Software Update

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

The car did a software update yesterday yet still showing 3.2!

Anyone else notice this?
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max

Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

I got a message about a software update, just as I had to get out of the car and drop my wife off.
When I got back in I could not find it again. No idea what it was supposed to update.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
fin

Post by fin »

I think it was just an update to the digital manual in the infotainment.
StewartManley

Post by StewartManley »

Does nobody read the information displayed with the update?

It was the digital manual, as was clearly shown.
2021 Tour Pro S, software v3.2, Stonewashed Blue.
lntelligent Octopus Go. Zappi. Solar.
EV driver since early 2018. E-cyclist. Retired.
Octopus referral https://share.octopus.energy/tough-lark-325
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

StewartManley wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:17 am Does nobody read the information displayed with the update?

Some people have had a couple of updates. There has been the digital manual one but some have received another one as well which said it would take 15 minutes so was presumably something a little more substantial.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
g320y

Post by g320y »

Just digital manual for me (car is running 3.5) - couple of minutes and done.
Midgex

Post by Midgex »

DumfriesDik wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:46 am The car did a software update yesterday yet still showing 3.2!
As above, but also, the likely update to the programs I'd expect would be a patch of some part of it, with the version number remaining unchanged.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

StewartManley wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:17 am Does nobody read the information displayed with the update?

Haven't been in my car last couple of days and am on 3.7 so not sure if I will get the update or not.

Regarding the messages though it really shouldn't be difficult for the car to be able to display a log of what updates have been applied and when. Does anyone know if other cars do this? Would be helpful I think.

I also find a lot of the messages the car displays don't display for very long and once they are gone they are gone.
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

Raxacorico wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:14 am I got a message about a software update, just as I had to get out of the car and drop my wife off.
When I got back in I could not find it again. No idea what it was supposed to update.
Top right of the screen is a message icon, it displays how many messages you have. Click on that and you should see the update there. Which took seconds.
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

DumfriesDik wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:04 pm
Raxacorico wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:14 am I got a message about a software update, just as I had to get out of the car and drop my wife off.
Top right of the screen is a message icon, it displays how many messages you have. Click on that and you should see the update there. Which took seconds.
Thanks! Just tried it - digital manual update. We live and learn.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
TimF

Post by TimF »

Does anyone know if those of us on 3.2 will get more recent versions? Also, whatever the answer is, is that good news or bad?
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

TimF wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:57 pm Does anyone know if those of us on 3.2 will get more recent versions? Also, whatever the answer is, is that good news or bad?
Yes is the answer to that. VW have just released info on the FaceBook VW ID drivers club that people with 3.1 & 3.2 will get 3.2.1 (what's in that I'm not sure)
Cars with 3.5 will get 3.7 but you have to log in to my Volkswagen and consent to OTA updates. Its just a toggle within the settings.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

This is from VW

📣 Next OTA updates starting soon!
Hello everyone,
we've been pretty quiet about OTA updates for some time now. This is due to the fact that we were (and still are) in preparation for the coming waves of updates and have also made sure that the vehicles come to a uniform baseline with various smaller updates in the meantime. With these updates, which only affected some of the vehicles at a time, we compensated for minimal deviations due to changes in the ECUs carried out during the year in production.
In the coming weeks, the following measures will be launched:
1. Due to a legal requirement, we are now launching a consent request for OTA updates on the Volkswagen website. Please visit myVolkswagen, login and give your consent via the toggle to continue receiving OTA updates. The consent is given once and is valid until you revoke it. If the consent request does not appear automatically via pop-up, please navigate to your privacy settings and scroll down to the "Online Remote Updates" section, where you can give consent per vehicle. If you don't see the option yet, please try again in a few days. Depending on the country, it may take some time to update the website.
2. Starting this week, OTA updates to ID. Software 3.2.1 will start for vehicles that currently have ID. Software 3.1 or 3.2 installed. Vehicles below 3.1 will continue to be updated in the workshops.
3. At the same time, we are working on the finalization of the ID. Software 3.7 OTA update (replacing the previous 3.5).
As usual, the updates will be rolled out in the form of so-called canary releases. This means that we will start the first wave with a small number of vehicles. Subsequent waves will gradually be launched with a growing number of vehicles. This gives us the opportunity to react quickly in the event of unforeseen problems in the process.
The updates are downloaded in the background when a mobile connection is established. As soon as the download is complete, a message will appear in the infotainment display and you can start the update at your preferred time from the goodbye screen.
You can find more information about our software updates here:
https://softwareupdates.volkswagen.com/ ... dates.html
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

Bit puzzled by this bit :

"3. At the same time, we are working on the finalization of the ID. Software 3.7 OTA update (replacing the previous 3.5)."

as the software version on my car already says it is on 3.7, which followed an OTA update a day or too after I picked it up in November last year.
Mark55

Post by Mark55 »

Well I visited myVolkswagen, and managed to update for updates. So it is available now.
ID.3 Max Pro Performance ordered September 2021.
Glacier White Metallic Flat black
Delivered May 2023. Running 3.2
Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/dusky-quail-943
ar76

Post by ar76 »

DumfriesDik wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:46 am The car did a software update yesterday yet still showing 3.2!

