Charger cover flap

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Flip

Post by Flip »

Hi all,
Just completed my first charge. I have no way to charge at home so am using public chargers and went smoothly :D
Is there a way to close the charger cover flap a bit when charging? It feels weird leaving it open on a public road all night and concerned someone may knock it.
Thanks

PXL_20211101_213324343.jpg

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Nope. No offical way and I think it’s a bit of a design weakensss. Where I charge it at home it’s quite easy for a neighbour or someone walking around the side of the car to catch it and potentially drag it off.

Wondered if an elastic band around the plug and flap would close it down a bit…
Flip

Post by Flip »

Thanks for your reply. Didn't think there was but hoped I might be missing something 😂
I might try that next time 👍
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

Is there any possibility of using one of those mini bungee cords to attach to the flap and then somewhere on the charge port area? It might help to keep the flap at a slightly less awkward angle.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

A simple fix would have been to let it fold right back maybe, possibly a 2 stage hinge. We have a very low wall at the edge of our drive that I park along and the charger is plugged in on that side. Despite my comments the postman insists on using it as a path and brushes alongside the car, I know one day I will find it on the floor. (There is lots of room to go up the other side and the difference in distance is probably about 2 strides.)
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

Don't worry about it. Nothings going to happen

Nice colour BTW, I wanted to get that gorgeous turquoise but compromise with the wife was white :)
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
Flip

Post by Flip »

Thanks all, so me useful ideas to try 👍
I love the colour, originally I wanted white but am so pleased with colour 😍
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

colonelpurple wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:17 am Don't worry about it. Nothings going to happen
There was a case on the id3 FB page where someones was broken off at a public charger (presumably by someone walking past and catching it). It wasnt a cheap fix... and didnt just press back in again :(
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

MotMot wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:54 pm
colonelpurple wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:17 am Don't worry about it. Nothings going to happen
There was a case on the id3 FB page where someones was broken off at a public charger (presumably by someone walking past and catching it). It wasnt a cheap fix... and didnt just press back in again :(
I stopped using Facebook a few years ago
My life has been so much enhanced
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

colonelpurple wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:19 pm
MotMot wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:54 pm
I stopped using Facebook a few years ago
My life has been so much enhanced
I stopped using Facebook before it ever went live. I must be psychic! And also stress free.