ID.3 58 KW range

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
arnaldocardoso

Post by arnaldocardoso »

HI to all!

For the ID.3 58 KW, theoretically, for a range of 400 km it should make an average of 58 / 4 = 14.5 KWh/100km, correct?

Does it mean battery degradation if for a range of 400 KM the average has to be less than 14.5 KWh/100km?

thank you
Arnaldo

StuartT

Post by StuartT »

arnaldocardoso wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:01 pm HI to all!

For the ID.3 58 KW, theoretically, for a range of 400 km it should make an average of 58 / 4 = 14.5 KWh/100km, correct?

Does it mean battery degradation if for a range of 400 KM the average has to be less than 14.5 KWh/100km?

thank you
Arnaldo

The thing that affects the range the most, in my experience, is the weather. Wind, rain and temperature affect the range greatly and your summer average will be a lot better than your winter average. I've noticed about a 20% difference between summer and winter and all I can say is that you'll understand the car/range much better, after running it over the course of a year. Also, as with fuel consumption in an ICE car, everyone's driving style is individual and brings different figures!
Cheers
Glacier white, Life Pro. August 2021
arnaldocardoso

Post by arnaldocardoso »

Yes, i agree, but the weather influence on average consumption. I am I'm focused on average consumption, is greater or lesser depending on environmental conditions.
theoretically, for a range of 400 km it should make an average of 14.5 KWh/100km my point is the following, if to do 400 km you need an average of e.g. 13 KWh/100km, This means battery degradation?
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

arnaldocardoso wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:51 pm Yes, i agree, but the weather influence on average consumption. I am I'm focused on average consumption, is greater or lesser depending on environmental conditions.
theoretically, for a range of 400 km it should make an average of 14.5 KWh/100km my point is the following, if to do 400 km you need an average of e.g. 13 KWh/100km, This means battery degradation?
Not necessarily.
You would expect some battery degradation once the car is a few months old but there are other reasons.
Firstly the car doesn't actually seem to start with 58kwh usable between 100% and 0%, some of this is definitely below 0%, some might also be above 100%. At the bottom end you can use some below zero if you want to push it, but only in good temperatures. Most people seem to start with 55-56kwh from 100-0%.
Secondly if you are using the GOM it's garbage for this purpose, don't try to do any calculations like this unless you have done a journey from 100% to close to 0% to measure it (without using the heating during any stops) and used your since start consumption for the journey to back calculate kwh from the range.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
arnaldocardoso

Post by arnaldocardoso »

thank you!
Googs

Post by Googs »

Official VW range "guide" for ID3 is here:
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/electri ... lator.html

Those with battery issues, like me this will be approx 50 miles less than what is being advised.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Googs wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:57 pm Official VW range "guide" for ID3 is here:
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/electri ... lator.html

Those with battery issues, like me this will be approx 50 miles less than what is being advised.
I guess that calculator is only somewhere near accurate for a brand new battery? It doesn’t take into account any degradation.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I find the guide on the EV database pretty spot on.

https://ev-database.org/uk/car/1202/Volkswagen-ID3-Pro

Real Range
between 155 - 320 mi
City - Cold Weather 210 mi
Highway - Cold Weather 155 mi
Combined - Cold Weather 180 mi
City - Mild Weather 320 mi
Highway - Mild Weather 200 mi
Combined - Mild Weather 250 mi

Indication of real-world range in several situations. Cold weather: 'worst-case' based on -10°C and use of heating. Mild weather: 'best-case' based on 23°C and no use of A/C. For 'Highway' figures a constant speed of 70 mph is assumed. The actual range will depend on speed, style of driving, weather and route conditions.
Gwyver

Post by Gwyver »

MotMot wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:04 pm I find the guide on the EV database pretty spot on.

https://ev-database.org/uk/car/1202/Volkswagen-ID3-Pro
Indication of real-world range in several situations. Cold weather: 'worst-case' based on -10°C and use of heating. Mild weather: 'best-case' based on 23°C and no use of A/C. For 'Highway' figures a constant speed of 70 mph is assumed. The actual range will depend on speed, style of driving, weather and route conditions.
I've just got back from a 300mile trip up & down the M6/M5 this weekend. It was noticeable that (once the displayed Miles/KWH has stabilised) there was a significant change from driving with the ACC at 68 mph to driving (similarly) at 70 mph (from 4.1 => 3.9). This shows what a major factor air-resistance is at higher speeds.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Near summer range with the high temps this weekend!
MattgID3

Post by MattgID3 »

Speed and heating are range killers on motorway, if you can bear it turn off heating and drop behind lorry at 60mph or just under and you can hit summer range even on cold days. Just wrap up warm.
Id3 family pro
Stonewash blue
Ordered 8/8/21
was Eta 17th jan 23
Delivery 14th DEC 2022
Build week 40 confirmed

Location South Gloucestershire
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

MattgID3 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:30 am Speed and heating are range killers on motorway, if you can bear it turn off heating and drop behind lorry at 60mph or just under and you can hit summer range even on cold days. Just wrap up warm.
I'd politely disagree wrt heating. In my 2.5 years of ID3-ing I've come to the conclusion that on Motorways / longtrips it makes very little difference. Sitting behind a truck at 56mph makes a huge difference to consumption over 70mph - but the heater overhead once the car is warmed up (inside) is very little 1-2kw drain (compared to 20-25kw doing 70mph..). On lots of small journeys with say an hour or more break in between will use a great deal of heater kwh vs consumption from the motor (lower on start stop runs) - this ratio changes considerably on a long haul.

Temps below 5 degrees, headwinds (in effect the same as speed) and for me unexpectedly rain all kill range.. Hills too of course - but what comes up must come down so they tend to even out!
duckworthsj

Post by duckworthsj »

From our experience, as someone else has said, the biggest impacts are: outside temperature; wind direction; and your speed. Now with average daytime the temperature around 3-6C the consumption is high. Also in summer at more 35C we get a similar impact! (ignoring air con). Just as with ICE, the range figure is for guidance, and is based on your driving history.

However I disagree with the 14KW per 100km. This is too low. 18KW per 100km is a more realistic figure. This is the figure used by applications such as ChargeMap to calculate you charging stops. Even my Mini SE only gets 15,4KW/ 100KW average, and that is approx 300kg lighter
Hers: ID3 204ch Pro Performance Denim Blue Black Roof. East Derry alloys, Pack Comfort Plus, Pack Assistance Plus.
His: Mini Cooper S-Electric 184ch ‘Yours’ (UK Level 3) Chili Red, Black Pack, Heat Reflective Windows… And lots of fun
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

The ~14kwh per 100km just the wltp consumption so pretty meaningless.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.