A few issues for a Newbie Owner - Battery Lights Pre-Heat

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
eyedeethree

Post by eyedeethree »

Hi - Had mine 2 weeks now and I'm working my way through how it all works. Todays issue is its cold out and was freezing overnight - The car was plugged in, still is, and charged to 80%. On looking at my app however, it now says its at 76%? I haven't started any air conditioning and its still plugged in - Why would the car not maintain the required 80% if its still plugged in (assuming power is being used for something overnight)?

Also, is there a way of stopping the system turning on air conditioning when I turn pre-heat on?

Finally, I have the Headlights on Auto and have chosen that they come on "Late" but they seem to be on all the time - If I try to select "off" that only seems to work if the car is stationary. In short, my headlights are on all the time I use the car. Is there a setting somewhere else?

Regards
O/no 31540***
O/Date 6th Nov 2021

Kryten

Post by Kryten »

I think the late bit applies to the lights staying on when you leave the car?
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Ref headlights, are you getting confused with the daytime running lights? These stay on all the time.

Ref: charging - if you have programmed charging through your home charger then it won't know the ID3 has dropped below 80% so won't top it up without any action from you.
If you have programmed through the car using a preferred timeslot then it won't top up after the preferred timeslot has ended (if it did, people would complain about it using expensive rate electric).
If you have programmed through the car either using immediate charge or a departure time setting then it should keep it topped up. This is all as intended.
If you are programming through the car you need to make sure your home charger does not also contain a schedule or any other restrictions on the charging, so they don't clash.

The drop from 80% to 76% may well just be the temperature change. If you didn't do any preheating it can still occur because the available capacity in the battery changes with temperature, so the estimate of SoC for a given energy content also changes. That's about the most I've seen though, it's usually only 1-2%.

Your Aircon/preheat question - no. I don't know why you'd want to do it anyway, it will mist the car up. Air con consumption is much lower than heating consumption.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

eyedeethree wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:52 am Hi - Had mine 2 weeks now and I'm working my way through how it all works. Todays issue is its cold out and was freezing overnight - The car was plugged in, still is, and charged to 80%. On looking at my app however, it now says its at 76%? I haven't started any air conditioning and its still plugged in - Why would the car not maintain the required 80% if its still plugged in (assuming power is being used for something overnight)?

Also, is there a way of stopping the system turning on air conditioning when I turn pre-heat on?

Finally, I have the Headlights on Auto and have chosen that they come on "Late" but they seem to be on all the time - If I try to select "off" that only seems to work if the car is stationary. In short, my headlights are on all the time I use the car. Is there a setting somewhere else?

Regards
are you sure it actually charged to 80% ? you might be confusing the 80% target indicator with what it actually received
sometimes when mine is really low, I charge it on the 4 hours cheap I get from Octopus and it doesn't get to 80%, usually something in the 70s !!
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
eyedeethree

Post by eyedeethree »

Kryten wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:53 am I think the late bit applies to the lights staying on when you leave the car?
Thanks - That has a separate setting to adjust the time they stay on elsewhere in the system, that works ok. Most cars dont have a choice when the auto lights activate but whilst this does, it does not appear to make much difference - Do your lights appear to come on even when its still very light?
O/no 31540***
O/Date 6th Nov 2021
eyedeethree

Post by eyedeethree »

sidehaas wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:25 pm Ref headlights, are you getting confused with the daytime running lights? These stay on all the time. - No def is headlights, no wipers on either. If I get in the car in the middle of the day they come on, even if I'm just sitting in it without engaging drive. Does yours come on when its still bright? In an ICE car I'd not bother but I'm trying to maximise the battery where poss.

Ref: charging - if you have programmed charging through your home charger then it won't know the ID3 has dropped below 80% so won't top it up without any action from you.
If you have programmed through the car using a preferred timeslot then it won't top up after the preferred timeslot has ended (if it did, people would complain about it using expensive rate electric).
If you have programmed through the car either using immediate charge or a departure time setting then it should keep it topped up. This is all as intended.
If you are programming through the car you need to make sure your home charger does not also contain a schedule or any other restrictions on the charging, so they don't clash. --- Not sure, I'll investigate further on this one. As far as I'm aware the car is set to charge to 80 with the smart charge function activated. The charger is only able to limit its charge by the amps being reduced, it cannot sense the car charge - it does what the car says (Wallbox Pulsar Plus)

The drop from 80% to 76% may well just be the temperature change. If you didn't do any preheating it can still occur because the available capacity in the battery changes with temperature, so the estimate of SoC for a given energy content also changes. That's about the most I've seen though, it's usually only 1-2%. Ok thanks, I was hoping it would be fixated on keeping it at 80% regardless filling in any draw from pre-heat interior etc.

Your Aircon/preheat question - no. I don't know why you'd want to do it anyway, it will mist the car up. Air con consumption is much lower than heating consumption. Understood - Yes you are absolutely correct, it does seem to mist up if I'm in the car without any heating/blowers on but does seem to use a kw or so of power extra to the heater. I realise the Aircon is also a dehumidifier but if I'm not in it (ie pre-heat) I wouldnt expect it to mist up? Either way, if it cannot be stopped from doing it then thats it I suppose.
O/no 31540***
O/Date 6th Nov 2021
eyedeethree

Post by eyedeethree »

colonelpurple wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:20 pm
eyedeethree wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:52 am Hi - Had mine 2 weeks now and I'm working my way through how it all works. Todays issue is its cold out and was freezing overnight - The car was plugged in, still is, and charged to 80%. On looking at my app however, it now says its at 76%? I haven't started any air conditioning and its still plugged in - Why would the car not maintain the required 80% if its still plugged in (assuming power is being used for something overnight)?

Regards
are you sure it actually charged to 80% ? you might be confusing the 80% target indicator with what it actually received
sometimes when mine is really low, I charge it on the 4 hours cheap I get from Octopus and it doesn't get to 80%, usually something in the 70s !! I don't have a smart meter but my rate is (comparative to todays rates at least) quite low as I still have another year of contract on electric so my charging is just done as and when for now. Saying that I did a charge selected to 90% yesterday where I specified a leaving time, it did that perfectly and reached that just before I left.
O/no 31540***
O/Date 6th Nov 2021