Charging apps

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Hi

My energy supplier is Ovo.
Ovo have their own cheap EV rates (Ovo anytime). It has its own app.

My new charger, an Ohme Pro fitted yesterday, has an app too. So, do people on here use their energy app or charger app to charge their cars?

Thanks

Rob
Id.3 Launch edition 3
Moonstone Grey
Ohme home pro

Kwr68

Post by Kwr68 »

I have a Zappi do my home charging using solar i do that with the Zappi app
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

Dermottdog wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:34 pm Hi

My energy supplier is Ovo.
Ovo have their own cheap EV rates (Ovo anytime). It has its own app.

My new charger, an Ohme Pro fitted yesterday, has an app too. So, do people on here use their energy app or charger app to charge their cars?

Thanks

Rob
Hello there,
I'm an OVO customer with an Indra charger. I use the charger app to set the schedule and I'd imagine it'll be the same for you.
Edited to add that the Indra engineer who installed my charger said that you can charge at any time using the Boost button on the app but to qualify for the OVO Anytime rate you will have to set up a schedule in the app. Sidehaas' comments about checking for yourself are wise words though!
Last edited by StuartT on Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glacier white, Life Pro. August 2021
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

On most tariffs you can use either the car or charger. I also have an Ohme Pro, and I prefer to schedule via the car with the Ohme smart features all turned off. However, when the car was on older software I used to schedule through the Ohme instead and it still worked. The interface in the Ohme app is just a bit rubbish (IMO) and it used to prompt error messages from the car.

However if you are on one of a small number of special intelligent tariffs then you will need to follow instructions of your energy supplier and not the advice of anyone else. For example on Octopus Intelligent you must set instructions through the Octopus app, and Octopus remotely set a schedule via the car. You don't set any schedules yourself in either the car or charger. I don't know if Ovo Anytime is similar?
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

sidehaas wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:09 am On most tariffs you can use either the car or charger. I also have an Ohme Pro, and I prefer to schedule via the car with the Ohme smart features all turned off. However, when the car was on older software I used to schedule through the Ohme instead and it still worked. The interface in the Ohme app is just a bit rubbish (IMO) and it used to prompt error messages from the car.

However if you are on one of a small number of special intelligent tariffs then you will need to follow instructions of your energy supplier and not the advice of anyone else. For example on Octopus Intelligent you must set instructions through the Octopus app, and Octopus remotely set a schedule via the car. You don't set any schedules yourself in either the car or charger. I don't know if Ovo Anytime is similar?
Thanks. The car did charge eventually. I stupidly decided to delete the anytime app (at about 2.00 in the morning) because I thought there might be a conflict because I was getting lots of emails from the car telling me that the car has started charging and stopped charging. In truth, it hadn’t done anything. The car was due to start charging, via the Ohme app, at about 02.45. I woke up at 03.00 am to find the charger app reporting that there was a problem. I reinstalled the anytime app and the car started to charge.
Some more information and fine tuning is required.
Id.3 Launch edition 3
Moonstone Grey
Ohme home pro
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

You need to avoid conflicts between the different systems. You should only use one. Important to understand, is that if there are no schedules set anywhere and you plug in, the car will charge immediately until it reaches the limit set in the car. The default is "on". The smart schedules all effectively work by preventing charging for the relevant time period, not by actively allowing it for the relevant time period. Therefore, if you have multiple different smart schedules from the charger, the car or your OVO app, there is a risk that they prevent each other from charging the car as expected. This will sometimes cause an error and just cancel the whole charge.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.