Charging only @3.6kw

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Grahamc

Post by Grahamc »

I have a Garo Entity Pro charger which is only charging at 3.6kw and I would like to be charging at 7kw, I have set the reduced ac charging to off both in the car and in the app. Is there any other setting in the car that would limit the amps to 3.6kw or does anyone know of any setting in the charger which would allow me to charge at 7kw. Sorry if this is a silly question but the installer says that it is set up for 32amps and says it must be the charger, can anyone help me. This is my first EV, thanks for any input.

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Check your charger settings? Some have way of reducing the output. 3.4 translates to roughly 16amps. 32a is the max for most non three phase home chargers.
Midgex

Post by Midgex »

My Zappi charger wallbox offers Fast, Eco which limits the charge rate but listens for reasons to increase it, and Eco ++ which allows me to tell it to charge only when the solar panels are producing enough to make a set proportion of the charge come from them. 50% green, or 100% green or 10% green or whatever.

Do you have something similar in there?

There are also controls based on time and rate, and either the charger or the car might conceivably be charging to finish at a time (0730 tomorrow for instance) rather than as soon as possible.
StewartManley

Post by StewartManley »

Are you scheduling charging for overnight? Some vehicles had an issue where they didnt "wake up" properly and charged at a reduced rate.

Failing that, are you sure the cable is rated for 32A and not 16A?
2021 Tour Pro S, software v3.2, Stonewashed Blue.
lntelligent Octopus Go. Zappi. Solar.
EV driver since early 2018. E-cyclist. Retired.
Octopus referral https://share.octopus.energy/tough-lark-325
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

FWIW the 'reduced rate' when the charge at reduced AC rate tab is clicked on the car is 2kw (granny charger speed) on a 7kw charger and 6kw on an 11kw charger. Well it has been for me this last week...
Grahamc

Post by Grahamc »

I have emailed Garo to see if the charger can limit the amperage, I do not have solar panels so that cannot interfere with the output, I am not scheduling for overnight as I am still with Shell and have not been swapped to Octopus yet and do not have the reduced rate for the same reason.
Thank you for all your replies, I will keep trying.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Grahamc wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:02 pm I have emailed Garo to see if the charger can limit the amperage, I do not have solar panels so that cannot interfere with the output, I am not scheduling for overnight as I am still with Shell and have not been swapped to Octopus yet and do not have the reduced rate for the same reason.
Thank you for all your replies, I will keep trying.
Try plugging your car in to a public 7kw AC charger and see if it charges correctly there. Ideally, with your own cable and with a tethered cable if one is available (although there are not many tethered AC points about). Then you narrow down the possible causes.
Cable could be a likely candidate, unless it's a new car in case the supplied cable should be rated for 32A.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Grahamc

Post by Grahamc »

Thanks for the reply, the car is new and the cable was supplied with it.
wr21lge

Post by wr21lge »

Hi,

We have had this issue with reduced charge on and off for the last 2 years with PodPoint.

I get the impression that the VW software platform presents them (and others) with considerable issues.

It all centres around how they wake the car up to take a charge - this seems to be the difficult bit.

If you unplug the car and plug it back in - then all is good - it's about when the car goes to sleep plugged in that the issues can sometimes start.

For us it mostly just works on a PodPoint schedule at 6.5 to 7 kwh- but every so often it will only charge at 3.6 with a few peaks at 4 in a charge session.

I have a Tronity account, so I can see what happens though the night.

In our case Podpoint are in the process of giving up, they have offered us money back under the remit that it remains confidential.

Yes - a gagging clause.

I've asked VW to comment.

Go figure.

Cheers

Ted.
id3 Tech Pro Reg March 2021 bought 1st of November 2021 (Ex Demo)
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

wr21lge wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:13 am Hi,

We have had this issue with reduced charge on and off for the last 2 years with PodPoint.

I get the impression that the VW software platform presents them (and others) with considerable issues.

It all centres around how they wake the car up to take a charge - this seems to be the difficult bit.

If you unplug the car and plug it back in - then all is good - it's about when the car goes to sleep plugged in that the issues can sometimes start.

For us it mostly just works on a PodPoint schedule at 6.5 to 7 kwh- but every so often it will only charge at 3.6 with a few peaks at 4 in a charge session.

I have a Tronity account, so I can see what happens though the night.

In our case Podpoint are in the process of giving up, they have offered us money back under the remit that it remains confidential.

Yes - a gagging clause.

I've asked VW to comment.

Go figure.

Cheers

Ted.
The issues you describe first manifested from software 2.3 and from 3.0 onwards more widely. Not sure why. Ohme were able to solve it inside a few months. I thought PodPoint had too, but perhaps not completely.
This is only relevant when the car is using a schedule set by the charger. As such, it isn't the issue for the OP - they aren't scheduling. If it's causing you a problem, I recommend just scheduling using the car. Since 3.0/3.2 this is reliable. If you get money from PodPoint you have done very well out of it.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
wr21lge

Post by wr21lge »

Yes I was pondering switching to Intelligent Octopus Go charging - I think then Octopus talk tothe car and tell it when to start andd stop charging, but I have not verified that yet.
id3 Tech Pro Reg March 2021 bought 1st of November 2021 (Ex Demo)
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

wr21lge wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:36 am Yes I was pondering switching to Intelligent Octopus Go charging - I think then Octopus talk tothe car and tell it when to start andd stop charging, but I have not verified that yet.
That's right. Although IO is a pretty complex set up. If all you want to do is solve the problem above, you just need to set the PodPoint to always on and then create a schedule in the car's charging menu using a charging location.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

IO isnt too bad to get running and does then mean your charging point runs effectively as a dumb socket.. so no need to use any podpoint software or scheduling etc...