Anyone else notice this?
My ID.3 is still on 3.2 and it says there are no updates available. I was led to believe from this forum that it could be upgraded to 3.5 at a VW service centre. I booked it in only to have someone call back and cancel the appointment - telling me that my ID.3 cannot be upgraded beyond 3.2 and they can only do the same over the air updates that I can do at home anyway/

This is pretty crap because it's full of bugs
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

ar76 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:31 pm

Anyone else notice this?
My ID.3 is still on 3.2 and it says there are no updates available. I was led to believe from this forum that it could be upgraded to 3.5 at a VW service centre. I booked it in only to have someone call back and cancel the appointment - telling me that my ID.3 cannot be upgraded beyond 3.2 and they can only do the same over the air updates that I can do at home anyway/

This is pretty crap because it's full of bugs
Not sure who said you could get 3.5, you can't.
There is an OTA update coming soon to 3.2.1, if you have enabled ota update permissions for your car on the website.
My best interpretation of VW's posts is that tyere is also an OTA update to 3.7 being developed (bypassing 3.5).
Neither of these are actually released yet and I don't know what any of them actually include.

Having had several software versions, my experience is that the number of bugs now is less than when I got the car, but has varied with software version. 2.3 was actually pretty much free of major bugs for me but the infotainment gradually got more and more laggy. 2.4 introduced some bigger bugs and I was keen to get off it fast. 3.0 OTA was a vast improvement. 3.2 has done very little over 3.0, otherthan introducing the dreaded battery check which makes it more likely you'll get a drive error warning (not a bug). But I know others have felt differently - it seems that some cars work better with different software versions than others.
If it's truly "pretty crap" and "full of bugs" then it's likely you actually have a control module fault somewhere. It depends on the nature of the bug, but a lot of things people put down to ID3 software bugs aren't.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
ar76

Post by ar76 »

sidehaas wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:00 am If it's truly "pretty crap" and "full of bugs" then it's likely you actually have a control module fault somewhere. It depends on the nature of the bug, but a lot of things people put down to ID3 software bugs aren't.
“Pretty crap” was in reference to the miscommunication from VW. The actual VW service centre told me over the phone they could update it and they booked me in over the phone to do it. Then they called back and cancelled it very last minute.

I’m very happy with the car overall. The bugs are annoying but don’t affect driving. Things like - the app shows a much reduced range when the car is switched off. And also about once a day the car says “new settings are available” and then all the settings get reset, including seat position. If pressing cancel it just nags endlessly. And often having to reboot the infotainment system because it’s unresponsive and / or won’t connect to my phone.

I can live with it but when you have a brand new car under warranty you kind of want it to be perfect and to not have to live with problems.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

ar76 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:38 am
sidehaas wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:00 am If it's truly "pretty crap" and "full of bugs" then it's likely you actually have a control module fault somewhere. It depends on the nature of the bug, but a lot of things people put down to ID3 software bugs aren't.
“Pretty crap” was in reference to the miscommunication from VW. The actual VW service centre told me over the phone they could update it and they booked me in over the phone to do it. Then they called back and cancelled it very last minute.

I’m very happy with the car overall. The bugs are annoying but don’t affect driving. Things like - the app shows a much reduced range when the car is switched off. And also about once a day the car says “new settings are available” and then all the settings get reset, including seat position. If pressing cancel it just nags endlessly. And often having to reboot the infotainment system because it’s unresponsive and / or won’t connect to my phone.

I can live with it but when you have a brand new car under warranty you kind of want it to be perfect and to not have to live with problems.
The new settings issue affects many cars built with 3.x (as they were the first to have multiple user preferences activated) but there's a known software patch at the dealer (just a minor patch, not a version update) which is supposed to fix it. If you can find the tpi number on the forums or Facebook groups (I've seen it shared several times) you should be able to get your dealer to fix it. Apologies I don't have the details as my car came on 2.3 so never suffered this issue.
Gannet15

Post by Gannet15 »

I am one of the unfortunate ones still on software 2.4.
Could not get original OTA update in Sept 2022, advised to book in at local service centre and had a date in April 2023 for 3.something update but centre cancelled at 48 hours notice "due to persistent failures and instruction from VW to re-direct update to VW HV centre."
Made a booking and now have a date of late March 2024 - eighteen months after original OTA date of Sept 2022!
I no longer have any faith in VW software and, if update is successful, I will be selling my iD3 as soon as possible afterwards and changing to a different manufacturer, possibly Korean.