Parts availability and Braking Issue

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
SiDai

Post by SiDai »

Just prior to Christmas, I was involved in an accident when I went into the back of the car in front. Fortunately I was in queueing traffic so speeds were low, but on using the brakes I got no braking response and despite the car being in 'B' regenerative braking mode it still tried to move at its default slow speed pushing the S5 that I hit into the car in front and that car into the car in front. This only made the damage to my ID3 worse. This isn't the first time that I have had issues with the brakes, where on depressing the pedal they have made a half-hearted attempt to stop the car, but always after a second or so functioned properly. Unfortunately the problem has been intermittent and VW have not been able, they say, to identify an issue. I have asked for the data they have taken off the car but my requests have always been met with a polite "Sorry we can not provide that".

Now I fully understand that people may think that I may have tried stopping by pressing on both the 'brake and accelerator' aka 'brake and clutch' as one would in a manual combustion car, but I've been driving automatics for many years and have long lost the muscle memory of 'brake and clutch'; indeed I have the opposite problem of when driving manual cars, I will on occasion forget to depress the clutch. I have also been on advanced driving courses, the most recent being about a year ago and practice defensive driving and this is the first time after 35 years of driving that I have had an accident. Fortunately in this case no one was hurt, but I wonder whether anyone on the forum had had or heard of issues of what is effectively brake failure with the ID3 and "Yes' the tyres have plenty of tread and are designed for use on EV's and "No" there was no black ice on the road that was dry.

So the car is currently being repaired having come off relatively worse for wear having hit an S5, but it has been some time now in the workshop due to back orders on the parts, which includes a side wing. I wonder if anyone is able to shed any light on how long the lead time is for such parts? The reason I ask is that I have arranged for the car to be independently inspected with respect to its brakes and am keen to pursue the issue with VW should any defect be identified.

roybosh

Post by roybosh »

SiDai wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:04 am Just prior to Christmas, I was involved in an accident when I went into the back of the car in front. Fortunately I was in queueing traffic so speeds were low, but on using the brakes I got no braking response and despite the car being in 'B' regenerative braking mode it still tried to move at its default slow speed pushing the S5 that I hit into the car in front and that car into the car in front. This only made the damage to my ID3 worse. This isn't the first time that I have had issues with the brakes, where on depressing the pedal they have made a half-hearted attempt to stop the car, but always after a second or so functioned properly. Unfortunately the problem has been intermittent and VW have not been able, they say, to identify an issue. I have asked for the data they have taken off the car but my requests have always been met with a polite "Sorry we can not provide that".

Now I fully understand that people may think that I may have tried stopping by pressing on both the 'brake and accelerator' aka 'brake and clutch' as one would in a manual combustion car, but I've been driving automatics for many years and have long lost the muscle memory of 'brake and clutch'; indeed I have the opposite problem of when driving manual cars, I will on occasion forget to depress the clutch. I have also been on advanced driving courses, the most recent being about a year ago and practice defensive driving and this is the first time after 35 years of driving that I have had an accident. Fortunately in this case no one was hurt, but I wonder whether anyone on the forum had had or heard of issues of what is effectively brake failure with the ID3 and "Yes' the tyres have plenty of tread and are designed for use on EV's and "No" there was no black ice on the road that was dry.

So the car is currently being repaired having come off relatively worse for wear having hit an S5, but it has been some time now in the workshop due to back orders on the parts, which includes a side wing. I wonder if anyone is able to shed any light on how long the lead time is for such parts? The reason I ask is that I have arranged for the car to be independently inspected with respect to its brakes and am keen to pursue the issue with VW should any defect be identified.
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.
I read somewhere, quite recently, that the ID.3 has an event data recorder (EDR) that reads for a period of time. It may be that VW would not make this data available to you.
I can't find the article, good luck
Family Pro Performance
Moonstone Grey, 18" Derry Alloys, Transport Hitch, Heat Pump
Ordered 31 October 2021
Build Date, December 2022, week 50
picked up 12/01/23 with software 3.2
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

There was something wrong with the brakes on my ID3 but I couldn’t always get it to replicate the time it nearly caused me to crash.

I going down a hill with regen going on in D mode and lightly when a car came round the corner from the junction on the wrong side of the road causing me to attempt an emergency stop and the brakes hardly did anything. I was pressing the pedal really bloody hard and they were doing hardly anything. I had to lift off completely and stomp on the pedal and then they worked properly.

Bloody scary. Could be a related issue.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L