Yet another mundane question.......

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

"Back in the day" ;) when I had an ICE car, I would put the car in the garage overnight. Unless it was wet. Now with the ID3 what do others do when their electric car is wet? In my infinite wisdom I had my Zappi charger fitted inside the garage. I have probably got a serious case of OCD!

Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Whenever mine arrives it's going to be on the driveway, plugged into the charger, come rain, snow, shine or hail.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Utumno wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:43 pm Whenever mine arrives it's going to be on the driveway, plugged into the charger, come rain, snow, shine or hail.
Probably a very wise decision.
sykick

Post by sykick »

Same, leave it plugged in outside.....
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

sykick wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:48 pm Same, leave it plugged in outside.....
As my charger is in the garage and the charger cable won't go under the garage door, I need to channel some concrete from beneath that door. I haven't got round to it yet, as I haven't got the right chisels.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Cat flap in the garage door?
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

MotMot wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:56 pm Cat flap in the garage door?
Good idea, but it's a metal door.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

If the question is about putting cars in the garage when they are still wet, I have another car sat in my garage so don't have that decision to make if I did I wouldn't put it away wet though.

With regards to charging, like the others I just plug it in whatever the weather.. not had snow to contend with yet.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

G43FAN wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:00 pm If the question is about putting cars in the garage when they are still wet, I have another car sat in my garage so don't have that decision to make if I did I wouldn't put it away wet though.

With regards to charging, like the others I just plug it in whatever the weather.. not had snow to contend with yet.
I suppose the main question was about putting wet cars in garages.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Scratch wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:58 pm
MotMot wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:56 pm Cat flap in the garage door?
Good idea, but it's a metal door.
So? Easier than wood in many ways!!
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

I don’t understand. What’s the concern about leaving a wet car in a garage?

Is it so your garage floor doesn’t get wet?
16 Sep: ID3 Max in Moonstone Grey. BW 40 confirmed. ETA early Dec.
...lots of bad info and delays...
27 April: at port. ETA end of May.
Delivery ETA: 18 May!
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

There are too many other forms of transport in the garage for the car to fit, my charger is on the outside wall and the car is on the drive, all year round.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

rikimaru wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:10 pm I don’t understand. What’s the concern about leaving a wet car in a garage?

I suppose some of us of a certain age, remember how the bodywork of cars used to rot even if there was a hint of dampness. As I said at the outset, it might be my OCD.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Scratch wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:01 am
rikimaru wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:10 pm I don’t understand. What’s the concern about leaving a wet car in a garage?

I suppose some of us of a certain age, remember how the bodywork of cars used to rot even if there was a hint of dampness. As I said at the outset, it might be my OCD.
Car bodywork has come a long way since 1980s Fiat and Renault rot boxes. Galvanised bodywork and other advances in functional primers takes care of that (I have seen a fair few rusty 10 year old Hyundais recently though).
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

Scratch wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:40 pm "Back in the day" ;) when I had an ICE car, I would put the car in the garage overnight. Unless it was wet. Now with the ID3 what do others do when their electric car is wet? In my infinite wisdom I had my Zappi charger fitted inside the garage. I have probably got a serious case of OCD!
Mine is out on my driveway as my garage is full of stuff. So is my zappi. Charging through days of torrential rain over the last few weeks. All good

The charging socket area does retain some water splashes, but they dry out the next day even with the cap closed

BTW I have never put a car in the garage and never had any rust, even on my first car, a second hand opel berliner in 1989 😀
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
Navigator

Post by Navigator »

Scratch wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:40 pm "Back in the day" ;) when I had an ICE car, I would put the car in the garage overnight. Unless it was wet. Now with the ID3 what do others do when their electric car is wet? In my infinite wisdom I had my Zappi charger fitted inside the garage. I have probably got a serious case of OCD!
My charger is in the garage and although I've often left the car out if it's raining hard, I now put it in the garage to park and/or to charge it. The garage floor dries quite quickly and I put the car on the drive in the morning whether I use it or not. Then it dries quite quickly. And if it's not raining it needs cleaning less frequently. But if folk have no space because of bikes or mowers etc the solution is much more obvious!

Of course the real benefit of garage storage isn't in the rain - it's in frosty or snowy conditions.
duckworthsj

Post by duckworthsj »

Mine goes always inside the garage….
However when the car is wet, I always dry the area around the charger socket before plugging in.
I have noticed that water seems to collect around the charge socket on the car even though there is a seal. Also I am not sure how good the seal between charger plug and socket are going to be outside in the wind and rain, particularly as it ages.
Guess I a bit nervous about 7KVA and water !
Hers: ID3 204ch Pro Performance Denim Blue Black Roof. East Derry alloys, Pack Comfort Plus, Pack Assistance Plus.
His: Mini Cooper S-Electric 184ch ‘Yours’ (UK Level 3) Chili Red, Black Pack, Heat Reflective Windows… And lots of fun
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

We have done 30k miles and car lives on drive and has charged in all weathers, rain, snow, ice, howling fakes and we have had no issues or problems !

Amazing machine, we love it !!
1st Edition Makena Turquoise Metallic
2.4 update complete
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I believe the standard for type two sockets has a wee drain hole at the bottom.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

MotMot wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:44 am I believe the standard for type two sockets has a wee drain hole at the bottom.
Peeing into your type 2 socket is just asking for trouble. :lol:
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565