ID3 servicing.......... simply explained

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Problem is (and its a problem for ALL legacy manufacturers and their customers) that the dealers and thus servicers are not directly under VW (or other mfr) control..

So you can easily get a good one and a bad one a few miles apart..

Saw a couple of articles flagged on speakEV last week where legacy dealers are starting to crap themselves as the reduced income from EV servicing (or lack there-of) will hit them hard..

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Valid point.

A question: have any ID owners in the UK received a service book with their cars? Ours didn't have one with it though we did buy used. The VW dealer said that there was no service on record but when I asked for a printout of that record they declined.

I'm keeping my own folder of all dates, amounts and works undertaken just so I can pass on a record to a future owner.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Polar Bear wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:43 pm We bought our ID.3 1st Edition in March 2023. It was new in November 2020 and had 11,800 miles on the clock.

I had the car serviced by Cleevely EV, a mobile HEVRA approved service operating in England, Wales and Scotland. Having a properly qualified independent service your car will not invalidate your warranty in the UK.

We're having Michelin Cross Climate 2 tyres fitted today along with a full wheel alignment. The latter will reveal any chassis warranty issues before the 3 year warranty expires in 11 days time. We took the car to a VW approved independent because they offered a good deal but they too do the heavy sell crap. Firstly they tried to sell me a service and MoT in spite of the car having had an MoT on 1st March before we bought it so it not being due for more than 3 months. They then tried to compel me to have the brake fluid replaced as that is 3 years old. Neither of these items need doing but VW have this "2 years" thing. My first job in the 1980's was as an apprentice mechanic and we could test brake fluid but generally would recommend replacing every 5 years. It does very very slowly gather a small amount of water content over time but will be fine unless you drive like a loon or there is damage and thus a small leak to your system allowing water in but not necessarily letting brake fluid out.

Also, the software is still on v2.4. VW has given up on updates OTA so you have to book with a main agent. They too tried to sell me the MoT and brake fluid change but also a full service. When I declined they moved my software upgrade date out a month. Classy.

I have a healthy mistrust of the dealer and approved independent garage trade. It's all about emptying your wallet in my opinion.

I will be sticking with Cleevely for my servicing.

VW are appalling at customer service but I guess they don't feel the need to improve. This however is my first VW and although the car is excellent I will not hesitate to buy something that I like next time even if it's not a VW.
Can Cleevely reset the service indicator?
Mark55

Post by Mark55 »

Re service record book, never had one. First car I have ever had that had, no service book, no user manual, no infotainment book.
ID.3 Max Pro Performance ordered September 2021.
Glacier White Metallic Flat black
Delivered May 2023. Running 3.2
Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/dusky-quail-943
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

New to this forum and struggling to figure out how to quote a previous post in a reply.

Cleevely seem to have reset the service indicator, yes. However, the car was showing that a service was not required for nearly a year when we bought it despite being 2 years and 3 months old. I got it serviced anyway.
roybosh

Post by roybosh »

Polar Bear wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:34 pm New to this forum and struggling to figure out how to quote a previous post in a reply.

Cleevely seem to have reset the service indicator, yes. However, the car was showing that a service was not required for nearly a year when we bought it despite being 2 years and 3 months old. I got it serviced anyway.
Click on the inverted commas at the top right of the window.
Family Pro Performance
Moonstone Grey, 18" Derry Alloys, Transport Hitch, Heat Pump
Ordered 31 October 2021
Build Date, December 2022, week 50
picked up 12/01/23 with software 3.2
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

roybosh wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:36 pm
Polar Bear wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:34 pm New to this forum and struggling to figure out how to quote a previous post in a reply.

Click on the inverted commas at the top right of the window.
Ah yes, I see. Thanks.

I didn't quite figure it out before. D'oh!
Tabletop

Post by Tabletop »

On coming up to two years, dealer informed us it was necessary to have our ID3 serviced if we wanted warranty to remain valid. £190 for very little. Told me the batteries are healthy (knew this from the software upgrade earlier this year when same dealer produced battery health report). Also advised front tyres were wearing unevenly, but tracking adjustment is not part of a service. Left with opinion it is a scam, but they have you by the sort and warranties.
Chris R

Post by Chris R »

