(Yet another) Intelligent Octopus sign-up question

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
CoalPorter

Post by CoalPorter »

Trying again get IO set up… As far as I can see I have all the known prerequisites in place:

3.2 software - check
WeConnect app installed- check
WeConnect Plus app installed- check
Charging location set up with no timers - check (is it necessary to give this a specific name?)
Loads of permissions set in app Privacy section (everything except Automatic Service Scheduling and Internet Radio) - check

I had the whole thing apparently connected up but when trying to initiate the test charge always got the dreaded “uh oh, something went wrong” message. Checked, rechecked and rechecked so many times the ID/VW app config and couldn’t see anything wrong.

Today I finally spotted how to clean out the Octopus side of it and reconnected and gave permissions, picked the car (from a list of one!), then it’s now stuck saying “We were unable to get your information”. (Huh, you just connected through with my credentials? And got the vehicle details, even showed the VIN?). Anyway, tapped Retry, since when it’s been on a spinny for the last quarter hour or so…

Any suggestions welcome (don’t really want to spend half a morning waiting for Octopus to pick up the phone 😉)

Nerdy

Post by Nerdy »

I did not set up charging location.

I DID reset the car prior to 3.2 and it worked the first time

(Can you see location of the car on the phone App?)

If you are on Android, suggest clear cache and data of the app and login again
steviebabes

Post by steviebabes »

It is important to set a location and name it, I used 'home'. If you are not in a great signal area but your WiFi is strong add that to the car too. If you have a smart charger make sure it's set to dumb mode. My test charge took a couple of goes but has worked faultlessly since July. If your VW app is fully functional then there is no reason why Octopus wont be getting the same information when you plug in to charge.
ID3 Life Pro Performance Glacier White Andoya 19in Alloys
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

steviebabes wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:01 am It is important to set a location and name it, I used 'home'. If you are not in a great signal area but your WiFi is strong add that to the car too. If you have a smart charger make sure it's set to dumb mode. My test charge took a couple of goes but has worked faultlessly since July. If your VW app is fully functional then there is no reason why Octopus wont be getting the same information when you plug in to charge.
My ID3 has no locations set and IO works fine. In fact I thought I read somewhere on the Octopus website, that all locations should be deleted from the car, as a prerequisite for using IO.
steviebabes

Post by steviebabes »

If you don't set and name a location in the car when you go to another location to charge, ie public charger, Octopus would trigger a charging schedule for you. You are correct that Octopus say to delete all other locations except your home one.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

steviebabes wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:52 pm If you don't set and name a location in the car when you go to another location to charge, ie public charger, Octopus would trigger a charging schedule for you. You are correct that Octopus say to delete all other locations except your home one.
I must admit I didn’t check, but I have done quite a few public charges (abroad) and didn’t notice any schedule being created. But what you say makes some sense.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Scratch wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:59 pm
steviebabes wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:52 pm If you don't set and name a location in the car when you go to another location to charge, ie public charger, Octopus would trigger a charging schedule for you. You are correct that Octopus say to delete all other locations except your home one.
I must admit I didn’t check, but I have done quite a few public charges (abroad) and didn’t notice any schedule being created. But what you say makes some sense.
This has been bugging me about the location setting. It seems that it may be the test charge, when you first sign up for IO, that sets the location of the car. So when you subsequently plug in to charge, once on IO, Octopus checks if the location is the same as the initial test charge, and if so, it creates a schedule. If it isn’t the same location as the test charge, it does nothing.
I seem to remember when I first signed up to IO, that they said that if you move house, then you have to go through the same setup process again, in order to set a new IO location.
steviebabes

Post by steviebabes »

Yes, that makes sense, but not really any reason to delete the location unless you move home. The OP is about signing up to IO hence my advice to set and name a location.
CoalPorter

Post by CoalPorter »

Thanks everyone.

It seems I have finally arrived, via some combination of persistence, selecting my car as a 2020-21 model (it is - and was discovered as - a 2022 model year example, one of the first made in 2021), deleting the existing charging location in the car, and switching to 4G (turning off WiFi) before initiating the test charge (I had tried this trick before as others have reported success with it). Woohoo! 😊