1500 miles covered, new windscreen time

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
TwyRob

Post by TwyRob »

My windscreen cracked today. An hour after I signed up for Driverline.

Apparently, Driverline does glass. Does anyone have any experience? My insurer uses National Windscreens, who have appointments from 8th June. Next week in my week off would be better!

I might use a different company if they have any earlier appointments.

What experiences do you all have of windscreens on these? I know there are cases of iffy workmanship from national chains at times, I'm thinking more about the quality of the replacement screens.

Cheers,

Rob

IMG_20230524_184739.jpg

Max Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise
Ordered 26/10/21
Delivered 21st April 2023

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Ugh - that’s a pain. From the damage looks like a clear impact - perhaps unfortunately close to the edge where it’s possibly weaker.

I drive about 10-15k motorway miles every year (have done for last 20 or so) and it’s just a roll of the dice if it happens unfortunately.

I wouldn’t worry about the quality of an OEM windscreen - but I think the id ones have to be carefully aligned/sensors calibrated etc..

auto glass/autowindscreens have done good work for me in the past.
TwyRob

Post by TwyRob »

I have booked with national windscreens. My broker gave me 1yr free insurance and that is who they say to use.

Hopefully they do a good job! The crack has already grown, however I can do without the car after tomorrow until the appointment on 8th June if it gets too bad.
Max Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise
Ordered 26/10/21
Delivered 21st April 2023
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

I got a screen fitted by National Windscreens on my old iD.3, the fitting and calibration was fine, but it was a pattern part and when we had a really hot spell at the start of last summer the screen started to delamination.

It didn't have as much of a tint to it as the original screen either.
Last edited by Blackeunos on Mon May 29, 2023 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016-2021 - Nissan Leaf Tekna 24
Sept 21-Jul 22- VW ID.3 Life Pro Moonstone
July 22 on - Cupra Born V1, Vapor grey, Tech Pack L, 19" Typhoon alloys
Chris

Post by Chris »

Our replacement was autoglass but I’d say there must be a difference, really bad reflections from the dash now which I’d not noticed the last two summers