Ohme Pro, No Power, circuit breaker tripped

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Mark55

Post by Mark55 »

Hi.
Our 2 month old Ohme Pro just died.
The circuit breaker tripped and will not reset. Contacted Ohme support asked to take photos of the entire instillation and a video of the circuit breaker not re-setting.
Got back to me late the next day "re-visit is required to investigate and possibly replace the breaker".
So will be without a home charger for at least 6 days or more.
Charging now via the local Tesco 50 KW AT £00.62p KWh, ouch used to £00.075p KWh over night.

I did not think I would need a backup for the charger.
So what would you guys suggest:
Thinking of 32Amp Commando setup.
A 32 Amp 230V 3 Pin Interlock Socket Switched 2P+E Single Phase
Plus a EV Charger Type 2,Electric Vehicle charger ,10A/16A /20A /24A/ 32A Adjustable,CEE Plug,7.2KW Portable Electric Vehicle Charging Cable,Typ 2 IEC 62196-2 (5m).
I can use the Octopus Intelligent app to control the car.
Or should I go with a much slower set up with a 3 pin plug charger running around 10amps which would cost a bit less.
Thanks
ID.3 Max Pro Performance ordered September 2021.
Glacier White Metallic Flat black
Delivered May 2023. Running 3.2
Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/dusky-quail-943

Splash-Man

Post by Splash-Man »

Depends on how often you need to charge the car.
I went with a granny charger as a back up as I can take this with me on holiday trips etc and it can be used anywhere.
Clearly if you need to put a lot of charge in the car on a daily basis it's really workable.
2023 Facelift 77kWh Pro S Costa Azule
18/9/23 Order placed
15/12/23 Collection day count down !
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

It all sounds a bit expensive, personally I wouldn't install a backup, just get the Ohme fixed. You shouldn't need two chargers. By all means buy a granny if you'll make good use of it, but not for just at home.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
MattgID3

Post by MattgID3 »

Probably just a bad breaker and will be fine after. Agree with others that the cost of a backup isn't worth it as it would take months/years to make your money back. I had teething issues with my hypervolt post install but it has been rock solid ever since.
Id3 family pro
Stonewash blue
Ordered 8/8/21
was Eta 17th jan 23
Delivery 14th DEC 2022
Build week 40 confirmed

Location South Gloucestershire
Mark55

Post by Mark55 »

Finally got a date for a home visit to repair.
Will be 26 days without a working charger.
BinMan

Post by BinMan »

Using a granny charger the battery SoC% in 62kWh ID3 will increase approximately 3.5% per hour so long charges required for anything significant.

A second and faster charging solution at home isn’t always an economic decision and more a convenience / insurance one.

However depending on your usage the public charging costs alone could soon tally up and that’s assuming it’s fixed on the first visit.
Mark55

Post by Mark55 »

I asked how come Ohme it was going to take so long to undertake warranty work on a 2 month installation. Reply was " Unfortunately, we do not control the schedules of the installers, and this will be the earliest date they have available for the re visit".
I wonder if the "installers" get paid more for an install, than a service call?