Winter range

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
phixion

Post by phixion »

Handydave wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:59 pm
phixion wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:02 pm I find the brakes to be lacking in D mode, pretty scary going from B to D after a while, feels like the car isn't going to stop.
That’s because it isn’t going to stop - it’s coasting. To stop in D mode, use the brake. The only time you’ll get regenerative braking in D mode is;
- when going downhill, it aims to maintain speed
- when using ACC and slower vehicle in front
- when using speed limit assist or eco assist
I mean that in D mode it feels like the brakes are lacking... I much prefer B, it feels as if the brakes are more effective because as soon as you start lifting off the accelerator it slows.

I know it's coasting in D when you release the accelerator, just like it does in previous Golf DSGs I had, but the brakes are nowhere near as good as the Golfs I previously had.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Glacier White Metallic Flat Black | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | BP Pulse Home Charger

Neilg3

Post by Neilg3 »

Has anyone else noticed a large drop in range at the recall? My ID3 had an 80% range of 209 miles prior to the recall last summer it's now 174 miles. If you did how was it resolved.
Midgex

Post by Midgex »

phixion wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:29 am
Handydave wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:59 pm
phixion wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:02 pm I find the brakes to be lacking in D mode, pretty scary going from B to D after a while, feels like the car isn't going to stop.
That’s because it isn’t going to stop - it’s coasting. To stop in D mode, use the brake. ....
... prefer B, it feels as if the brakes are more effective because as soon as you start lifting off the accelerator it slows.

I know it's coasting in D when you release the accelerator, just like it does in previous Golf DSGs I had, but the brakes are nowhere near as good as the Golfs I previously had.

Ignoring anything the car does automagically with D and B, isn't that a driving style tending to lower efficiency?
The resistance to the wheels turning the electric transmission and motor seems likely to be less than that for a coasting ICEV, which would be an advantage. Ceasing power a little earlier before a junction so as not to need to brake so much has always been a way to increase mileage.

I think the brakes are excellent. I try not to use the mechanical brakes, but when I do or the car does it is like but preferable to hitting a wall.
GeoffP

Post by GeoffP »

I also notice a significant miles per kWh drop in winter and I put that down mainly to the heating. Which actually raises a question? How on earth do I get the car to remember the heating setting I had last time? Getting in the car and setting off it seems to default to 22degC with the A/C on (for demisting?). If I drive like that then the range is way down. I can turn the heating down or off and get increased range for that journey, but the next time I get in the car it is back at 22degC again. What I really want to do is to have a very low level fan to keep the windscreen clear, and no heating or A/Cat all. And for that to be the default setting every time I start. But for the life of me I can't work out how to do that!
ID.3 Family Pro Performance
Moonstone Grey
Breeze Poole Order date 11/11/21
VW Order number 3154XXXX provided 04/01/22
Worse predicted build Wk14 2023
Came in to a confirmed build Wk3
Collected Monday 27th Feb 2023
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

GeoffP wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:11 pm I also notice a significant miles per kWh drop in winter and I put that down mainly to the heating. Which actually raises a question? How on earth do I get the car to remember the heating setting I had last time? Getting in the car and setting off it seems to default to 22degC with the A/C on (for demisting?). If I drive like that then the range is way down. I can turn the heating down or off and get increased range for that journey, but the next time I get in the car it is back at 22degC again. What I really want to do is to have a very low level fan to keep the windscreen clear, and no heating or A/Cat all. And for that to be the default setting every time I start. But for the life of me I can't work out how to do that!
You can do what you suggest by turning the temp to LO, reducingthefan speed and directing it at the windscreen. I'd suggest keeping A/C as its effect is very small and it'll help keep things clearer.
The car should remember your previous settings when you turn it on. Have you got a preheat schedule set via the app or something?
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Midgex

Post by Midgex »

I've repeated a journey I did several times in the summer, across the country.
In summer I had to start with it charged, charge once on the way, and plug in when I arrived, each way.

Yesterday was the same.

