Condensation and water droplets inside headlight

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
roybosh

Post by roybosh »

Yesterday I noticed the nearside (Matrix) headlight was very misted up, the offside one was fine. I drove with lights on to a friends house 22 miles away and the condensation was just as bad when I checked it upon arrival. I know these headlights don't emit much in the way of heat.
I had parked up at my friends house facing his garage door. The NS light was certainly dimmer and the beam pattern was a little less defined.

I contacted VW UK to see how I should go about getting it replaced under warranty, they sent a message to my dealer who contacted me this morning to arrange an inspection on the 22nd January 2024. I thought that was a pretty fast response.
I'll keep an eye on how the condensation looks until the inspection comes around.
Family Pro Performance
Moonstone Grey, 18" Derry Alloys, Transport Hitch, Heat Pump
Ordered 31 October 2021
Build Date, December 2022, week 50
picked up 12/01/23 with software 3.2

mulacs

Post by mulacs »

Hello, merry Xmas everyone.
New owner of an ID3 here, 1yo ex demonstrator.
Very happy so far, however have the same condensation issue in the passenger side headlight.
How did everyone else get on with warranty replacements?
I’ve messaged the dealer and am yet to hear back.
Thanks!

IMG_2281.jpeg

roybosh

Post by roybosh »

I took the car to the dealers this morning for the condensation in the nearside headlight issue, I got a call back from them a couple of hours later.
"We notice that your nearside rear tyre has 2.75mm tread left on it, the other side has 6mm. Do you want us to change it while the car is with us, £179.00 fitted."
I had a non repairable puncture on the rear offside tyre a few weeks ago at £143.00 fitted, at my local tyre shop. I'm heading to London in a few weeks and was going to have my local shop fit a new tyre.
According to the dealer a visual inspection of the condensation is not the only check they need to perform.
They will also run a full diagnostic check on the Matrix light command modules just in case the water ingress has affected the functionality of the headlight wiring to the headlight.
Heavy wear on the tyre is quite a well known thing, lots of torque and horsepower. I do, on occasion, drive it with gusto. 12k miles or a year and new tyres are required. I suspect 24k and two years for the fronts.
I digress, I'm waiting for the dealer to update me on the results of the diagnostics and whether it is a warranty replacement. I think the Matrix headlight unit will be pretty expensive, used lights are around £400-£600 on e-bay
Family Pro Performance
Ordered 31 October 2021
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

roybosh wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:24 pm I took the car to the dealers this morning for the condensation in the nearside headlight issue, I got a call back from them a couple of hours later.
"We notice that your nearside rear tyre has 2.75mm tread left on it, the other side has 6mm. Do you want us to change it while the car is with us, £179.00 fitted."
I had a non repairable puncture on the rear offside tyre a few weeks ago at £143.00 fitted, at my local tyre shop. I'm heading to London in a few weeks and was going to have my local shop fit a new tyre.
According to the dealer a visual inspection of the condensation is not the only check they need to perform.
They will also run a full diagnostic check on the Matrix light command modules just in case the water ingress has affected the functionality of the headlight wiring to the headlight.
Heavy wear on the tyre is quite a well known thing, lots of torque and horsepower. I do, on occasion, drive it with gusto. 12k miles or a year and new tyres are required. I suspect 24k and two years for the fronts.
I digress, I'm waiting for the dealer to update me on the results of the diagnostics and whether it is a warranty replacement. I think the Matrix headlight unit will be pretty expensive, used lights are around £400-£600 on e-bay
Each time my ID3 has been with the dealer (too many times), they tell me I need new tyres. I guess they want to make as much dosh from everything they can as the servicing should be minimal.
roybosh

Post by roybosh »

roybosh wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:24 pm I took the car to the dealers this morning for the condensation in the nearside headlight issue, I got a call back from them a couple of hours later.
I had a call from the dealer today, VW UK have approved the warranty claim and will fit the new unit tomorrow, as soon as it arrives.
All in all, happy with the outcome.
Family Pro Performance
Ordered 31 October 2021
roybosh

Post by roybosh »

roybosh wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:05 pm
I had a call from the dealer today, VW UK have approved the warranty claim and will fit the new unit tomorrow, as soon as it arrives.
All in all, happy with the outcome.
I picked up my car, new headlight fitted, covered by warranty and it was washed and hoovered.
Well done Barnetts, Dundee.
Family Pro Performance
Ordered 31 October 2021
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

Well this is bonkers.

My second passenger side replacement headlight has misted up now.

Booked in for an inspection at the dealers in a couple of weeks.

PXL_20240216_090300726.jpg

71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
Knotcross

Post by Knotcross »

Like many of the previous posters, I am also having issues with my N/S matrix headlight. The O/S light is fine. This is my second N/S light unit. I had the first replaced in Dec 2023 with the same issue. I was due to have an MOT and was told it would fail so the garage agreed to replace it under warranty. Within 2 months I am back to the same situation. This is clearly not a one off fault with a particular light unit but a design flaw. Surely VW are able to produce a light unit that can cope with a bit of british rain!? I was told the matrix light unit costs £1750 to replace! VW clearly need to sort out their design and then do a full recall! I would be interested to know if it's just the matrix light unit that's affected or if standard lights are suffering the same issue?

20240220_073904 (1).jpg

20240220_073850 (1).jpg

20240212_080309 (1).jpg

Crishev

Post by Crishev »

I seem to be the only one with this issue on the offside headlamp! Local dealer not interested as I didn't purchase the car from them but thankfully Johnsons VW Tamworth have been brilliant about it and are changing the complete unit. I've been told these headlights are on backorder but should arrive within 7 working days, fitted and recalibrated within 10.

20240216_103340.jpg

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Crishev wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:06 am I seem to be the only one with this issue on the offside headlamp! Local dealer not interested as I didn't purchase the car from them but thankfully Johnsons VW Tamworth have been brilliant about it and are changing the complete unit. I've been told these headlights are on backorder but should arrive within 7 working days, fitted and recalibrated within 10.
Are you saying “local VW dealer not interested”?
Crishev

Post by Crishev »

Certainly am. The first question I got was " did you buy the car from us?" which I feel is irrelevant. From that point on the negativity from the dealer grew. I was told that its normal due to heating and cooling to it's common with ID.3's nothing to worry about.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Crishev wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:25 am Certainly am. The first question I got was " did you buy the car from us?" which I feel is irrelevant. From that point on the negativity from the dealer grew. I was told that its normal due to heating and cooling to it's common with ID.3's nothing to worry about.
Best let us know who they are, so we can avoid them.
Crishev

Post by Crishev »

Sure, Listers Nuneaton.
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

TheJimster wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:43 pm Well this is bonkers.

My second passenger side replacement headlight has misted up now.

Booked in for an inspection at the dealers in a couple of weeks.
So, replacement headlight number three got approved at the dealers today. Which is obviously good, and they say the part is readily available, but I don't have much confidence that VW have actually tackled the problem here. There's clearly something substandard about these headlights.

I drove into a car park at the weekend, spotted an ID3 charging, oh look, it's also got the standard issue misted up passenger side headlight!
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

Headlight number three has now been fitted. Let's see if it lasts any longer than its predecessors...
JohnEG

Post by JohnEG »

I get that problem from time to time but the condensation always clears when temeratures get above 10 degrees or so.
Can't say it bothers me.
Life Pro Performance, White/Black, East Derry Alloys.
Order No: 31558xxx 18/11/21
Delivered 14 November 22
Zappi Charger
Software 3.2.0