Wireless Phone Charger

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
nallalfc

Post by nallalfc »

I am getting a recurring problem with my wireless phone charger

9 times out of 10 when i put the phone in the charger 30 seconds or so later it comes up with unable to charge mobile phone as foreign object in charger.
I have checked and there is nothing bar the phone in the charger.

It does this on my Iphone 13 an Iphone 11 and also a Samsung so i dont think the error is with the phones.
Just wondering if anyone else has come accross this fault?
72 plate ID.3 150kW Life Pro Performance 58kWh 5dr Auto
Moonstone Grey 18" East derry alloy wheels

N21

Post by N21 »

Yep I get this periodically also. No idea what’s causing it.
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

My experience with the wireless charger has been terrible from the start. I don't use it any more and plug it directly instead. Sorry I'm not much help.
16 Sep: ID3 Max in Moonstone Grey. BW 40 confirmed. ETA early Dec.
...lots of bad info and delays...
27 April: at port. ETA end of May.
Delivery ETA: 18 May!
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Are the phones in cases?
Have you tried putting them in the other way up?

But as above .. the wireless charging is not very good. I think Wireless charging needs the phone to sit in the exact position and not move around, so the set up in the ID.3 is on a hiding to nothing.
Jamie1c

Post by Jamie1c »

Quite disappointed to hear the wireless charging is pretty much useless. I've never had wireless charging in a car before so I'm missing nothing.

On another note, does it support wireless android auto?
Max pro (white)
East Derry wheels
Ordered the 20/08/21
Dealership- Arnold Clark
Status 10 (14/02/22)
Collected - 28/04/23
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Jamie1c wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:09 pm Quite disappointed to hear the wireless charging is pretty much useless. I've never had wireless charging in a car before so I'm missing nothing.

Wireless charging works fine with some cars and phones but not others. With many it seems to work but is either a bit slow and/or the phone gets hot after a while (this applies to my wife's iPhone and means she has taken to removing the case on long journeys). The usb socket is excellent for charging though, much faster than plugging my (pixel 4a) phone in at home.
Wireless android auto has been almost faultless for me for 14 months and there is no lag at all, it's excellent. However I have seen a couple of people online say they have had to use it with a wire. I don't know why, or how common this is.

I can't help the OP unfortunately, other than suggesting trying without the phone case if you haven't already. We haven't seen that error message.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Jamie1c

Post by Jamie1c »

sidehaas wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:48 pm
Jamie1c wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:09 pm Quite disappointed to hear the wireless charging is pretty much useless. I've never had wireless charging in a car before so I'm missing nothing.

Wireless charging works fine with some cars and phones but not others. With many it seems to work but is either a bit slow and/or the phone gets hot after a while (this applies to my wife's iPhone and means she has taken to removing the case on long journeys). The usb socket is excellent for charging though, much faster than plugging my (pixel 4a) phone in at home.
Wireless android auto has been almost faultless for me for 14 months and there is no lag at all, it's excellent. However I have seen a couple of people online say they have had to use it with a wire. I don't know why, or how common this is.

I can't help the OP unfortunately, other than suggesting trying without the phone case if you haven't already. We haven't seen that error message.
That's great to hear, cheers 👍
As far as wireless charging, I'd only really use that for long journeys but those are far and few between.
Max pro (white)
East Derry wheels
Ordered the 20/08/21
Dealership- Arnold Clark
Status 10 (14/02/22)
Collected - 28/04/23
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

The wireless charger is reported to be 5W(atts) if you are using AA or CP on a longish journey you may want to plug in to ensure some level of charge. Android Auto will use way more power than the cherger can deliver, but if it's cold is another sourcce of heat.
(I wait to be corrected)
nallalfc

Post by nallalfc »

G43FAN wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:55 pm Are the phones in cases?
Have you tried putting them in the other way up?

But as above .. the wireless charging is not very good. I think Wireless charging needs the phone to sit in the exact position and not move around, so the set up in the ID.3 is on a hiding to nothing.
Hi

none of the phones are in cases. I use the wireless charger in my Audi on a daily basis and never have a problem though that one is horizontal.
Seems a shame to have to use a cable when a wireless charger is installed but seemingley not fit for purpose.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Assumiong it's a positional/Movement thing, maybe an option here for someone with the necessary skills and tools to 3D print some phone holders to hold things in the right place? Or just stuff a tissue in the bottom of the holder.
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

Far, far away, in a distant memory of a test drive, I put my iPhone 8 plus with silicon case in and it started charging straight away. Not sure if this adds anything. I just want to be part of the gang I suppose.
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Our phones are in thick iPhone Pro Max fat boy covers.

They take charge but the system is rubbish, ventilation doesn’t exist and they constantly overheat in the summer.

A gimmick unfortunately.
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

My wife's iPhone 14 max is in a silicon case, but works OK. It recharged from about 10% to 30% in a short drive home this afternoon.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
nallalfc

Post by nallalfc »

I'm now wondering if the fact my phones are not in a case makes them more susceptible to moving in the charger and causing the error?
May try it with a thin silcon type case on the phone and see if it stops it.
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

nallalfc wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:08 pm I'm now wondering if the fact my phones are not in a case makes them more susceptible to moving in the charger and causing the error?
May try it with a thin silcon type case on the phone and see if it stops it.
Interesting to see if that makes a difference ...
I had heard about positioning as a possible issue.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
JOHNKAMIQ

Post by JOHNKAMIQ »

I have used it with iPhone 13 mini. I find it prefers one way up and anything in the adjacent slot causes the problem.
Midgex

Post by Midgex »

Works here. Pixel 6 in case.
The position isn't very critical - many chargers exist which are flat plates you just drop the phone onto.
For ventilation, I don't think anything prevents you tucking something in to increase the flow of air between phone and flap.