ID3 Software Update v2.3

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

I am hoping to be proved wrong, but having to apply two separate updates totalling several hours just for a few tweaks to the infotainment system and a bit more use made of the ID light sounds pretty underwhelming to me. Or am I missing something?

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Sherlock wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:26 pm I am hoping to be proved wrong, but having to apply two separate updates totalling several hours just for a few tweaks to the infotainment system and a bit more use made of the ID light sounds pretty underwhelming to me. Or am I missing something?

That’s all the release notes mention.

There may be some bug fixes, performance is definitely better - startup time plus general responsiveness.
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

Sherlock wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:26 pm I am hoping to be proved wrong, but having to apply two separate updates totalling several hours just for a few tweaks to the infotainment system and a bit more use made of the ID light sounds pretty underwhelming to me. Or am I missing something?
Yes you are missing a lot
This release is actually about performance, fixes and infrastructure enhancements
And most importantly, it shows the correct alloys you bought on the picture ;)
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

Thanks for the replies. I have seen others mention improved performance of the infotainment system and that will be welcome if correct.
Does anyone have any info. on what the 'infrastructure enhancements' are?
Or the bugs that are fixed? Have they changed the on/off button for climate control to be consistent with the rest of the system for example?
( I haven't had the 2.3 update but the 'Internet radio unavailable' message seems to have stopped appearing every day by the way - pleased about that!)
I have some experience in software development and updates that take several hours to apply typically are only required for major changes which 2.3 doesn't really seem to entail. I'll be honest it does make me worry a little about the quality of the underlying software design and efficiency.
Deleted User 192

Sherlock wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:36 am Have they changed the on/off button for climate control to be consistent with the rest of the system for example?

It's very clear now to me whether the climate is on or off - when you turn it off the button turns white (unlike anything else on the screen at the the time, so it stands out) and the temperatures at the bottom say OFF (in a larger and bolder text than I remember)

There is no log of bug fixes that I'm aware of, I've read that the location-based charging is unchanged but I don't use it anyway.
Loefr1cs

Post by Loefr1cs »

I too am looking to hear from any non first movers who receive the update message.
Martynturnbull

Post by Martynturnbull »

Has anyone had the 2.3 update in the UK yet and does it work ok. Still waiting for mine.
Deleted User 192

Martynturnbull wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:09 pm Has anyone had the 2.3 update in the UK yet and does it work ok. Still waiting for mine.

Yes I have, and yes it does.

It’s only been pushed to those who volunteered to receive it early, still not generally available.

Startup and responsiveness are improved, you can toggle easily between the 2 pages of widgets and the 2 pages of icons, some of the pages/screens have been updated, and the ID. Light does a few new things.
Butlerjamesp

Post by Butlerjamesp »

I am curious, I only got my ID3 a couple of months ago and I have had the car say there is an update a couple of times but I have been unable to download it due to strangely needing to use the car when it comes up and says to leave the car until it is complete so I have had to ignore it. Is there a way of doing the update manually without waiting for it to pop up on the screen?
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Did you check System Information and Updates to see if it's lurking there?
RollingJ

Post by RollingJ »

Beginning to think this ain't never going to happen! :-(
Deleted User 314

I’m waiting for 2.4 not 2.3 😀😀😀

I figured I’ve missed the 2.3 slow boat.
bowsh123

Post by bowsh123 »

Nothing here either... I hope all updates wont be this slow to roll out, imagine waiting months for your phone or laptop to update!
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

I do sometimes wonder how VW can be so awful at software. Can't they just pay Apple or some other company to design the software for them? Perhaps then they could do software updates with some certainty that they will work and they would also be able to upgrade people at roughly the same time rather than having this length of time to get people's cars updated.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
Deleted User 314

Well, as much as i'd like to pile on, I'm certain they'd release if it's ready. They did the right thing rolling out to a limited group to perform testing, they've clearly found issues, either delivery or in the update so taking their time.

What I think is bad is their lack of communication, it would earn them a lot of credit if they said "after the limited roll out we identified a few issues requiring further testing, next roll out attempt mid September" etc.

We're all impatient for new goodies they could use that to generate interaction and community instead of irritation and anger :)
Deleted User 192

gailjon wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:14 pm I do sometimes wonder how VW can be so awful at software. Can't they just pay Apple or some other company to design the software for them? Perhaps then they could do software updates with some certainty that they will work and they would also be able to upgrade people at roughly the same time rather than having this length of time to get people's cars updated.

They had originally outsourced it, but brought it in-house to help stabilise and speed up the processes - it will take time for that to bear fruit, they've said they will deliver an update every quarter going forward so they need to get 2.3 OTA rolling...
simonmaskell

Post by simonmaskell »

VW website has now been updated with instructions for 2.3 update. So assume can’t be long now till rollout
Deleted User 192

simonmaskell wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:02 pm VW website has now been updated with instructions for 2.3 update. So assume can’t be long now till rollout

Here’s the direct link: https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/owners- ... e-2-3.html
BEN44R

Post by BEN44R »

Any one had the email from VW (general release of 2.3 software) yet in UK? German members on meinid.com forum are posting “ received email for consent for update” hopefully things will start moving here as well.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance, Moonstone Grey, Wheels 18" East Derry
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Nope…. Expect I’m way down the pecking order!!