ABS/Harsh Braking at Parking Speeds

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Bfarr

Post by Bfarr »

Anyone else had this?

Intermittently, but relatively frequently when coming to a halt and driving at very low speed the ABS or emergency braking will kick in causing the car to come to a very sudden or juddering halt.
It’s only started happening in the past couple of months and there’s no pattern to it that’s noticeable but it’s definitely becoming more frequent. Frustratingly, I’ve taken it to the dealer a couple of times and they’ve been unable to identify the fault and I’ve not been able to recreate it when I’ve been out on a road test with them. When it does happen it’s extremely irritating- my wife thinks I’ve become a terrible driver.

Any thoughts/suggestions? I’m tearing my hair out and it’s really affecting my enjoyment of the car.

Thanks

DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

I have experienced something similar with self parking activated. It starts, moves a foot and then bam, full brakes. So I don't use that feature so much now as I can not work out what triggers it. I wonder if you can take the auto brake feature off?
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

These symptoms are normally caused by auto hold activating when you are going very slowly, rather than by the emergency braking system. Turn off auto hold when you are manoeuvring and see if it helps. You can add autohold on/off to the drop down shortcut menu in the infotainment, if it isn't there already.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Mo1

Post by Mo1 »

I accidentally found that if you don't fully close the drivers door, just latch it, that stops it slamming on the brakes.
iD3 Tour 77kWh, White 73 Plate.
Octopus energy £50 referral https://share.octopus.energy/ashen-mule-519

Octopus Juice £5 referral https://electricjuice.octopus.energy/network/sign-up?referralCode=ashen-mule-519
Midgex

Post by Midgex »

Has been recommended as the cure for this.
It makes a degree of sense.
TimF

Post by TimF »

I've only ever had this when the parking sensors pick up foliage and decide the car can't possibly be allowed to make contact with it. This emergency stop, even at very low speeds, makes a hell of a bang - when it happened the first few times I thought I must have hit something.

Another example of a "smart" system having limited capabilities, and erring on the side of caution. Great for safety overall, not so great for convenience when there is a flower bed alongside the drive!
Chris R

Post by Chris R »

It’s great when there is a low stone wall hidden by the plants!!!
Midgex

Post by Midgex »

TimF wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:55 pm ... when the parking sensors pick up foliage and decide the car can't possibly be allowed...

Another example of a "smart" system having limited capabilities, and erring on the side of caution. Great for safety overall, not so great for convenience when there is a flower bed alongside the drive!

"I love what you've done with the garden"
"It was the car, it insisted."
;)
TimF

Post by TimF »

Midgex wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:18 pm
TimF wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:55 pm ... when the parking sensors pick up foliage and decide the car can't possibly be allowed...

"I love what you've done with the garden"
"It was the car, it insisted."
;)
:lol: