10 Months Ownership

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

10 months on and here are some of the things I like and Dislike about my iD3
. I've really enjoyed driving the car it's comfortable , fast and really easy to drive probably the best I've had and so far I've had upwards of 35 cars
I've not had many problems with the software just a few at the beginning telling me the motor was about to blow up which the dealer fixed
there's been the odd blank screen which fixed itself and the app dropped out a couple of times which I managed to fix
The Matrix headlights are brilliant better than the ones I had in my Tiguan
Now the bad things . Most of it relates to the front seat area of the car because there are only 2 of us
The glove box is a joke because VW penny pinched and couldn't be bothered to move the fuse box to the RHS
The slider controls under the main screen are unlit at night , terrible idea and a safety issue
Haptic touch sensitive controls are the worst thing ever and that goes for all of them
The light switches are in the worst place ever, Lhd cars are to the left of the steering wheel , iD4 are to the right so why are the iD3 where they are
I want to decide myself when to switch the lights on and not have them come on every time I go under a bridge or past a row of tall trees
3 switches to work the windows ,another daft idea just to save money
The heating on off switch is totally opposite to all other on off switches
The wiper stalk operates in the exact opposite way to every other VW car and probably every other manufacturer
The nearside dipping mirror has to be set every time you get in the car , surely this can't be an NCAP issue
Having said all that I've enjoyed driving it but unless some of these things change will seriously have to consider the options when the time comes to change it
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

A different perspective on your negatives, based on my own 11 months:

I'm not fussed about the glove box, mine has a pair of gloves and the vehicle wallet in it, everything else I need is in the centre console.

The central volume control is only used by passenger, I use the ones on the wheel. My muscle memory can find the temperature sliders, or I just press the lit CLIMA button.

I've touched the light switches maybe twice, they wouldn't work on the other side of the wheel with the space available on the ID.3 interior.

My rear passengers can control their own windows, I don't need to control them at all.

I only turn the AC off if I'm incredibly tight on % to get to a charger.

I've never dipped the passenger side mirror, not once.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Each to their own I guess...

I think the haptics on the steering wheel are great! Unlit buttons/slider has never been a problem for me. The volume slider is superb - best idea ever. Just a quick swipe and its muted....

I too have never needed to dip the side mirror (despite living in a road where every day is a parking 'experience').

But... I do wish the glovebox were bigger (though its no biggy).

I find the only two buttons for the window switches a pain. I find it quite easy to brush the 'selector' button when scrabbling around for them and then open the back windows instead. Its nice to be able to close all four at once - but that requires a 2 second or something press of the button. It would be quicker to lift 4 buttons to close all four. But thats a minor gripe...

Being tall - I have brushed the interior lights a few times and they've switched on. Has anyone else noticed that they are touch controlled? which is actually pretty cool - but does mean the can be accidentally switched on... perhaps its me - perhaps I have a co-ordination problem :D
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

The light switches work on the lhd id3 which is a mirror image , all the others are my own personal observations and I didn't expect everyone to agree with me such is life
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I pretty much agree with Scott..
The glovebox on the Tiguan wasn't much better.. I think mine was supposed to be cooled, but you couldn't get a drink (bottle or can) in it without emptying it first.
I've been driving golf variant cars for the last 10 years and the number of times I have reached down and casually dropped the rear window to access a car park machine or talk to someone ... hence I like the lack of rear window buttons.
I can't recall not just having the lights on Auto since about 2006..
The reversing mirror thing. sheesh but I am used to it now.

But all in all, I think if these are the only concerns coming up now, we should all be pretty happy that the rest of the car does it's job?
Deleted User 192

Bromsgroveuser wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:38 pm The light switches work on the lhd id3 which is a mirror image , all the others are my own personal observations and I didn't expect everyone to agree with me such is life

They would be behind the drive selector if they were to the other side of the wheel, unless you'd switch that over to the left side of the steering wheel display. I still don't think it would make them any more accessible.
epicwinningmaz

Post by epicwinningmaz »

I've heard a lot of people mention the 'REAR' window selector. Is it really an issue day to day? I have definitely accidentally opened the rear windows more times than I've actually needed to and I think (as well as being cheaper) it solves that problem.

Glovebox sucks but I've come from PSA cars which are the same lol. I can't believe the temp + vol sliders aren't lit. Are there any aftermarket solutions?
ID.3 Max Pro Performance Makena Turquoise

Week 34 - Stage 1 Order Complete
Week 35 - Stage 2 With the Factory
Week 38 - Stage 3 Build Week Scheduled for Wk22/2022
??? - Stage 4 Build Week Confirmed
??? - Stage 5 In Transit
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

9 months in, almost to the day. 17K on the "clock".

