First road Trip 1500 miles

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
itsjon

Post by itsjon »

Well... I know the car a lot more after our 1500 mile (maybe more) trip around England.

We started off near Edinburgh with a full charge. Outside temp about 3 degrees. Our target - MFG Power forecourt Wiggan
Due to the outside temp the ID3 notified us about 50 miles in that our power consumption was too high to 'safely' reach the destination and that another charge stop 'may' be automatically added/suggested. This notification came and went as we continued. We calculated we would probably make MFG Power with just about 20 miles to spare... however, Tbay services (the UK's best) was en route so we stopped for a 15 min topup at a Gridserve charger (accessed via a bridge on to the northbound side up a single track road) This was effortless. toilet stop and some shopping for our self catering Air & B later that day.

Back onto the road to our target charge stop MFG Power Wiggan. Smart looking charging bays with a small sit in costa on site. Charged up to about 90%

IMG_20220210_125217_660_2.jpg

Onto a business meeting at Telford that went on a bit too long - it was nearly dark outside.

Next charge stop was to be a top up near Birmingham. The chestnut tree pub/restaurant - Axeltree way (ospray charger) however, we decided to continue & test the id.3's range to our digs in the Cotswolds.
In doing this we found out some useful features of the satnav and charging intelligence.
About half way there we get the 'power consumption too high to reach destination, additional charging may be required' message, followed by 'charging stop added to your route'
This was great.. So, the car will dynamically add a charger to your route guidance if your driving style or weather reduce efficiency mid journey.. Then, about 30 miles later (after some economical flat miles) we get another message 'The additional charging stop is no longer required, it has been removed' ... Great, so we then made the mistake of turning up the pace to more naughty speeds. 20 miles later an additional charge stop was automatically added once more, lesson learned. We were impressed to experience the car looking after us though ! as we tested out its limits. The charger suggested was to be a Shell charger only 10 miles from the digs. Our Air & B at Stroud included a Zappy Charger so we knew we were good to go low.
The land had been level and we were seeing good efficiency, so, with just over 20 miles range we decided to skip the suggested charge. a mile past the charger the road ramped up skyward. The last 10 miles was ALL uphill, a steep hill. The car had already limited available power 25 to 30 mile ago.. Still very driveable though. We came into the Air & B with 5 miles range left... Had we encountered a diversion or got lost at the end of route we would have hit the turtle power wall of doom. So... although we wouldn't want to put ourselves through that again, its great to know the id3 has your back covered at all times :) ... I thought that was worth sharing.

IMG_20220210_191733_420_2.jpg

From the Stroud base we were easily able to explore Gloustershire and the Cotswolds charging each night at the Air & B. They charged 40pKWH which I thought was a bit stingy for a domestic 7kw, but way cheaper than petrol

IMG_20220214_093026_063.jpg

From the Cotswolds to Norfolk via a topup at the Gridserve Brainree electric forecourt. Stress free once more arriving with the car at 20% charge

IMG_20220214_143927_437.jpg

Onto another Air & B in Norwich, this time the EV charging was FREE ! ... result ... A large house converted into apartments with 3 smart chargers and one high amp type 2 port.
So, we were able to zap all over Norfolk during our stay on free juice.

Then on to Leicester. A hotel/pub with a Alfa Power charger in their carpark.

On our way back we made one stop, Scotch Corner services to charge at a Gridserve once more.

Over the trip we also made a couple of pod point graze charges and a destination bp point charge due to congested car parks. We did not want to 'EV' an ICE bay.

Sure, that interior can appear clinical (I like the 77 X Wing star wars vibe as it happens) but we both had no issues whatsoever with comfort. No wriggling about or constantly reaching for seat rake. You don't think about how comfortable you are, you just arrive :) Only after have I actually thought about how comfortable I was.. So, yeh, it does distance GREAT !

95% of the time we are able to charge from home on a cheap rate overnight... So, Its great to know longer trips are going to be hassle free even in cold weather. An excellent experience. An exciting 5 years or so ahead as we all transition. More Braintree style electric forecourts, even faster charging speeds with more and more destination chargers installed at shops, businesses, workplaces and accommodation.

VW - Tart up the interior, supply alloys as standard and sort out the UI ... apart from that the car achieves all its requirements with ease.
Last edited by itsjon on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:25 pm, edited 8 times in total.

