Safety Fail. driver side door open and car moves off

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
thefordprefect

Post by thefordprefect »

While sitting in the driver's seat with the door open and if you then select DRIVE the brake is released by software without manual input and the vehicle moves off slowly WITHOUT touching the accelerator.
The ID3 went in for 12volt battery replacement and software update. We were told that this feature would be fixed, but of course it wasn't!

We checked this on the forecourt before driving away. Found this feature still present. So we eventually got a mechanic to have a look. He said it was not a problem and proved it by trying another ID3 which also moved forward unbidden!!

If the passenger side door is open then the brake is not released.

Whilst not a usual situation it still seems dangerous to me!

Have others noticed this?

Software still shows 2.3.0 despite upgrade to 2.4.0

Deleted User 1733

Post by Deleted User 1733 »

2.3 still shows but the Software will show 0912 well documented everywhere now.
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

I am surprised to hear this. I thought that all cars shouldn't be able to do that now?

I will have to check my Mazda, but I am pretty sure it breaks very soon if the drivers door is open. Also, you have to manually take the handbrake off as well in the Mazda, the car will not do it automatically if the door is open.

How far can you get?
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Surprised this can happen. It didn't happen on my 2 x ID3s and doesn't happen on our 2 Borns. You have to have your foot firmly on the brake to even engage drive, and the autohold then keeps it from moving without accelerator input. I get that there might be a rare occurrence when the driver wants the car door open while crawling along, but not without any accelerator input.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Mine did this the other day. I had the drivers door open and engaged drive, leant out to see how close I was to the edge of my drive as space was tight and the car crept away. I assumed that I hadn't pressed the brake pedal hard enough to engage auto hold. I will try it again later to check it out.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Mine does this.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Maybe I'm a little more heavy footed than most? :lol:
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
AntHillMob

Post by AntHillMob »

We reverse park our ID3 in the garage every night and use this "feature" by just operating the door handle enough to get the red door open warning light to come on which overrides the auto hold without having to wait on the menu to boot up and manually deselect auto hold. I found this out by accident not long after getting our one but don't see it as a hindrance as long as you are aware it will happen, as you have to actually select drive or reverse once the door is opened. Thought it might be changed after upgrade to 2.4 but still the same in our case also. VW have not been very active in advising drivers that this occurs.
Family Pro, Manganese Grey
Heat Pump
Ordered 27th August 2021
At dealers 3rd March 2022
Received 10th March 2022
Casparh

Post by Casparh »

Daveion wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:43 am Mine did this the other day. I had the drivers door open and engaged drive, leant out to see how close I was to the edge of my drive as space was tight and the car crept away. I assumed that I hadn't pressed the brake pedal hard enough to engage auto hold. I will try it again later to check it out.
Not sure if this is relevant, but, my Audi won't engage auto hold unless you have your seatbelt on.
cakeDiver

Post by cakeDiver »

not sure if this is really a safety concern. Maybe it's more of a desired behaviour... I personnaly disabled the auto hold feature as there's then less chance for you to leave the car with an engaged drive. It's the same in the renault zoe (and I believe the Megane e-tech) that will always creep to 10km/h or so if you have an engaged drive and your foot off the brakes
Jamie1c

Post by Jamie1c »

Casparh wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:21 am
Daveion wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:43 am Mine did this the other day. I had the drivers door open and engaged drive, leant out to see how close I was to the edge of my drive as space was tight and the car crept away. I assumed that I hadn't pressed the brake pedal hard enough to engage auto hold. I will try it again later to check it out.
Not sure if this is relevant, but, my Audi won't engage auto hold unless you have your seatbelt on.
Same for me in my outlander phev
Max pro (white)
East Derry wheels
Ordered the 20/08/21
Dealership- Arnold Clark
Status 10 (14/02/22)
Collected - 28/04/23
Midgex

Post by Midgex »

I suppose any old automatic vehicle with a torque converter would have done that.

Being drivable with the drivers door open is occasionally useful, for tricky parking etc.
The passenger might be acting as an observer, but they could do it from outside.

What exactly do you want disabled/enabled?