Has anyone tried Plug and Charge?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
GeoffP

Post by GeoffP »

Off to the continent this weekend so googling around on the latest regarding charging. I don't charge very often away from home but my preferred app is Electroverse as I am an Octopus customer, have the Electroverse app and the card if necessary. Anyway, just stumbled across this, actually from April
https://octopus.energy/press/octopus-el ... -uk-first/
What it basically says is that ID3 owners (software 3.2) can rock up to an IONITY charge point, plug in, and don't have to do anything else. It just charges, no app, no card required.
My first stop at the weekend was going to be the IONITY point at Cobham services. So does it work??
Thanks in advance.
Geoff
ID.3 Family Pro Performance
Moonstone Grey
Breeze Poole Order date 11/11/21
VW Order number 3154XXXX provided 04/01/22
Worse predicted build Wk14 2023
Came in to a confirmed build Wk3
Collected Monday 27th Feb 2023

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I haven't yet but I know some people have. Follow the instructions and see if it says it has set up successfully. If you arrive at the charger, plug in and nothing happens, you should still be able to use RFID or app.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

Which instructions are you referring to? Where can they be found please?
GeoffP

Post by GeoffP »

From the Electroverse website,
https://electroverse.octopus.energy/com ... and-charge

I just registered and got the certificate installed in the car via the WeConnect app. All done without any problems in a minute or two.
Moonstone Grey
AlistairL

Post by AlistairL »

I've used it with WeCharge on three different Ionity Chargers (Perth, Polmadie and Alwnick) and the point is that it should support different eMobility providers.
ID.3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White & East Derry Wheels
Ordered 17th March 2022
Build Week 10
Collected from Western Volkswagen Fort Kinnaird on 01 April 2023
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Yes. Works for me. Used it in the UK in the summer and in France on October. Took me too attempts to get the certificate registered in the app - but I think I wasn’t folllowing the Electroverse instructions correctly.

Where people have had issues is that it seems you can’t have two accounts accessing plug and charge (eg Electroverse and Eli). But that may have changed.
simonmaskell

Post by simonmaskell »

You can only have one certificate registered at one time on the car but you can put two certificates in the app and then switch between the two. You won’t see it in the car as an option until you register the certificate in the app.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

GeoffP wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:30 pm From the Electroverse website,

I just registered and got the certificate installed in the car via the WeConnect app. All done without any problems in a minute or two.
Thanks.
I have tried registering my car but Electroverse gives me a message saying it looks like my car has already been added. It's a brand new car I have only had three weeks. I don't remember adding it before and they certainly haven't sent me a certificate.
Any ideas anyone? I can't see a way to contact Electroverse to sort it out either. Anyone know their email or phone number?
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

AlistairL wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:47 pm I've used it with WeCharge on three different Ionity Chargers (Perth, Polmadie and Alwnick) and the point is that it should support different eMobility providers.
That's great. Do you know if it works with the free WeCharge subscription or if you have to have one of the paid ones?
I have the free subscription and can't see any way to set it up for plug and charge in the VW app.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

Sherlock wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:29 am
GeoffP wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:30 pm From the Electroverse website,

Thanks.
I have tried registering my car but Electroverse gives me a message saying it looks like my car has already been added. It's a brand new car I have only had three weeks. I don't remember adding it before and they certainly haven't sent me a certificate.
Any ideas anyone? I can't see a way to contact Electroverse to sort it out either. Anyone know their email or phone number?
Update - i have found an email address now - hello@theelectroverse.com - I will see if they can help me.
g320y

Post by g320y »

I had exactly the same issue with "car already registered" a few weeks ago with my brand new ID3 when trying to register using the registration number. The Electroverse helpdesk suggested using the VIN instead which worked just fine. Haven't been by a ionity charger to try but the plug and play certificate is showing as installed in the VW app.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I’ve used plug and charge in the UK, Netherlands and Germany. It works well - mostly. One charger in Germany didn’t recognise it, but it did recognise the Electroverse card. I wish this could be rolled out to more than Ionity, we would then be in the same ball park as those Tesla drivers.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

g320y wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:23 am I had exactly the same issue with "car already registered" a few weeks ago with my brand new ID3 when trying to register using the registration number. The Electroverse helpdesk suggested using the VIN instead which worked just fine. Haven't been by a ionity charger to try but the plug and play certificate is showing as installed in the VW app.
Ah thank you. I have used the VIN and now have a certificate! Very grateful.
g320y

Post by g320y »

Brilliant - glad it worked. Let us all know how you get on.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I have also just set up plug n charge with Electroverse. It appears to be fully enabled in both car and app but I haven't tested it yet.
It didn't work for me putting my car reg into the Electroverse website. It didn't say 'car already registered' like some people above, but I got an unknown error. However when I put my VIN in it said it had worked. It said they (Octopus) would email me when it was ready to install...they didn't, but a link in the VW app became available shortly afterwards allowing me to install a 3rd party plug n charge certificate.
Note my car is nearly 2 years old and recently had the 3.2 update, it's not new like some above.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

I run mine through Electroverse. Only used it 3 times as Ionity are not on route with all my trips.
It worked at Ionity Perth but failed to work at Ionity Carlisle on two occasions.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

Newfie wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:57 pm failed to work at Ionity Carlisle on two occasions.
Oh no. I was going to try it at Carlisle on my next trip - have you (or anyone else) tried Gretna services?
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

DumfriesDik wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:03 pm
Newfie wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:57 pm failed to work at Ionity Carlisle on two occasions.
Oh no. I was going to try it at Carlisle on my next trip - have you (or anyone else) tried Gretna services?
I used a Gretna IONITY charger, albeit some months ago and the card readers on the chargers didn’t work. I had to start the charge via their app on my phone. Maybe plug and charge has been activated by now. Perhaps others will know the answer to that.
GeoffP

Post by GeoffP »

So, am I to understand that if I am already set up with the Electroverse Plug & Charge certificate installed in the car, which went seamlessly yesterday evening, that I shouldn't try and install the We Charge by Elli certificate? I did start to do this, and it went a lot slower than Electroverse, and I am at the stage "Ready for Installation" as shown in the app. I haven't clicked the "Install" button because I was unsure as to if I turn up at an IONITY charger as to which certificate it will be wanting to present.
Moonstone Grey
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Correct - if you want to use Ionity via Electroverse…