had to use a router and long ethernet cable to run the firmware update (wifi only) inside the garage, but hopefully that's something I only need to do every blue moon. Just need a car now.
Have you actually had this charger installed? To get the government allowance for the charger install, I thought you had to actually have an EV car or at least an order number for one?
Yes, got the order number. Will be a while before I can try out the charger with the actual car.

monkeyhanger
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:33 pm

Post by monkeyhanger » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:33 pm

Scratch wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:34 am
monkeyhanger wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:31 am
mish wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:55 am
One consideration should be the connectivity you require. If you don't have any wifi near the installation point then it might be worth looking into chargers that allow you to use the smart functions via bluetooth. I ended up getting the Wallbox Pulsar Plus for that reason (ask for a discount using the web chat, worked for me). I still had to use a router and long ethernet cable to run the firmware update (wifi only) inside the garage, but hopefully that's something I only need to do every blue moon. Just need a car now.
The Ohme has it's own SIM to connect, no WiFi worries.
Does that require a seperate mobile phone contract?
Not currently, and no plans to do so after 3 years. I think there'd be hell on if they did and they'd lose a lot of future sales. 3 guaranteed years, but most likely for the long foreseeable beyond that.

G43FAN
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:27 am

Post by G43FAN » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:00 pm

colonelpurple wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:36 am
monkeyhanger wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:31 am
mish wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:55 am
One consideration should be the connectivity you require. If you don't have any wifi near the installation point then it might be worth looking into chargers that allow you to use the smart functions via bluetooth. I ended up getting the Wallbox Pulsar Plus for that reason (ask for a discount using the web chat, worked for me). I still had to use a router and long ethernet cable to run the firmware update (wifi only) inside the garage, but hopefully that's something I only need to do every blue moon. Just need a car now.
The Ohme has it's own SIM to connect, no WiFi worries.
The Ohme SIM is included in the price for a number of years, I think it is 2 or 3 but not sure.

Note that the Zappi has communication with something called the Hub and the Harvi which are connected at the electricity point. They communicate with the Zappi over a custom radio signal, not Wifi, and the quoted range is 30m, so superior to most wifi.

This was one of the reasons I chose the Zappi, as my garage is the other side of my garden from the house

rgds
The Harvi is only required if you can't run a CT clamp cable (ethernet) back directly to the Zappi. If your Zappi and meter are conveniently close the Harvi isn't necessarily required, although it's a neat little solution. I didn't have one initially but once my PV install was done we connected a Harvi to view the PV production as the optimiser is in the garage at the opposite end of the house.
Family Pro: East Derry Wheels: Moonstone Grey - Software 2.1
Zappi Charger with Solar Edge 6kW PV array.
Android Connect ID App

Pepet2
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:39 pm

Post by Pepet2 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:38 pm

Daveion, I had a Wallbox Pulsar Plus installed 6 weeks ago and very pleased with it. There was a hitch though. It has bluetooth and wifi connectivity but you need to be connected via bluetooth first before being able to set up the wifi connectivity. Unfortunately I could not get the charger to talk to my phone via bluetooth at the outset, so I rang Wallbox ( patched through to Barcelona) and they were excellent. Had the charger working in no time. Basically I had to do a reset on the box after running through a checklist with them. I see you're located in Essex, if you fancy a trip out to CM3 area then you're welcome to drop by and I can show you the unit and app working. Regards Pete

Post Reply