New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Sdotk

Post by Sdotk »

Hi all,

I’ve been browsing the forum for a couple of days from the “outside” and thought I’d better join in properly.

Received our facelift ID.3 Pro a week ago, coming from a Zoe and short lived MG4, this is our third EV. So far so good, has a few… quirks but we knew about those already.

Looking forward to picking up more tips and tricks from this forum over the next few years!

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Sdotk wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:08 am Hi all,

I’ve been browsing the forum for a couple of days from the “outside” and thought I’d better join in properly.

Received our facelift ID.3 Pro a week ago, coming from a Zoe and short lived MG4, this is our third EV. So far so good, has a few… quirks but we knew about those already.

Looking forward to picking up more tips and tricks from this forum over the next few years!
"short lived MG4,”? May I ask why that was? And welcome to the forum. There are some really knowledgeable people on here who are willing to help with queries.
Mo1

Post by Mo1 »

Hi and welcome,
I have owned my iD3 for two years and like you came from owning Zoe's (3 of) got to say the iD3 built and reliability is on another level.
Hope you enjoy your iD3 as much as I do 27000 miles in.
iD3 Tour 77kWh, White 73 Plate.
Octopus energy £50 referral https://share.octopus.energy/ashen-mule-519

Octopus Juice £5 referral https://electricjuice.octopus.energy/network/sign-up?referralCode=ashen-mule-519
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

7 months in, and the car is as fresh as the day I picked it up.

90% of the quirks discussed here are software related, hopefully you've got a good one, not a 'Friday' car with more serious flaws.

Enjoy!
2021 Pro Performance Max
White with East Derry Alloys
Sdotk

Post by Sdotk »

I'll try to keep my response to one post rather than replying individually, so here goes...

The MG4 was short-lived as it was written off when I was involved in a relatively (to my eyes anyway) small accident that caused nothing more than bodywork and front suspension damage. The car was 8 days old and only had ~300 miles on it. I was genuinely shocked it was written off! I would've loved to have been able to give you all a comparison against the VW but as you can appreciate I barely had any time with it. Our car is white, I did want the car in Moonstone but NHS fleet didn't have any stock at the time of ordering. Sod's law as soon as it was all greenlit they had all the colours available again. Having now had the car in the metal, the contrasts of the roof, wheels and revised front bumper work really well in white.

One very obvious thing - despite the MG being a fair bit larger than the Zoe, the ID is even more of a Tardis! The VW also feels quicker off the mark but I seem to recall the MG having slightly sportier handling? The ID is very comfortable compared to both previous EVs, very refined and quiet with very little wind noise in the cabin even at speed.

I had a seamless experience with the Zoe but yes, the build quality in this car is significantly better - the Zoe was just a can with a motor stuck on. This and the MG feel like proper cars, of course, the VW more so. I've had no experience of the pre-facelift but YouTube reliably informs me that the facelift sorts out many of the shortcomings of the original car. Ideally, I would've waited for the facelift 2.0 but we needed a car ASAP so beggars can't be choosers.

What are the more serious flaws of a 'Friday' car? Just so I know what to look out for?

Another quick question, is there an app that supports this forum? I'm not very good at remembering to log in to websites and don't want to be a member that only contributes when there's an issue.
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

If you scroll through the last few pages, you'll see some owners with stuff like jammed charging door locks, moisture ingress into lights, non functioning buttons etc. these are very rare faults and could be considered to be on 'Friday' cars.

I also have a white ID3, so concur that the white with black/grey accents looks better than some of the darker colour schemes, but horses for courses.

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max
Sdotk

Post by Sdotk »

Boattrainman wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:10 pm If you scroll through the last few pages, you'll see some owners with stuff like jammed charging door locks, moisture ingress into lights, non functioning buttons etc. these are very rare faults and could be considered to be on 'Friday' cars.

I also have a white ID3, so concur that the white with black/grey accents looks better than some of the darker colour schemes, but horses for courses.

Rob
Thank you, I'll keep an eye out. Are these possibly pre-facelift issues that have since been rectified?
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

I don't know to be honest, I'm just grateful I don't seem to have any issues with my 2021 car. I think you need to see this forum (and it is one of the very best in my view) as a place for those with car issues to vent their frustration, share experiences and hopefully get some useful advice. As such, it veers towards confirmation bias of negative experiences, so I don't think you should over think the purchase, I've spoken to plenty of ID3 owners who never use the forum and have no probs with their cars.

Best of luck with the purchase.

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max
Sdotk

Post by Sdotk »

I agree with your stance on forums, they are generally where the bad experiences are amplified. Not often that people post good things as we (rightfully) take them as a given.

I have peace of mind as the car is on a lease via work so all costs are covered but as a 'car guy' (I was going to go with petrolhead but don't think that works on this forum lol), I like to treat leased cars as my own regardless of knowing it'll be going back someday.