Remote locking

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Recently my key has failed to lock and/or unlock the car remotely.

For the failure to lock problem, I find that if I open the door, then press the "start ignition" button, then I can close the door and lock the car successfully.

For unlocking I have to use the physical key, this sets off the alarm. I then repeat the above routine in order to turn off the alarm.

Anyone else with the same problem? Has it been corrected?

TwyRob

Post by TwyRob »

This is going to sound very basic, please don't be offended!

Is it the same with both keys?

Have you changed the battery in the key?

Rob
Max Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise
Ordered 26/10/21
Delivered 21st April 2023
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Thank you for replying.
Sorry, I should have said. I tried the 'spare' key and found that it doesn't work at all. I tried synchronising the spare key with the car as described in the manual, and it had no effect. I don't want to try the synchronising with the 'working' key in case it stops working completely.
The manual says not to change the battery your self, so I have booked the car in to the dealer (I'm still under warranty). But I don't have a lot of faith with the dealer!
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

david@capelnoddfa wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:29 am Thank you for replying.
Sorry, I should have said. I tried the 'spare' key and found that it doesn't work at all. I tried synchronising the spare key with the car as described in the manual, and it had no effect. I don't want to try the synchronising with the 'working' key in case it stops working completely.
The manual says not to change the battery your self, so I have booked the car in to the dealer (I'm still under warranty). But I don't have a lot of faith with the dealer!
It does not need a trip to the dealer to change the key battery. It is soooooo..... easy. I think they will start telling us to take the car to the dealer to check the air in the tyres soon.
Goode

Post by Goode »

Timpsons on the High Street will change fob batteries
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Thank you for your replies. I finally worked up courage to check the batteries in the keys. Both showed low on power. I changed both, and all seems well now!
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

david@capelnoddfa wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:59 pm Thank you for your replies. I finally worked up courage to check the batteries in the keys. Both showed low on power. I changed both, and all seems well now!
Out of interest, how did you check that the keys had low power?
DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Sorry for late reply. I've just seen the question! I took the batteries out, and they are standard batteries, my battery tester showed that they were low on power.