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Nice report, thanks. As a relatively recent buyer I've used three rapid chargers so far (MFG, Osprey, Instavolt) and found them all straightforward. I agree it's a good car for a long day's drive. Only lesson we learned was to make sure we were navigating to the exact charger location from zapmap or the network app.
To get the car range/charger functionality you described, were you just using the car's normal satnav, or had you used the Wecharge app?
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
itsjon

Post by itsjon »

sidehaas wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:02 pm Nice report, thanks. As a relatively recent buyer I've used three rapid chargers so far (MFG, Osprey, Instavolt) and found them all straightforward. I agree it's a good car for a long day's drive. Only lesson we learned was to make sure we were navigating to the exact charger location from zapmap or the network app.
To get the car range/charger functionality you described, were you just using the car's normal satnav, or had you used the Wecharge app?
Just the standard Satnav ... Its got your back :)
Uphamid3

Post by Uphamid3 »

Thank you for such an inspiring account of your travels! My id3 has been on order since early October, and I heard yesterday from the dealers that I'll be lucky to see it this year, prompting me to seriously consider cancelling the order.

You timely post may have just tipped the balance back towards just being patient and waiting, even if it is a long time. Thank you.
3twins

Post by 3twins »

Good report. I live in Northern Ireland and bought my ID.3 In Kent via DTD so my first trip was picking the car up fully Charged in Gillingham. A few trips In London to see my offspring and an overnight stay then a trip up to Liverpool for the boat home with one stop at the Banbury instavolts. All very stress free and the car was very comfy. I ordered the heat pump and the alloys and got good efficency for the trip 3.7 miles per Kw in 3-7 degrees (22 Jan) but there were a lot of 50mph limits and no wind to speak of and I would agree its a comfortable car for 3hrs at a time. I'm doing a trip in the republic of Ireland in late March so it will be interesting to see what the infrastructure is like :)
Id.3 Family Pro Performance East Derry's Heat pump and cycle carrier prep.
CynicMe

Post by CynicMe »

Thank you for sharing!
21/07/21: ordered VW ID3 Life pro
10/10/21: received VW Order No: 3136xxxx
05/12/21: dealer offered someone's cancelled order - own car not built yet
23/12/21: car had arrived in the UK
29/12/21; picked up car from dealership :D
ksoni94

Post by ksoni94 »

Such a great write up thank you for sharing this!
I.D 3 Family Pro - Order placed 26.07.21 - Picked up 20.02.22
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Lovely report, thanks! We were in the Cotswolds at the same time it seems. Never had an issue charging there. Some Instavolts in Stroud and Stonehouse, Gridserve at Gloucester South and North, and the place we stayed let us charge on the 3-pin which was fine.

Totally agree on the comfort. The car is fantastic.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Enlightening report, thanks. Interesting that the VW sat nav was so helpful. I’ve been using Apple maps, as it seemed a bit better than the VW one, but I might revert back.
vanb

Post by vanb »

I found your report interesting and really enjoyable to read. Fills me with more confidence about travelling longer distances when my ID.3 finally arrives!!!! Ordered a 204PS 58kWh Life Pro Performance with upgraded alloy wheels back in August 2021. Expected delivery was end of January 2022. It’s code 20 at the moment so hopefully it will arrive in time for the longer days and better weather. Thanks once again for a great read.
smuj

Post by smuj »

Thanks, good write up. Nice to see everything going to plan.
Smuj

I’m an analogue man in a digital world
———————————————————————————————————
Family Pro Performance 58KW. Stonewashed Blue, East Derry wheels.
Mikster

Post by Mikster »

Fantastic write up - thanks so much for sharing.

We made our first long distance trip last week to York. Weather was not ideal in both directions with the wind and rain so not the most efficient drive!

We were driving from Bedfordshire and stopped at Markham Moor Shell to top up and grab some lunch. 50 minutes there and we were back beyond 90% for the leg up to York.

At the hotel was pleasantly surprised to find it had free charging. First time using the supplied cable. Only problem was the charger kept tripping its fuse every 15 minutes. Handily it was near to the bar so gave me an excuse to have a pint to “keep an eye” out 😀🍺

Trip back was on Friday so as you can imagine the weather was interesting. Have to say the car handled it well (all the weight from the batteries firmly planting it on the road!). Stopped again at Markham Moor but at the Instavolt by the McDonalds. We stopped for 15 minutes to grab a coffee and add enough to get us home. All very smooth.

