Oh Dear...

The place to discuss everything else..
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66310280

Fremantle Highway heading to Egypt apparently. This will fuel the anti EV campaigners nicely.

Kwr68

Post by Kwr68 »

G43FAN wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:47 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66310280

Fremantle Highway heading to Egypt apparently. This will fuel the anti EV campaigners nicely.
I’m sure if you are having dig at the bbc or the anti ev fraternity,it seems to have escaped you that some actually died
shire-dweller

Post by shire-dweller »

G43FAN wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:47 pm This will fuel the anti EV campaigners nicely.
Indeed. An article on Reuters reads:

“The coastguard said on its website that the cause of the fire was unknown, but a coastguard spokesperson had earlier told Reuters it began near an electric car. Roughly 25 out 2,857 vehicles on the ship were electric.“

Looking at the Dutch Coastguard website, their live blog has no mention of electric cars or any suggestions as to the cause of the fire, at the time of this writing.

To grant them the benefit of doubt, the coastguard spokesperson’s earlier point might not have been to imply that an electric car caused the fire, but simply that, having started elsewhere, the fire then reached electric cars whose batteries then served as further fuel and made it harder to bring the fire under control.

The same Reuters article adds:

“Earlier this month, two New Jersey firefighters were killed and five injured battling a blaze on a cargo ship carrying hundreds of vehicles. There were no electric cars on that vessel the operator said.“

How strange, this bit sounds as if electric cars are not the only possible cause of fires on cargo ships. Come to think of it, I wonder how fires anywhere were ever possible before electric cars existed. 🤔
Split £100 with me when you switch to Octopus: https://share.octopus.energy/snow-lark-143
Split £10 with me when you join Electroverse: https://electroverse.octopus.energy/sign-up/magic?referralCode=steel-crow-18264
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

As usual with a major catastrophe eveyone has a theory, no one has the facts.

Let's wait for the official enquiry to form a judgement.

Rob

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max
White with East Derry Alloys
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Kwr68 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:55 pm
G43FAN wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:47 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66310280

I’m sure if you are having dig at the bbc or the anti ev fraternity,it seems to have escaped you that some actually died
If you are goinig to have a go at me then please explain the relavance of your comment. I was fully aware that an individual had unfortunately lost their life although that news emerged later than the original story. I don't see anything in my post that is intended to cause any offence. So as I say, Pleae educate me?
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

Preliminary search has shown all 450+ EVs are intact, so fire unlikely to have been started by a car battery......however, just to be sure in case of mis-nfo best to wait for official enquiry.

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max
Midgex

Post by Midgex »

Boattrainman wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:25 pm Preliminary search has shown all 450+ EVs are intact, so fire unlikely to have been started by a car battery......however, just to be sure in case of mis-nfo best to wait for official enquiry.

Rob
Can you give a reference for that, please, to enlighten someone else?
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

Midgex, check out Elecdrive.com, and there are others reporting the same thing.

It seems fires caused by EV batteries are becoming part of the conspiracy landscape.

Rob

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max
Midgex

Post by Midgex »

Conspiracy landscape ...
I assumed it was routine PR by the people who promoted lung cancer and heart disease for the tobacco companies, global warming for the oil companies, and pestilence for background to both.
The bedrock of that landscape, perhaps.
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

2021 Pro Performance Max
Shahev

Post by Shahev »

Only partly related but Swedish Government report shows EVs less propensity to catch fire compared to ICE

https://www.thecooldown.com/green-tech/ ... ybrid-ban/
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

The truth is that EVs catch fire less often than ICE cars, but when they do the fire can be more violent and harder to put out.
This isn't a reason for or against buying one. It is a valid reason why EVs might (and sometimes should) be treated different from ICE in certain circumstances. Some ferry companies got a bad rep a while ago for separating EVs and making out they were a fire risk, but if what they actually meant was "we need to treat EVs differently because our existing fire safety systems can put out a petrol fire but not a lithium battery fire, so however unlikely it may be we want to provide better protection for our passengers by segregating them" (in some way, if it helps) then that's ok.
Different technologies have different pros and cons, unfortunately this doesn't lend itself well to click bait.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.