Software future

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
MattgID3

Post by MattgID3 »

So I understand that some people are still stuck on older software which is crazy but is it me or is the whole id3 software scene stagnant currently? It doesn't seem to have progessed at all over the last year with the store still showing the same 3 apps and no progress since 3.2.
It's not helped by the lack of a road map that im aware of.

Does anyone know if any further updates are in the pipeline or do we think that vw leaving it at 3.2?
Last edited by MattgID3 on Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Id3 family pro
Stonewash blue
Ordered 8/8/21
was Eta 17th jan 23
Delivery 14th DEC 2022
Build week 40 confirmed

Location South Gloucestershire

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I don't think there has been any concrete info. I think it would be surprising if they didn't update cars to 3.5 OTA once the 3.2 programme is mostly done with, but that doesn't bring a huge amount of change anyway. Their focus has obviously been on developing the new software upgrades for the new cars and it's not clear which if any of those we'll get.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Nerdy

Post by Nerdy »

Current software is a dead end as I understand

The future is Android based (but not Android Automotive or with Google Apps)
MattgID3

Post by MattgID3 »

Nerdy wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:52 pm Current software is a dead end as I understand

Question is though will that be for all cars or just new ones. Very disappointing if just new models as software does take a lot away from an otherwise very good car.
Id3 family pro
Stonewash blue
Ordered 8/8/21
was Eta 17th jan 23
Delivery 14th DEC 2022
Build week 40 confirmed

Location South Gloucestershire
Nerdy

Post by Nerdy »

Older cars and current cars wirh 3.xx will end with 3.××

Older cars like mine (First Edition) probably should count 3.2 as the last major update
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Nerdy wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:52 pm Current software is a dead end as I understand

I'm not sure where you get this from? The new software (4.x) has already been shown in press cars and looks like an improved version of the current software but much snappier and with a pre heating function. The hardware is also slightly improved (eg backlit slider controls, and the orientation of the haptics being more intuitive). It has nothing to do with Android (other than the ability to use Android Auto like the current software can).

No one has said the current software is a dead end. It might be. What we do know is that current cars will not get 4.x.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

I hope Android for cars is better than Android in my TV.

The VW is not very good and if another driver has used the car, then it has limited functions.
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

DumfriesDik wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:35 am I hope Android for cars is better than Android in my TV.

The VW is not very good and if another driver has used the car, then it has limited functions.
It is best not to use multiple user profiles. The reduced functionality is by design. You get it all back when the primary user logs back in.
Nerdy

Post by Nerdy »

DumfriesDik wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:35 am I hope Android for cars is better than Android in my TV.

There is Android and there is Android. So yes it would depend on VWs implementation.

Very happy with my NVIDIA Shield and Chromecast with Google TV. I have seen a Sony TV with Android and it was slow and awful.

I must say, version 4.x looks good and slicker than anything 2.x and 3.x (never experienced 1.x)