Have to say very impressed with how the car drove - so smooth and comfortable. The ACC was brilliant - stuck it at 70 and let it do the rest and even when visibility was not the best it coped well and kept us at a decent distance to the car in front.
Family Pro Performance, Moonstone Grey, East Derry Alloys, Bike Hitch
Ordered - 31/7/21
Confirmed Build Week - 46
Delivery - 14/1/22
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Scratch wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:57 pm Enlightening report, thanks. Interesting that the VW sat nav was so helpful. I’ve been using Apple maps, as it seemed a bit better than the VW one, but I might revert back.
I'm really impressed with it now. It's well integrated with the charging system.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

Thanks for the report and nice photos. I couldn't help myself and had to Google the Tebay chargers. The image is depressing. What a mess.

https://goo.gl/maps/pobJJHcHcS3TvXf36

I can not wait to get the car, even more so now.
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
duckworthsj

Post by duckworthsj »

Great report, thanks.
I think these trip reports are really helpful to build confidence and also ‘Learn’. We did a 1000 km plus ‘ski and family visit’ trip a few weeks back; 3 main legs approx 600km, 350km, 600km. I won’t bore you with the details but some lessons learnt.
1) Agree comfortable to drive - except the annoying controls that are not visible at night.
2) Plenty of space - sufficient for a large suitcase, skis, ski shoes, helmets etc for 2. - not to forget to take your charging cable out before loading up the car. We subsequently have been able to get 2 cycles inside. The entry via the rear boot is really good when loading.
3) Charging stations. The VW application WeCharge is a bit strange. It suggested a route involving charging spots in Switzerland that appear to be ‘residential’. It also seems only to suggest the chargers with compatibility with WeCharge. ( could be a settings issue)
I prefer the Chargemap app and anyway on the first long trip, I preferred stay on the autoroutes and not have to have the Swiss franc/Euro exchange rate.
I agree the on-Board navigation adjusts to the charge level and consumption and suggests stops. But again is limited to the WeCharge locations.

The price of charging on the autoroutes is like buying petrol on the autoroutes…. Expensive because you are paying for the convenience. What we hadn’t realised is that in most you pay by the minute and the initial charge rate is very slow compared to the nameplate charging capacity. So when you see a 300KW DC charger you might only get 3-5kw /minute for quite a few minutes. Obviously this inflates the price and your estimated charge time.
In addition, we automatically when for the ‘highest speed charger’. There are usually also lower speed chargers which often have a lower fee. Since the ID3 restricts the max charge rate next time it might be better if I use these for the longer stops.

The network (mostly IONITY) however is extremely good. Almost all of the larger services on the autoroutes have 5 or 6 chargers and there is an indication for charging available on the road signs on the autoroutes.

4) As the original post said the ID3 gives ‘dynamic’ notifications if you are not going to reach your planned ‘charge stop’. We appreciated this on the return journey (night, cold and storm force headwind).
Hers: ID3 204ch Pro Performance Denim Blue Black Roof. East Derry alloys, Pack Comfort Plus, Pack Assistance Plus.
His: Mini Cooper S-Electric 184ch ‘Yours’ (UK Level 3) Chili Red, Black Pack, Heat Reflective Windows… And lots of fun
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

DumfriesDik wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:02 am Thanks for the report and nice photos. I couldn't help myself and had to Google the Tebay chargers. The image is depressing. What a mess.

https://goo.gl/maps/pobJJHcHcS3TvXf36

I can not wait to get the car, even more so now.
You don't go to Tebay for the chargers... although in recent years I have found it to be a victim of it's own success with our last visit ending in a chatoic drive through and on to the next stop as it was so busy. (Not in an EV)
steve

Post by steve »

The problem is that there is a huge intersection between the set of people who own electric cars and the people who like tebay, such that there is always a queue for the charger. I usually have a look in at tebay but end up in southwaite - not a lovely place, but always a charger available at about the point I need to charge on my way home Sheffield to Dundee.
steve

Post by steve »

Andreas wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:13 pm
Scratch wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:57 pm Enlightening report, thanks. Interesting that the VW sat nav was so helpful. I’ve been using Apple maps, as it seemed a bit better than the VW one, but I might revert back.
I'm really impressed with it now. It's well integrated with the charging system.

All the best

Andreas
I use the built-in satnav for longer journeys where it is good to know when a charge will be needed and where I can get one, and Google maps for short trips because I think it will warn me about sudden congestion better.