ID3 not charging on AC 7KW chargers

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
aniketsantani

Post by aniketsantani »

Hi All,

Just an off chance to check if anyone else is having this issue. My ID3 max suddenly has stopped charging on 7KW AC chargers including my Wallbox Pulsar. Works fine on DC and 22KW AC chargers. On connecting a 7KW charger, white light flashes for a good 1 min and then turns red. This started happening 3 weeks back before which everything was fine. I have tried everything including resetting the car to factory settings.

Meanwhile, I also was scheduled for 2.4 update and dealer mentioned may be that will fix the issue with Charging (they have no clue). The car has been with garage for the update for almost a week now. Apparently the update is failing and they are having a technical exchange with VW. I suspect the two issues are related.

Anyone else in same boat?? Or i am a special case πŸ™„

Thanks,
Aniket

simonmaskell

Post by simonmaskell »

May not be related but there have been a number of wallbox software updates over the last few weeks. Have you done those? I have a max and a Wallbox and all is working fine.
aniketsantani

Post by aniketsantani »

simonmaskell wrote: ↑Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:44 pm May not be related but there have been a number of wallbox software updates over the last few weeks. Have you done those? I have a max and a Wallbox and all is working fine.
It is not just the wallbox on which the car isn't charging. It doesn't charge on any of the 7kw public chargers either.
Deleted User 1733

Post by Deleted User 1733 »

Have you changed the cable you are using when plugging into the 7kw chargers ?
Chris

Post by Chris »

Make sure the cable is securely locked into the car, if not it could be a faulty pin
aniketsantani

Post by aniketsantani »

Big_GT wrote: ↑Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:32 pm Have you changed the cable you are using when plugging into the 7kw chargers ?
Same cable worked with 22kw ones.. So i assumed cable isn't at fault.
aniketsantani

Post by aniketsantani »

Chris wrote: ↑Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:30 pm Make sure the cable is securely locked into the car, if not it could be a faulty pin
Yeah, i suspected the same. But same cable worked for 22kw ac charger using the same AC slot.. So, not sure if its really a hardware issue.
rwh202

Post by rwh202 »

7 kW is single phase and uses p1 and n pins
22 kW (which is limited to 11 kW) is 3 phase and uses p1, p2 and p3 pins.

So, in theory, an issue with the neutral cable or pin / connector at either end could cause the observed behaviour (or could still be one of those random software issues...)
ID.3 Business - Moonstone
aniketsantani

Post by aniketsantani »

rwh202 wrote: ↑Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:17 am 7 kW is single phase and uses p1 and n pins
22 kW (which is limited to 11 kW) is 3 phase and uses p1, p2 and p3 pins.

So, in theory, an issue with the neutral cable or pin / connector at either end could cause the observed behaviour (or could still be one of those random software issues...)
This seems like the most logical explanation. Car has gone through 2.4 update now and it didn't fix the issue. So i am gonna have to take it back to garage and explain this. They are not ready to accept it as a problem quoting that it charges in the garage where they most certainly have a 3 phase connection.
GreyEll

Post by GreyEll »

I was just wondering if you managed to get to the bottom of the problem as I have exactly the same fault, charges fine on the higher rated chargers but will not charge on any 7kw charger. I tried a different (new) cable but still the same. My car has just had the recall updates as well, thanks
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

GreyEll wrote: ↑Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:15 pm I was just wondering if you managed to get to the bottom of the problem as I have exactly the same fault, charges fine on the higher rated chargers but will not charge on any 7kw charger. I tried a different (new) cable but still the same. My car has just had the recall updates as well, thanks
This is from 13 months ago so I would imagine a conclusion of some form was reached although I can't see any update here or in the other thread started. viewtopic.php?t=2422

With regards to your issue when you say 'Higher rated chargers' do you mean AC or are you referring to DC Chargers?