There'll be someone whose journey has gone from one stop to two stops, but most of our journeys are going to be none, one, or two stops, and stay that way, I think.
GeoffP

Post by GeoffP »

sidehaas wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:29 pm
GeoffP wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:11 pm I also notice a significant miles per kWh drop in winter and I put that down mainly to the heating. Which actually raises a question? How on earth do I get the car to remember the heating setting I had last time? Getting in the car and setting off it seems to default to 22degC with the A/C on (for demisting?). If I drive like that then the range is way down. I can turn the heating down or off and get increased range for that journey, but the next time I get in the car it is back at 22degC again. What I really want to do is to have a very low level fan to keep the windscreen clear, and no heating or A/Cat all. And for that to be the default setting every time I start. But for the life of me I can't work out how to do that!
You can do what you suggest by turning the temp to LO, reducing the fan speed and directing it at the windscreen. I'd suggest keeping A/C as its effect is very small and it'll help keep things clearer.
The car should remember your previous settings when you turn it on. Have you got a preheat schedule set via the app or something?
Thank you, that worked perfectly and now getting 4.5mpkWh whereas I was gettting less than 4 before. It has also remembered that setting the last few times so don't know what was going on there.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance
Moonstone Grey
Breeze Poole Order date 11/11/21
VW Order number 3154XXXX provided 04/01/22
Worse predicted build Wk14 2023
Came in to a confirmed build Wk3
Collected Monday 27th Feb 2023
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

GeoffP wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:33 pm
sidehaas wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:29 pm
You can do what you suggest by turning the temp to LO, reducing the fan speed and directing it at the windscreen. I'd suggest keeping A/C as its effect is very small and it'll help keep things clearer.
Thank you, that worked perfectly and now getting 4.5mpkWh whereas I was gettting less than 4 before. It has also remembered that setting the last few times so don't know what was going on there.
Great stuff glad to help. 4.5 in winter is brilliant.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
ar76

Post by ar76 »

sidehaas wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:43 pm I'd say you are doing pretty well. I tend to expect 200-220 in summer and 180 in winter. If there is standing water, high winds or unusual cold it can be less.
58KWh Max Pro Perf here. At 80% battery the car is saying 143 miles! When driving it it’s generally saying 3.0 miles per kWh since charge. I have the 1st edition 58KWh model. The mileage is only 1700 after 4 months. Worried I’m not driving it enough.

I’m always using Eco mode and sticking to 60mph on longer trips but I have used Sport mode on shorter trips when I know I can get it home. So maybe that has thrown off its estimates.

When it was new the car had a stated range of 230 miles. Hoping it will improve again with warmer weather.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

ar76 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:08 am
sidehaas wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:43 pm I'd say you are doing pretty well. I tend to expect 200-220 in summer and 180 in winter. If there is standing water, high winds or unusual cold it can be less.
58KWh Max Pro Perf here. At 80% battery the car is saying 143 miles! When driving it it’s generally saying 3.0 miles per kWh since charge. I have the 1st edition 58KWh model. The mileage is only 1700 after 4 months. Worried I’m not driving it enough.

I’m always using Eco mode and sticking to 60mph on longer trips but I have used Sport mode on shorter trips when I know I can get it home. So maybe that has thrown off its estimates.

When it was new the car had a stated range of 230 miles. Hoping it will improve again with warmer weather.
Well, 143 miles from 80% would be 178 miles from 100%. This is just down to the cold weather. Efficiency is especially bad on short trips with the heating on. It'll rise substantially in spring.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

EV’s will lose 20-30% of their range in winter. It’s that simple. All sorts of reasons but you can’t escape that I’m afraid.

Below 10 degrees it starts going south… we’re lucky in the UK though - as hot temps lead to faster battery deg. So we sit in a sort of sweet spot temp wise.
ar76

Post by ar76 »

Reassuring to know it’s within normal expectations then! It was just 3° the other day.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Wait until a March April warm spell and that range will surge back! 😀
marsam71

Post by marsam71 »

I have done just under 20,000miles in a year, largely driving from Cambridge to north London and back 3-4 times a week with a bit of town/ country driving also. I got up to an average of 4.6 miles / kWh by about Aug but now it’s dipped to 4.2 kWh (ave of 20,000 miles). Most I’ve used to London and back is 65% of battery and that’s with heating on and traffic. Today I used 55% which was 4 degrees aM and about 6-8 degrees evening. I don’t worry about efficiency it is what it is. Sometimes it does surprise me a little but it’s pretty consistent. I drive about 65 mph ish (hard to go any faster) and I don’t accelerate quickly or anything.