From ID.3 to IONIQ 5 - the ID.3 was great

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
smyth1492

Post by smyth1492 »

I have just traded up to an IONIQ 5 as we needed more space for our family and the ID.4, IMHO, is not as nice as the IONIQ 5 (or as big/wide) in the back.

There are lots of negative comments on this forum and other places about VW and the ID.3 and I wanted to leave with my thoughts which are mainly positive.

The ID.3 is a responsive handling fun car to drive
On version 3.0 and above the navigation app was excellent
Being able to display chargers on the map with charging speeds is a great idea
The number of settings across the car are limited which makes it easy to get up running
Build quality is high
Matrix headlights are absolutely superb, they will be the single biggest miss

And a few negative points.
no rear speakers - children were not happy
The software was just too damn slow and unresponsive The software would hang or crash on occasion
Voice control too hit and miss and far to slow for some thinga but could be brilliant for navigation
Capacity buttons on the steering wheel and under the display were a very stupid idea (why temp down resulted in temp up sometimes I just don't know)

VW's main letdown for me and why we did not buy the ID.4 (other than space) was
lack of confidence that VW would make the software as good as their competitors for our existing cars
Charging speed

I might buy another VW in the future and I have been a strong supporter on this forum of the ID.3 and all our family will miss it, however, VW need to take a look at what their competitors are doing - the IONIQ 5 is very very good
ID.3 Family Pro (May 22), Grey / East Derry alloys. Software 3.2. (2.4 dealer / 3.0 OTA / 3.1 dealer / 3.2 OTA).
PodPoint Solo charger / Car linked to Tronity for stats

DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

Nice! Enjoy the Ioniq5, it'll be hard not to from what I have seen on YouTube.
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

Great to get feedback, especially as a newbie to EVs and still getting to grips with the ID3.

I do think the majority of your negatives are related to the software issues, and for me these are minor niggles and don't effect the principal functions of the car which is to charge, drive and stop well, while being both comfortable and economical to run, and looking better than the herd.

I also think you are trading up, so a direct comparison between the ID3 and IONIQ 5 is perhaps unjust, a full spec IQ is touching 70 grand here in Ireland.

On a positive note, I've a mate with the Hyundai, and he's very impressed, but made the point that the 77kw version is a must given its size/weight.

Best of luck with the new car.

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max
White with East Derry Alloys
smyth1492

Post by smyth1492 »

Boattrainman wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:18 am Great to get feedback, especially as a newbie to EVs and still getting to grips with the ID3.

I do think the majority of your negatives are related to the software issues, and for me these are minor niggles and don't effect the principal functions of the car which is to charge, drive and stop well, while being both comfortable and economical to run, and looking better than the herd.

I also think you are trading up, so a direct comparison between the ID3 and IONIQ 5 is perhaps unjust, a full spec IQ is touching 70 grand here in Ireland.

On a positive note, I've a mate with the Hyundai, and he's very impressed, but made the point that the 77kw version is a must given its size/weight.

Best of luck with the new car.

Rob
I don't think I have compared the 2 cars and I was not aiming to do so. I very much liked the look of the ID.3 so agree with your thoughts here

I read a headline recently that car manufacturers are now being measured on the software and not the rest of the car and bearing in mind how much the software pays a part of the car, in the ID.3 a major part, getting it right is important. In 14 months of ID ownership my wife never changed the setting of the climate as there were no buttons (we are both in our 40's so to a certain extent we have grown up with technology).

On the way to collect the IONIQ 5 the ID.3 software had about 15+ minutes of restarting, crashing etc. The screen, which was clean, needed a wipe with the cloth and then all Ok. It was a desperate move after resetting the system 3 times myself.

As I said, great car but software needs some work but everyone should persist to get there cars updated to 3.2 as it is so much better.
ID.3 Family Pro (May 22), Grey / East Derry alloys. Software 3.2. (2.4 dealer / 3.0 OTA / 3.1 dealer / 3.2 OTA).
PodPoint Solo charger / Car linked to Tronity for stats
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Interested in slower time to hear your thoughts on pros/cons of the Ioniq 5 Vs ID3, even though one is obviously in the next class/size of car up. Ioniq 5 is probably the favourite to replace our remaining ICE once used prices drop far enough, but I have only test driven it for 45 minutes. There won't be many people around who have genuinely driven both as their main cars for a good while.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

We might have to agree to disagree a bit on the software issue. In fact, I think consumers are being hoodwinked a bit in that the 'traditional' aspects of car quality/performance are being buried under the whole 'app for everything' brigade.

Just to give one example, EVs are heavier than ICEs for obvious reasons, yet there is precious little on suspension specs and set ups to cope with this when being reviewed in the motoring press. This issue is vastly more pertinent to the cars performance and safety than if you can access the Internet Radio easily on the infotainment screen. I think this is also down to the number of car reviwers ignorant of basic car manufacture and design, hence an over emphasis on the cockpit/IT components.

Anyway, you've picked one of the best reviwed EVs out there in the IONIQ 5, enjoy the new car.

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max
White with East Derry Alloys
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

I made the same journey 12 months ago and have never regretted it . The car is not perfect but no car ever is , it only does over the air updates for the sat nav not the car and the handles are awkward ( they only pop out on the top of the range ) but it's a great car to drive and it's every bit as economical as my id3 was
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw