Will the 12V battery drain if I sit in the car for a long time?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
vanb

Post by vanb »

Sorry if this is a silly question but I’m hoping that someone will be able to educate me.

I arrived 1 hour early for an appointment so went to get a drink and took it back to the car to wait. Obviously, once sat back in the driver’s seat the car came on-radio and air conditioning. I’m not sure if you can really switch the car off fully and sit in the driver’s seat. I sat there for about 20 minutes but then got out of the car as I was worried that the 12V battery would be affected if I sat there for a long period of time. I didn’t want to get back to my car to find it wouldn’t start and the AA/RAC would have to jump start it to get it going.

The reason I ask is that this happened to my friend in her ICE Honda Jazz. She sat in her car listening to the radio. It happened to her twice and yet the garage said that there was nothing wrong with her 12V battery.

Could this happen to the ID3?

Thanks

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I believe that if you press the brake to turn the car on, the HV battery is connected and topping up the 12V.
I'm not certain if you have sat down without pressing the brake but I'd guess it'd be fine.
If you have "optimised battery use" selected in the app, the HV battery should keepnthe 12V topped up actively/regularly when the car is off too.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22). Also an ID.4 Max. Ohme Home Pro charger.
vanb

Post by vanb »

sidehaas wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 12:58 pm I believe that if you press the brake to turn the car on, the HV battery is connected and topping up the 12V.
I'm not certain if you have sat down without pressing the brake but I'd guess it'd be fine.
If you have "optimised battery use" selected in the app, the HV battery should keepnthe 12V topped up actively/regularly when the car is off too.
Many thanks. I did think about putting my foot on the brake so the HV battery would keep the 12V battery topped up. Just wondered what might happen if I didn’t. I’ll just make sure I activate the HV battery in future, just in case.