Positives:
The Drive/accelaration/handling
Voice controls, either Siri or Hello ID - once you get to grips, it's good. For me at least
I very much like the safety features others complain about. All are easy to override, but I get the irritation
Cost to run - I was joking with my wife, we've actually spent more on cleaning/waxing the car than we have on charging - let that sink in for a minute after 17k
HUD/AR - I'd never have a car without this again
Matrix headlights - these are SWEET. Our ICE was a Velar and that was pretty good, but these are amazing
Sound system (we have plenty speakers)
iD light (but see other)
Having only 2 buttons for windows, I actually like that, same reason as G43

Other comments:
Sat Nav is rubbish, but always will be, so I use Apple maps, I want the iD light and AR to work with it
Random incorrect speed detection is annoying but easy to override
That centre console light thing - annoyed me for a week, never needed it lit since
Haptics - I don't like them much
I need the reversing mirror in 2 places - parents in law, their houses, I can cope with turning the switch twice a month but it grates
Lack of ventilation in the back - didn't consider this when we bought it

Oh,. and I did this last week, from one of the other boards

foot.jpg

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I think the hazard warning switch should actually be a mechanical switch. I have lost count of how many times I have brushed it by mistake when trying to find other switches. Only had the car a fortnight, so I may get used to it.
Abadgermac

Post by Abadgermac »

Scratch wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:31 am I think the hazard warning switch should actually be a mechanical switch. I have lost count of how many times I have brushed it by mistake when trying to find other switches. Only had the car a fortnight, so I may get used to it.
I had had it a year and still mistakenly activate it!
ID.3 1st Edition, Manganese Grey Metallic. 2.1 Software update 7 April 2021. 2.3 OTA Software update 2 August 2021. Dealer installed 2.4 update & battery 29 July 2022. 3.0 OTA update 21 December 2022. 3.2 Dealer installed October 2023.
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

Scratch wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:31 am I think the hazard warning switch should actually be a mechanical switch. I have lost count of how many times I have brushed it by mistake when trying to find other switches. Only had the car a fortnight, so I may get used to it.
Whoever suggested touch enabled hazard lights should have been slapped in the face and kicked out of the building.
16 Sep: ID3 Max in Moonstone Grey. BW 40 confirmed. ETA early Dec.
...lots of bad info and delays...
27 April: at port. ETA end of May.
Delivery ETA: 18 May!
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Abadgermac wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:11 pm
I had had it a year and still mistakenly activate it!
I terms of driving, it is an important switch. It warns others there may be a problem, either with your car or up ahead of you. You activate it too many times in a line of traffic and it will p**s off many behind you. Again, I think it should be a mechanical button.
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

10 months on and here are some of the things I like and Dislike about my iD3
. I've really enjoyed driving the car it's comfortable , fast and really easy to drive probably the best I've had and so far I've had upwards of 35 cars
agree
I've not had many problems with the software just a few at the beginning telling me the motor was about to blow up which the dealer fixed
there's been the odd blank screen which fixed itself and the app dropped out a couple of times which I managed to fix
Now the bad things . Most of it relates to the front seat area of the car because there are only 2 of us
The glove box is a joke because VW penny pinched and couldn't be bothered to move the fuse box to the RHS
I dont use this except for glasses and keys
The slider controls under the main screen are unlit at night , terrible idea and a safety issue
This is definitely a design miss. Which is odd, since the otherwise the night lighting in the ID3 is brilliant
Haptic touch sensitive controls are the worst thing ever and that goes for all of them
I think they are great. Much better then real buttons. + they cant break. This might be a generational thing ;)
The light switches are in the worst place ever, Lhd cars are to the left of the steering wheel , iD4 are to the right so why are the iD3 where they are
ok then. I have never touched them, and wont until i need fog lights.
I want to decide myself when to switch the lights on and not have them come on every time I go under a bridge or past a row of tall trees
not sure I understand this. dont you just set the temperature. the seat heating has easy reach virtual buttons.
The wiper stalk operates in the exact opposite way to every other VW car and probably every other manufacturer
same as my BMW
The nearside dipping mirror has to be set every time you get in the car , surely this can't be an NCAP issue
not sure why this is an issue, what do you use it for ?
Having said all that I've enjoyed driving it but unless some of these things change will seriously have to consider the options when the time comes to change it

In summary. There are issues, as with every car, but for me, the ID3 has far less then average, and far more plus points
touch controls are a taste thing. me and my wife love them, and also how the menu is laid out
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
Deleted User 192

colonelpurple wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:32 am how the menu is laid out

You know you can customise that?

It's the same as on a phone, hold your finger on an icon for a second then move it.

The shortcut menu (drag down from the top) is also customisable, as are the widgets (swipe screen to the right if on 2.1 software).
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

colonelpurple wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:32 am 10 months on and here are some of the things I like and Dislike about my iD3
agree
I dont use this except for glasses and keys
This is definitely a design miss. Which is odd, since the otherwise the night lighting in the ID3 is brilliant
I think they are great. Much better then real buttons. + they cant break. This might be a generational thing ;)
ok then. I have never touched them, and wont until i need fog lights.
not sure I understand this. dont you just set the temperature. the seat heating has easy reach virtual buttons.
same as my BMW
not sure why this is an issue, what do you use it for ?

In summary. There are issues, as with every car, but for me, the ID3 has far less then average, and far more plus points
touch controls are a taste thing. me and my wife love them, and also how the menu is laid out
The heater switch is blue when off and grey when on, i don't have my heater/air con on in the summer as it dries my throat , which is opposite to other functions , i prefer to decide myself when to put the lights on , the dipping near side mirror is useful when reversing next to kerbs as i find the camera distorts the they