Tabletop wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:58 am On coming up to two years, dealer informed us it was necessary to have our ID3 serviced if we wanted warranty to remain valid. £190 for very little. Told me the batteries are healthy (knew this from the software upgrade earlier this year when same dealer produced battery health report). Also advised front tyres were wearing unevenly, but tracking adjustment is not part of a service. Left with opinion it is a scam, but they have you by the sort and warranties.
Check earlier postings on this topic, your warranty is not dependent on using a VW dealership.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Chris R wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:02 pm
Tabletop wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:58 am On coming up to two years, dealer informed us it was necessary to have our ID3 serviced if we wanted warranty to remain valid. £190 for very little. Told me the batteries are healthy (knew this from the software upgrade earlier this year when same dealer produced battery health report). Also advised front tyres were wearing unevenly, but tracking adjustment is not part of a service. Left with opinion it is a scam, but they have you by the sort and warranties.
Check earlier postings on this topic, your warranty is not dependent on using a VW dealership.
Which is true if you 100% own the car and don't mind the hit on resale, but guaranteed future value is a condition of a lot of financial agreements so if the car is on lease or PCP agreement you may be required to have it serviced at a franchised dealership anyway under the terms of the finance.
Splash-Man

Post by Splash-Man »

It might sound a lot but I guess it depends on how many miles you have covered in that time. It currently costs me between £300 - £400 for a service every year (about 15,000) miles in my diesel car.
Therefore I will be more than happy paying £200 every 2 years for the service on my ID3 regardless of whether they just kick the tyres !
Makes for a significant saving but obviously depends a little on mileage etc.
2023 Facelift 77kWh Pro S Costa Azule
18/9/23 Order placed
15/12/23 Collection day count down !
Tabletop

Post by Tabletop »

Splash-Man wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:39 pm
It might sound a lot but I guess it depends on how many miles you have covered in that time. It currently costs me between £300 - £400 for a service every year (about 15,000) miles in my diesel car.
Therefore I will be more than happy paying £200 every 2 years for the service on my ID3 regardless of whether they just kick the tyres !
Makes for a significant saving but obviously depends a little on mileage etc.
I’m on PCP so no choice. 20k miles. After paying dealer for the “service”, I had to pay elsewhere to get tracking adjusted when front tyres were replaced - dealer pointed out tyres wearing unevenly. My issue is that the dealer did nothing for their money, I’d rather they built it into the price of the car/deal than the pretence of a service.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Polar Bear wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:43 pm Valid point.

A question: have any ID owners in the UK received a service book with their cars? Ours didn't have one with it though we did buy used. The VW dealer said that there was no service on record but when I asked for a printout of that record they declined.

I'm keeping my own folder of all dates, amounts and works undertaken just so I can pass on a record to a future owner.
As is the way these days, I believe the service record is electronic.
I just keep all the paperwork the dealer gives me after they have done anything to the car. This should satisfy most potential buyers.
SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety »

If you sell the car via eg Motorway or WBAC etc, they ask for proof of servicing and will happily accept the dealer's paperwork/invoice. If you sell to any VAG dealer they can access the service record

My local VW dealer would never, ever, even consider doing anything that they're not obliged to do (it's baked in to their policy and culture) so any chance of getting some kind of hard-copy of the service record.... forget it
id3 Max 2021
TimF

Post by TimF »

Chris R wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:02 pm
In law, that's true. But if non-VW-brand servicing workshops can't, don't or won't acquire whatever "software" (mentioned twice to me) or equipment required to carry out the service, the option of going elsewhere is hypothetical, and servicing is required to maintain the warranty. I assume the software and hardware requirement is for accessing the car's log of incidents, errors, activity? For our car's service, attached to the itemised bill were two sheets detailing the result of the visual examination checks - all absolutely standard, and even included a tick in the green boxes for "Exhaust System (complete inc catalytic converter)".
dellair

Post by dellair »

My car was due for inspection last week, and a VW dealership quoted the following: Inspection £260, Pollen filter £60, Brake fluid £80. The VW service plan costs £31 per month for 12 months, totaling £372. Two VW dealerships informed me that the £199 plan is no longer available.

I had my car serviced by a VW authorized garage (non-dealership) for £168. They are able to turn off the 'inspection due' warning indicator because they pay a monthly subscription to VW. Another VW approved MOT garage can also carry out the service but is not able to turn off the indicator.

Additionally, a service performed by a non-VW dealership doesn't void the factory warranty and is recorded in the service history database.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Good info. Thabks. Where was the garage you used?
fin

Post by fin »

So VW dealers are trying to get away with charging the same as they would for an ICE vehicle when the work involved in servicing an ID3 is far less. Nice!