Air Con - Cooling

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Baggieman

Post by Baggieman »

Picked up car about a month ago. The hot weather just hits but the Air Con does not seem to be producing much cool air - is this just me or a 'fault' with Evs?
Family 58W Pro Performance
Kings Red

roybosh

Post by roybosh »

Hi, My Air Con puts out pretty cold air. I've not needed to use the max AC button, so far.
Temp set to LO, AC on, AUTO on. With AUTO off I can set the fan speed.
Family Pro Performance
Moonstone Grey, 18" Derry Alloys, Transport Hitch, Heat Pump
Ordered 31 October 2021
Build Date, December 2022, week 50
picked up 12/01/23 with software 3.2
Deleted User 1733

Post by Deleted User 1733 »

The A/C in mine is very cold when running the car in comfort it can get soo cold that moisture condenses on the outside of the windscreen, are you in ECO mode, this does restrict the AC Compressors energy consumption so if it's very hot you won't get the full benefit of maximum cooling power.
vanb

Post by vanb »

Baggieman wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:05 am Picked up car about a month ago. The hot weather just hits but the Air Con does not seem to be producing much cool air - is this just me or a 'fault' with Evs?
I agree with you. I’ve been putting it on LO but the air isn’t cold but warmish! I’ve had to open the windows which I normally don’t like doing. Usually the coolest place to be in weather like this is in the car - but not anymore in my ID.3. I wonder if it is to do with the model. Mine is Life Pro Performance 58 kWh. The people saying that they have cold air seem to have the more expensive models e.g. Family and Tour
vanb

Post by vanb »

Baggieman wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:05 am Picked up car about a month ago. The hot weather just hits but the Air Con does not seem to be producing much cool air - is this just me or a 'fault' with Evs?
Sorry, just seen that your’s is a Family too! So much for my theory.
T-SLOT

Post by T-SLOT »

Our A/C works fine and puts out very effective cooling (‘22 Life pro performance) but every so often it throws a wobble and doesn’t work at the settings we select. We’ve found that resetting the infotainment system by holding the on/off switch for 20 seconds or so does the trick. You can also try fiddling with the A/C settings (eg switching Max A/C on and off) to jolt the system into proper action. I appreciate this isn’t terribly scientific but it works for us on the odd (but not uncommon) occasion that the A/C doesn’t do what we ask it to do.

Great car but the software leaves much to be desired.
Life Pro Performance - Moonstone Grey
Ordered: 29 September 2021
Scheduled Delivery: 14 July 2022
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I've seen a couple of people complain about their A/C not being cold in the past. Both turned out to have a fault on their car that was fixed at the dealer. It's good when working normally.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
LongMynd

Post by LongMynd »

Mine is cold even on Eco. I think you are due to pay a visit to the dealers.
Charles.
ID.3 Tour with heat-pump
stevieboy

Post by stevieboy »

I have a Tour with the heat pump option and it can get really cold if you want it to in this weather. I just keep my temp set to 20.5 and it does the rest. The heat pump option uses CO2 as the refrigerant and this might be more efficient?
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Stone washed Blue | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | Wallbox Home Charger
Baggieman

Post by Baggieman »

Hi All

Many thanks for the great suggestions - will work through and update.
Kings Red
ksoni94

Post by ksoni94 »

I've also been experiencing the same. Particularly in warmer weather the car seems to be blowing our warm or room temp air so not actually cooling the car down at all. I tried to call local VW branches but all their phone numbers just divert to the general VW customer service centre? The first guy told me to get a AC recharge for £140 to which I said no because the car is only a year old. Then another guy said I should be covered under warranty so to just book it into the local garage. So I'll take the car to the garage in a couple of weeks and see what the outcome is. But not ideal as the weather warms up!
I.D 3 Family Pro - Order placed 26.07.21 - Picked up 20.02.22
Chris

Post by Chris »

Our car is two years old now and the AC wasn’t getting cold yesterday, rang the garage to add this to the service in a couple of weeks and was told that this isn’t covered under warranty and it’s £179 for an ID AC recharge!
vanb

Post by vanb »

Chris wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:47 am Our car is two years old now and the AC wasn’t getting cold yesterday, rang the garage to add this to the service in a couple of weeks and was told that this isn’t covered under warranty and it’s £179 for an ID AC recharge!
Oh no! Thank you for letting us know. I’ll give the dealer a ring and see what they say.
s9bl

Post by s9bl »

Had the same issue last month on my 2 month old ID.3. Fixed under warranty. Faulty valve or something
Max, Glacier White, MY23, Software 3.2
iD3:5

Post by iD3:5 »

Hi,

I resubscribed to reply to this thread.

Our iD3 had 3 complete aircon replacements in the 2.5 years we had it.

They will tell you it needs recharging
They will tell you there is a cost for it
They struggle to accept there is a problem

My recommendation would be that you nicely instruct the dealer to have the vents checked by cameras. Our dealer did this and showed us areas where misalignment resulted in a lack of pressure/air escape rendering the aircon ineffective.

I wish you luck, for sure it is covered by warranty.
vanb

Post by vanb »

iD3:5 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:35 pm Hi,

I resubscribed to reply to this thread.

Our iD3 had 3 complete aircon replacements in the 2.5 years we had it.

They will tell you it needs recharging
They will tell you there is a cost for it
They struggle to accept there is a problem

My recommendation would be that you nicely instruct the dealer to have the vents checked by cameras. Our dealer did this and showed us areas where misalignment resulted in a lack of pressure/air escape rendering the aircon ineffective.

I wish you luck, for sure it is covered by warranty.

Thank you.
Baggieman

Post by Baggieman »

Thanks all for the suggestions - have worked through them but no real success. So car booked in Thursday for initial check - will let all know how this progresses.
Kings Red
ksoni94

Post by ksoni94 »

Gave my car to the dealer today. The person checking my car in kindly informed me at my car is around the 3rd ID.3 they've had this week with the same air con issue 😬 seems like it might be fairly widespread
I.D 3 Family Pro - Order placed 26.07.21 - Picked up 20.02.22
Baggieman

Post by Baggieman »

Hi All

Thanks all for the messages - the car went to dealer on Tuesday and they reported that a valve in the Air Con was faulty and let the gas out - they replaced under warranty (about £30) and re-gassed. It seems to be working fine now - especially today when it was about 30C so fingers crossed!

It looks like the faulty valve is a common issue?
Kings Red