Electric Parking brake failure

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
webw06

Post by webw06 »

Was driving on the M4 on Saturday when suddenly the ID.3 reported multiple errors on the console and instrument cluster. At first I got a message for the Auto Hold, simply: Error: Auto Hold, which was then followed by another error stating 'Electric Parking Brakes Failed, Visit Workshop!'. The car console also warns me against parking the car on a slope and continually beeps if I attempt to drive it.

Called in VW Roadside assistance who have now got me expedited to drop off the car at the dealer. The same dealer was giving me a date in November to bring the car in!

TimF

Post by TimF »

Did the car actually seem to have no parking brake? That is, was the warning of no parking brake correct, or does it seem that there was a sensor which was inaccurately reporting that the brake wasn't working?
webw06

Post by webw06 »

Hard to say. I took the car to the dealer today, and the Master Tech's view was that the hydraulics were intact. The car is driveable, and will engage the parking break when I depress the button, but the instrument cluster just shows the (P) sign blinking. The car continually beeps loudly and warns me to visit the workshop (which I complied with!).

The Master Tech let it slip that VW really should have delayed the launch by one year. The 12v battery recall and the v3.2 updates have been nothing less than shambolic. The thing is, when the car drives, it drives really well. When it doesn't, and it needs a visit to the dealer, you can kiss the car goodbye for at least 2 weeks.

I am really tempted by the Volvo EX30 and am considering selling my Max after this episode. The EX30 is a similar size as the ID.3, in a similar price range, but the lack of a driver side instrument panel nor a HUD means that car is a deal-breaker for me. Feature-by-feature, the Max is hard to beat at this time in my opinion, but the reliability of the ID.3 is really making it hard to keep this car now.
webw06

Post by webw06 »

Turns out that the left parking brake motor failed on my car. The repair will be carried out under warranty. Out of warranty, this would have set me back by £800. It's concerning that a 2 year old car has such quality control issues.
TimF

Post by TimF »

I wonder just how many electric motors and electrical connectors there are in this car? Fifty years ago, a lot of cars had only three electric motors: starter, wipers, ventilation blower (a couple of decades before that and at least one of those would have been an optional extra). And sometimes only two fuses - one for ignition-switched, one for non-ignition switched. Multiply the reliability rate (which I hope is extremely low) by the number of items subject to that unreliability, and the result may be non-trivial! And full-tank range was often under 250 miles, but I don't remember range anxiety being a thing.
webw06

Post by webw06 »

Having had the part replaced, the dealer called me yesterday requesting the car to be dropped off again for a minor software update for the (replaced) parking motor brake, which I did promptly yesterday.

Agree @TimF. I wouldn't advise anyone owning the early models of the ID.3 without a warranty extension after the manufacturer's warranty runs out!