My Zappi2 arrived today.

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Sheps

Post by Sheps »

No more 3 pin plug charging for me though it has kept me driving for the past three weeks without issue.

I have solar panels on the roof from 11 years ago with no app attached to them. And I have an ASHP with an Eddy app that they have linked to the MyEnergy app so that it all talks. If anyone has advice about using any of the features of the Zappy with my ID.3 and the MyEnergi app I'd be pleased to hear it.

bubalooben

Post by bubalooben »

I also have one and have a couple of tips with the id3.

Fast and eco mode work as you’d expect but eco+ is a bit tricky. It will charge the car when the solar has surplus but the id3 refuses to take more charge after a few cycles. The car has some kind of counter that makes it go to sleep and stop trying.

You can make it restart in the app or by unplugging it. I also use scheduling on the zappi and just make sure as it gets dark it is trying to charge.

The logic seems to be it will wait for a charge for as long as needed but after a few stops and starts the id3 gives up.
Sheps

Post by Sheps »

That's frustrating: it was the mode I was expecting to use most often. I'll give it a try on Thursday when I am at home all day and the forecast is for sun.

Thank you for your response.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

The Zappi works well but you need to consider a few things.

You need a minimum of 1.4kW of power to charge an EV (All EVs it's part of the standards) so you need to generate that much surplus to get a charge, or you can 'blend' the percentage of PV and Grid Power to allow it to use the surplus but you will end up paying for some grid power.

The car has built in charger fault detection, during a session if the charge keeps stopping and starting that will be seen as a fault and so the car will stop charging, it doesn't give up it sees the situation as a fault. If it's cloudy or your system hasn't got a consistent surplus the ID.3 will disconnect and you'll need to restart the session.

If you are going to use any scheduled charging you need to leave the Zappi in Eco+ otherwise it will start charging as soon as it is plugged in.

Good Luck and bring on the Sun... I have managed to get about 5% each day for the last few days, on top of running the house and topping up 10kW of batteries.
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

I use Eco+ to schedule overnight charging - works every time. I plug in when I know there will be NO excess solar from my panels. The less obvious bit is setting up the Zappi.

Zappi .png

I don't use the Zappi app at all, simply set every day of the week manually once. Now when I plug in the car the Duration set (to coincide with my cheaper tariff) is given. You may notice that the charger socket light on the car goes red after a while (and I've even had a warning on the car app that there is a fault) but you can ignore this. Never had a charge failure.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

The app is so much more user friendly, can't understand why you wouldn't use the app?
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

No mobile phone!
G43FAN wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:31 am The app is so much more user friendly, can't understand why you wouldn't use the app?
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Raxacorico wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:43 am No mobile phone!
G43FAN wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:31 am The app is so much more user friendly, can't understand why you wouldn't use the app?
Good enough reason I guess :) https://myaccount.myenergi.com/schedules ??
Dbaron

Post by Dbaron »

VW don't follow charging standards so you might have problems with eco settings. Hopefully VW will fix this with a software update.......

https://myenergi.info/vw-ev-s-and-eco-t2447.html
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Dbaron wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:30 am VW don't follow charging standards so you might have problems with eco settings. Hopefully VW will fix this with a software update.......

28 pages of comments starting 18 months and several software versions ago, which particular issue are you talking about?
Dbaron

Post by Dbaron »

G43FAN wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:15 pm
Dbaron wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:30 am VW don't follow charging standards so you might have problems with eco settings. Hopefully VW will fix this with a software update.......

28 pages of comments starting 18 months and several software versions ago, which particular issue are you talking about?
VW EV's do not comply with the Standard IEC61851-1 which is the standard for AC charging.

Basically if the sun goes in for 3 minutes or more (behind a cloud) and your solar system doesn't generate more that 1.4kw for that time the car goes to sleep. When the sun comes back out the car doesn't wake back up. The car ingores the charger when it sends a message saying it wants to send charge again. You need to go to your car unplug and plug it back in or follow some of the work arounds mentioned.
steve

Post by steve »

I use my Zappi 2 to do scheduled charging (no solar panels yet) to use Bulb's 2am-6am EV rate. The id3 behaves fine when charging stops at 6 and resumes the next night at 2.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Dbaron wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:27 pm
G43FAN wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:15 pm

VW EV's do not comply with the Standard IEC61851-1 which is the standard for AC charging.

Basically if the sun goes in for 3 minutes or more (behind a cloud) and your solar system doesn't generate more that 1.4kw for that time the car goes to sleep. When the sun comes back out the car doesn't wake back up. The car ingores the charger when it sends a message saying it wants to send charge again. You need to go to your car unplug and plug it back in or follow some of the work arounds mentioned.

lol Dr. Chris?