multiple software glitches

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Nomeantom

Post by Nomeantom »

After a year of enjoyable and trouble free driving, I now have multiple difficulties. These include warning "electric drive not working correctly", on and off but mostly on, heating turning itself off, phone not connecting, voice commands not working, screen crashing and restarting, front sensors not working etc. Been back to my local dealer twice and now booked in to a service centre at another city where they supposedly have more expertise to sort it out. Is there anything else I can do? Am I safe to continue going on longer trips?

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

The electric drive error is often (but not always) due to an anomaly detected in the main battery after the 3.2 software update. Supposedly it's fine to drive and is more of a proactive recall to protect against enhanced degradation in future if any cells are found to be "bad".
However the same dashboard error can mean other things. Some time ago there were a few faulty battery coolant pumps that resulted in the same thing. The dealer should be able to tell as they get a more refined fault diagnosis than you get in the dash. If they have sent it off to a battery competence centres, that indicates they think it's the battery. If so, be prepared for a lengthy wait as there are a lot of cars having this work done and not enough battery competence centres. Have you got a courtesy car?

Your other errors are unlikely to be related to the above. It might be worth just resetting your infotainment to see if that resolves most of them (press and hold the button bottom left of the screen). Front sensor errors may well be due to frost, this error is normal when it drops to zero overnight, until the frost melts off or you clean the sensors.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
id3_life

Post by id3_life »

Car says to take it to the dealer.
If it has already been twice to the dealer a simple "reset" or wait & see period will not fix it (unless dealer is completely incompetent which I doubt).
This is a hardware fault (battery module/cooling pump/anything really) and will need trouble shooting/part ordering/installing/testing.
Let the dealer do their job, car is under warranty, get an equivalent hire car from them, fix may take weeks/months, in the mean time enjoy racking up the miles in their hire car.
If you continue driving the car you are delaying the inevitable, running out of warranty, damaging the car or both.
Nomeantom

Post by Nomeantom »

thanks for the advice, I have a booking to fix the battery issue and I'm just about to collect the car after another attempt to reset the screen by my local dealer, will have to see how that goes now. Recently the screen has been crashing on every journey, which is getting annoying!
DCB

Post by DCB »

My screen has crashed twice -unnerving when driving. Only happened since latest update, two weeks ago. A coincidence?
Wojtek

Post by Wojtek »

Most of the errors can be resolved by using OBD for VW.
I had a terrible issue with infotainment screen, it looks itself for about a week, the only thing it was displaying was a clock. I've plugged ODB, clear all errors and did hard reset from the app. So far it works fine - no issues.