Incorrect range shown in App

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Daw

Post by Daw »

Whilst this has been posted before I would like to gauge how much of a problem this is still. After the last dealer software update my app started to toggle between showing the range incorrectly in taking the actual miles range from the car and assuming this was km and hence showing a reduced mileage range. The difference is always the same factor of km to miles. The percentage battery is always correct. There is absolute no pattern as to when it shows the correct or incorrect range. I’ve had lots of email exchange with VW with none of their solutions working so I’ve kind of given up now as they seem incapable of recognising it is a software issue when the car communicates to the data centre and the data centre communicates with the app. As there is a delay now in the app updating I assume their processes of communication with data centre have changed. Are they collecting more data from owners cars I wonder ?
Anyone else with this problem?

SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety »

Yes, problem persists on my car: if the car is fully-charged to its 80% target level, it will always show the incorrect range in the app. Disconnecting the car from the charger sometimes restores the correct mileage. If the car is not at its target charge level, app display is correct
id3 Max 2021
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

It was never much of a problem and still isn’t.
Firstly, if you're aware of the bug then it's fairly obvious when it's happening and you can just mentally multiply by 1.5 (or 1.6 if you wish).
Secondly, looking at the range (GOM) in the app is pointless anyway. The GOM is only ever accurate once you are a decent portion into a long journey...at which time you have it in front of you on the driver display. The only thing you should look at in the app is SoC %. I actually think it'd be better if the range number was removed entirely to prevent people being misled about the state of their car/battery.

But if this is what you are looking for, I'm pretty sure it affects everyone, at least with up to and including software 3.2 on their cars.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety »

Agree with sidehaas: it's not a problem, just indicative of the poor quality of the software/system. Perhaps VW should have asked Fujitsu to....er, wait.....scrub that thought eh?
id3 Max 2021
Mo1

Post by Mo1 »

Last few days the mileage in the app has been correct every time I've opened it, even tried multiple open/close which always triggered incorrect mileage before. Anyone else?
iD3 Tour 77kWh, White 73 Plate.
Octopus energy £50 referral https://share.octopus.energy/ashen-mule-519

Octopus Juice £5 referral https://electricjuice.octopus.energy/network/sign-up?referralCode=ashen-mule-519
NoddyNinja

Post by NoddyNinja »

Same here after 3.2 update
Noticed problem is always present when car is in “sleep” mode and corrects itself as soon as car “wakes up” and syncs
Thinking it is a UK issue, us using miles instead of Km’s
IMHO great car, the range issue is no more then a very small irritation
Big277wave

Post by Big277wave »

A similar irritation for me is when the navigation tells me it's a mile to the junction when you are clearly 1km away.
1st Ed turquoise, white interior, 9/2020
Family Pro preformance, Makena turquoise, Andoya alloys
Ordered 22/9/ 2021 replacing 1st Ed which has been unreliable
Order No 31364***, pre order from July 2021
Status 70 on 25/11/22, build wk38
Jonty0560

Post by Jonty0560 »

I have this issue as well. Informed VW about it and all they can say is send us some photo’s, check app is up to date, etc etc. Didn’t click that it was out by a factor of 1.6. Living with it now. Sod VW and their crappy software.
Id3 Max, stonewash blue, purchased June 21
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

I haven't had the issue with the incorrect range showing in the app for quite a few weeks now. Used to get it quite regularly. Would be nice if they have actually fixed it.
herry13

Post by herry13 »

Ensure your app is updated and calibrated accurately. Factors like driving habits and environmental conditions can influence range estimates. If the issue persists, contacting customer support for troubleshooting assistance or recalibration guidance may resolve the discrepancy and restore confidence in the app's accuracy.
MattgID3

Post by MattgID3 »

herry13 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:49 pm Ensure your app is updated and calibrated accurately. Factors like driving habits and environmental conditions can influence range estimates. If the issue persists, contacting customer support for troubleshooting assistance or recalibration guidance may resolve the discrepancy and restore confidence in the app's accuracy.
its down to the App thinking your cars range is KM and converting to Miles in the app (multiply by 1.6 for actual range). its a known issue but hasnt been fixed as yet by VW.

if you change the app settings: units to KM from automatic you get the correct range, just ignore the KM and imagine its saying MI.
Id3 family pro
Stonewash blue
Ordered 8/8/21
was Eta 17th jan 23
Delivery 14th DEC 2022
Build week 40 confirmed

Location South Gloucestershire