Hi all, what’s the expected range per hour for charging?

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

phixion wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:11 pm
scott28tt wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:05 pmIt was still delivering 7kW, the same as it would do in the middle of July when the car would probably say 28mph (or something around that), this is why expressing the charge rate in mph is confusing.

Can you expand on this please? Surely charging at 30mph is faster than 21mph?

I feel like I'm missing some information! :lol:

What you might be missing is something called “maths” ;)

Most ID.3s have a 58kWh battery, and most home chargers are 7kW, that means your charger can add 12% of your battery’s total capacity per hour.

Let’s say it’s July and your ID.3 predicts a range of 240 miles at 100% charge, that means every 1% gives you 2.4 miles of range, so charging 12% per hour translates to 28.8mph.

Now it’s December and your predicted range is only 180 miles at 100% charge, that means each 1% gives you 1.8 miles of range, charging 12% per hour this time only translates to 21.6mph.

Nothing has changed in terms of your charging rate between July and December, in both cases it’s STILL 7kW and that’s STILL 12% of your capacity.

phixion

Post by phixion »

scott28tt wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:41 pm What you might be missing is something called “maths” ;)

Most ID.3s have a 58kWh battery, and most home chargers are 7kW, that means your charger can add 12% of your battery’s total capacity per hour.

Let’s say it’s July and your ID.3 predicts a range of 240 miles at 100% charge, that means every 1% gives you 2.4 miles of range, so charging 12% per hour translates to 28.8mph.

Now it’s December and your predicted range is only 180 miles at 100% charge, that means each 1% gives you 1.8 miles of range, charging 12% per hour this time only translates to 21.6mph.

Nothing has changed in terms of your charging rate between July and December, in both cases it’s STILL 7kW and that’s STILL 12% of your capacity.

I never was good at maths :lol:

Saw a few screenshots from android in the WeConnect App, it seems they have added the kW rate of charge, update still yet to come on iOS.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Glacier White Metallic Flat Black | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | BP Pulse Home Charger
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

phixion wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:11 pm
scott28tt wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:05 pmIt was still delivering 7kW, the same as it would do in the middle of July when the car would probably say 28mph (or something around that), this is why expressing the charge rate in mph is confusing.

Can you expand on this please? Surely charging at 30mph is faster than 21mph?

I feel like I'm missing some information! :lol:
THis might make sense (might not)

Imagine you pull up to a petrol pump to fill up a 60 litre tank you're in a small economical hatch that does 50 mpg (11mpl approx) imagine just for maths it takes 10 mins to fill the tank, the fill rate in MPH is 3960mph

Now imagine a muscle car pulls up that does 25 mpg (approx 5.5 mpl) the same 10 minutes to fuil the tank but the effective fill rate would be 1980mph

It's a indiacation of how fast the charge will be used not how fast it's going in.